Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I actually prefer "carnival detournement" but only by a narrow margin. [/url]
    I don't reach for The Hamster all that often now-a-days, but when I reach for The Hamster, I usually play the live disc, which was an amazing performance [I was there and was wowed. Hugh was there and was wowed] that somehow, luckily, got captured.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Playing this now having neglected it too long, what a wonderfully quirky fun different album. I think it was markwoll who was stunned I didn't know it and told me to get it immediately given my tastes.
    Ha Ha, reverse psych. Too many omlauts for me to have just grabbed it. I may give it a listen, now.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Udi, are you still in contact with any of the members after Arik Hayat's passing? Was there ever any plans of trying to complete those followup-recordings? You once sent me MP3s of Arik's planned solo album as well (from right before his fatal choice, IIRC), but did they ever materialize into an "official" release?
    Yes we all just met a couple of weeks ago at his memorial
    I can’t remember what i sent
    But Arik had 2 soli albums
    Weird shit...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Thinking Plague is one of my favourite avant-prog bands. Maybe even the favourite one after the mighty Henry Cow. And it is delightful that it seems that TP is only getting better album by album as I thought the last one Hoping Against Hope (2017) is their finest album so far!
    Revisited and yes it an amazing epic album with so many layers and intricate arrangements. I think the vocals sound better than ever. I'm no longer sure I have a favorite TP album.

To my mind, TP seem to be along the path of Henry Cow, Art Bears and News from Babel. The steel thread of RIO/Avant "Rock", whatever that is.

Listening to Tipographica's God Says I Can't Dance for the first time and having my mind blown. Holy smokes this is some exciting music.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Listening to Tipographica's God Says I Can't Dance for the first time and having my mind blown. Holy smokes this is some exciting music.
    Yeah man! Great, mind-expanding music right there. Took me several listens to start unraveling the pieces enough to where they were making some sort of sense to my feeble mind. Love it though. So dense, and adventurous. Sounds like they were having fun too!

That one and Floating Opera are both great IMO. I still haven’t listened to their first two yet.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I always loved Thinking Plague, but they're also potentially "controversial" in that they were as informed by Yes and King Crimson as by Henry Cow and Art Bears etc. In this sense they are a token to one aspect of what "old" progressive rock would/might have naturally evolved into had it continued to actually develop and progress. And no, "progression" doesn't rely on whether or not established genre-enthusiasts "enjoy" the music but on whether there's further movement applicable with an inherent artistic ideal.

In other words, TP are progressive rock of here and now - period.

Yes and yes!, agree 100%.

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Yeah, that's no joke.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

HOLY SHIT

THE FLYING FUCKING LUTTENBACHERS ARE PLAYING IN LONDON

AND I HAVE GOT FUCKING TICKETS!!!1!!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but I feel compelled to recommend Wha-Ha-Ha every time one of these threads comes up:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    HOLY SHIT

haven't heard the new album yet, but it's a good lineup for the band. Brandon Seabrook is a great player!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hello Gang!
    Recommended:

“Salgan al sol!: Avant-rock en la Argentina del siglo XXI” (by buh records, Perú) (2015)

Great double CD compilation of 23 Argentine Avant-Garde Rock groups, this collection was curated by renowned music critic Norberto Cambiasso; a good guide IMO!.

https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-del-siglo-xxi

Groups and soloist artists:

COSO - Sincro - 01:02
    RESISTENCIA CHACO - Clotilde - 05:21
    ANTIHÉROE - Antígeno - 04:51
    RICARDA COMETA - Empina el codo - 02:46
    SALES DE BAÑO - Los mayores ríos se deslizan bajo tierra - 06:45
    FACTOR BURZACO - La vera storia di Tristan O.. - 06:08
    LAS OREJAS Y LA LENGUA - Sin título - 02:50
    EPN TRÍO - Vela, ve (Luego de Bela Bartok) - 07:48
    CUCAMONGA - Cletalandia - 05:30
    Ø+YN - Murmullo de cascada abrasiva - 06:06
    CIRULAR - 4 - 11:37
    VLUBÄ - Nilda Amil (Rainbow Mix) - 04:31
    KLUB DEL KLANG - A mover los Kant - 06:17
    CUCO - Hamaca - 04:27
    FUTBOL - El asedio a River Plate - 01:20
    CARLOS ALONSO - Baño de mostaza - 04:34
    CRIADERO DE SERES - Alicia bebiendo raki - 03:12
    LOS SÍQUICOS LITORALEÑOS - Sirena chunga y la movida solar - 03:26
    PESCADAS - Humano - 03:17
    ENSAMBLE DEL ESPINAL - Le hace ruiditos - 07:12
    HONDURAS - Canción cruda - 06:05
    D.I.E.T.R.I.C.H. - Mondeo - 07:18
    ALAN COURTIS - Arpón con hueso arponero - 06:10

Regards!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    haven't heard the new album yet, but it's a good lineup for the band. Brandon Seabrook is a great player!
    I think I saw him play with Ben Allison. This gig will be a bit different...

Bandcamp Profile

Banned
    Yep! Gotta pile on. First time I heard that frantic frenzy technical whirlwind of musicianship I was rather astounded.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!
    Recommended:

“Salgan al sol!: Avant-rock en la Argentina del siglo XXI” (by buh records, Perú) (2015)

Great double CD compilation of 23 Argentine Avant-Garde Rock groups, this collection was curated by renowned music critic Norberto Cambiasso; a good guide IMO!.

https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-del-siglo-xxi

Groups and soloist artists:

COSO - Sincro - 01:02
    RESISTENCIA CHACO - Clotilde - 05:21
    ANTIHÉROE - Antígeno - 04:51
    RICARDA COMETA - Empina el codo - 02:46
    SALES DE BAÑO - Los mayores ríos se deslizan bajo tierra - 06:45
    FACTOR BURZACO - La vera storia di Tristan O.. - 06:08
    LAS OREJAS Y LA LENGUA - Sin título - 02:50
    EPN TRÍO - Vela, ve (Luego de Bela Bartok) - 07:48
    CUCAMONGA - Cletalandia - 05:30
    Ø+YN - Murmullo de cascada abrasiva - 06:06
    CIRULAR - 4 - 11:37
    VLUBÄ - Nilda Amil (Rainbow Mix) - 04:31
    KLUB DEL KLANG - A mover los Kant - 06:17
    CUCO - Hamaca - 04:27
    FUTBOL - El asedio a River Plate - 01:20
    CARLOS ALONSO - Baño de mostaza - 04:34
    CRIADERO DE SERES - Alicia bebiendo raki - 03:12
    LOS SÍQUICOS LITORALEÑOS - Sirena chunga y la movida solar - 03:26
    PESCADAS - Humano - 03:17
    ENSAMBLE DEL ESPINAL - Le hace ruiditos - 07:12
    HONDURAS - Canción cruda - 06:05
    D.I.E.T.R.I.C.H. - Mondeo - 07:18
    ALAN COURTIS - Arpón con hueso arponero - 06:10

Regards!!.
    Sold!

Bandcamp Profile

Yay! A new Tipographica fan!

Can someone, anyone, please tell me if Akira Sotoyama is human? How that cat stays on top of the shit that is going on and swings the whole time while he's doing it defies the rational mind.

Bandcamp Profile

HOLY SHIT

Fookin' hell. I'll be in London then! But the crucial thing will be to persuade wife. Chances are low.

Yes! It is Lost Crowns album release day fellow avant-proggers. I havent had a listen yet but am very excited to once my lunch break comes.

https://lostcrowns.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Fookin' hell. I'll be in London then! But the crucial thing will be to persuade wife. Chances are low.
    Maybe you should give the wife a night off and come with me?? I bought two tickets, but I'm honestly not sure who I can get to go along. My wife has enjoyed KC, Magma, Guapo and Alamaailman Vasarat in concert, but she draws the line well short of Luttenbacherland. My other IRL friend who can be persuaded to do 'funny music' gigs didn't last to the end of a Zu set, so I reckon he'd be good for about two minutes of WW and friends.

Then again if you are on holiday together I can see that leaving her on her own for the evening might be a bit controversial. Wives are funny like that.

Bandcamp Profile

I'm honestly not sure who I can get to go along. My wife has enjoyed KC, Magma, Guapo and Alamaailman Vasarat in concert, but she draws the line well short of Luttenbacherland. My other IRL friend who can be persuaded to do 'funny music' gigs didn't last to the end of a Zu set, so I reckon he'd be good for about two minutes of WW and friends.
    Then try to imagine how long an average Wilson/Neal-geezer would last on confronted with the Weasel.

This being said, I have a hard time listening to more than 10 minutes at a time to the Retrospektiw IV collection of TFL.

And I keep thinking of those local black-metallers (including two members of Immortal) at the Garage club back in Bergen who fled horrified from that Ruins gig back in '99.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yes! It is Lost Crowns album release day fellow avant-proggers. I havent had a listen yet but am very excited to once my lunch break comes.

https://lostcrowns.bandcamp.com/
    Listening now at work, I pre-ordered so will download when I get home.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Maybe you should give the wife a night off and come with me?? I bought two tickets, but I'm honestly not sure who I can get to go along. My wife has enjoyed KC, Magma, Guapo and Alamaailman Vasarat in concert, but she draws the line well short of Luttenbacherland. My other IRL friend who can be persuaded to do 'funny music' gigs didn't last to the end of a Zu set, so I reckon he'd be good for about two minutes of WW and friends.

Then again if you are on holiday together I can see that leaving her on her own for the evening might be a bit controversial. Wives are funny like that.
    It's a 4day trip after a 6year gap between journeys abroad, so either we inflict her the Luttenbachers or it's not happening. I believe in the right state of - definitely intoxicated - mind, she might even get it. I wonder if there's any chance we find tickets at the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's a 4day trip after a 6year gap between journeys abroad, so either we inflict her the Luttenbachers or it's not happening. I believe in the right state of - definitely intoxicated - mind, she might even get it. I wonder if there's any chance we find tickets at the venue.
    I don't know the venue but looking on Google images it's not a large room. On the other hand, my experience is that obscure avant-rock gigs in London can be rather sparsely attended (more's the pity...) so I reckon there is a decent chance of tickets on the door. However if you are staying centrally you would be going well out of your way to go on spec as it's in Hackney (East London). If you like I can let you have my mobile number and if it looks as though the wife is persuadable you can call me and, assuming I'm there, I can tell you if it's sold out. My attendance does depend a bit on no family circumstances arising (we have a two year old) but I expect to be there.

Bandcamp Profile

^cheers for everything. The Hackney factor complicates a bit the issue. There's plenty of time ahead of us, so we'll see.