Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2019

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Shunned Country has one of my fav bass tones ever....evah... evah.
    I got that one recently but haven't had time to really listen to it.

But what I have listened is Cosa Brava's Ragged Atlas. God damn how I love that album! Does anyone know if this Fred Frith band is still ongoing project?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

giving The Muffins' 'Manna/Mirage' a spin today and it's making much more of an impression on me now than whenever I must have first listened to it! Very cool sound

Aquaserge
    N.O.R.M.A.
    ALEC K. REDFEARN AND THE EYESORES
    VOLAPÜK
    MAKE A RISING
    Songs Between Cities And Waterholes
    NORMAL LOVE
    ALBERT MARCOEUR
    THE SCIENCE GROUP
    AKSAK MABOUL
    KRALDJURSANSTALTEN
    NE ZHDALI
    CALOMITO
    CASSIBER
    COMBAT ASTRONOMY
    FORTRANGT HUSHALLSARBETE
    FUKKEDUK

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    THE SCIENCE GROUP
    AKSAK MABOUL
    COMBAT ASTRONOMY
    been on these myself too!

just got VA ‎– Studio Animals, Tape Number Four: The Album featuring some incredible music from Rascal Reporters, a really interesting track from World 48 and various other Avant-rock of a different tone from most of what I'm seeing listed here! Pretty interesting album
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Stud...elease/1480312

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I got that one recently but haven't had time to really listen to it.

But what I have listened is Cosa Brava's Ragged Atlas. God damn how I love that album! Does anyone know if this Fred Frith band is still ongoing project?
    I got Cosa Brava's second album The Letter (2012) today. There is lots of good stuff but second half of the album feels kind of disappointing. Little bit too unfocused and rambling.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Aquaserge
    N.O.R.M.A.
    ALEC K. REDFEARN AND THE EYESORES
    VOLAPÜK
    MAKE A RISING
    Songs Between Cities And Waterholes
    NORMAL LOVE
    ALBERT MARCOEUR
    THE SCIENCE GROUP
    AKSAK MABOUL
    KRALDJURSANSTALTEN
    NE ZHDALI
    CALOMITO
    CASSIBER
    COMBAT ASTRONOMY
    FORTRANGT HUSHALLSARBETE
    FUKKEDUK
    Ah yes, the most topical avant band of all, FUKKED UK.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

An album I keep coming back to again and again and again is Dave Willey - Immeasurable currents. I do not thnk I will EVER get bored of this album.

Any other fans?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Dave Willey - Immeasurable currents. I do not thnk I will EVER get bored of this album. Any other fans?
    Yup, big digger here. And to hear Deborah Perry and Elaine di Falco together - that's just heavenly. Still, this is certainly not a 'twee' release. Fabulous addition to the "artsong" book.

The originality of a work like this is staggering, and a complete blow to the face of the ignorant trope of "unmelodic avant" tossery.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yup, big digger here. And to hear Deborah Perry and Elaine di Falco together - that's just heavenly. Still, this is certainly not a 'twee' release. Fabulous addition to the "artsong" book.

The originality of a work like this is staggering, and a complete blow to the face of the ignorant trope of "unmelodic avant" tossery.
    And I think the basic concept of this album - putting the poems of his deceased father to music - adds a personal emotional layer that is pretty rare in this kind of music.

My most topical avant band is FUKKEDIGNORANTGREEK. This thread is embarrassing.

That Absolute Zero is pretty cool though. I love Pip in this exact context.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    An album I keep coming back to again and again and again is Dave Willey - Immeasurable currents. I do not thnk I will EVER get bored of this album.

Any other fans?
    Huge fan, it's a lovely album, for some reason it's always paired with 3 Mice in my mind.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Ah yes, the most topical avant band of all, FUKKED UK.
    Ah...I was reading it like "Fuck a duck" spoken fast. Thanks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The name of the band is meant to be pronounced as "Fuck A Duck". Definitely.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I was reading it like "Fuck a duck" spoken fast.
    It's both.

Like Jody Grind's Far Canal can also be read as "Fuckin' hell".
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You were right. It was just a bit of gallows humour on my part. Anything to distract from the looming precipice.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I was reading it like fooked a duck. Just an ordinary night out sentence in ol' Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    You were right. It was just a bit of gallows humour on my part. Anything to distract from the looming precipice.
    Well, when you go over the edge, you'll land on us.

Very drawn into The Mind Boggles, the 2008 album by Rascal Reporters (I believe mainly Steve Gore on this album with features). The melodies are just so addictive and evocative, as so much of the album plays I'm eagerly anticipating the next chord.
    Seems to have flown quite under the radar - highly recommend a purchase, I'd recommend My Amish Heart if just checking one track out first: https://rascalreporters.bandcamp.com...e-mind-boggles

Also a big fan of Immeasurable Currents - such a great mix of a more immediate rhythm section with intensely effective and beautiful sense of off kilter harmony

FORTRANGT HUSHALLSARBETE

One of my favorites from the avant zone.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^ Gesundheit!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    FORTRANGT HUSHALLSARBETE.
    Förträngt Hushållsarbete's Offret Om Att Älska is one of my fave 10 rock albums from the past 20 years. It's that colossaly good, that intensely different, that immensely powerful in both sound and statement.

Förträngt Hushållsarbete's Offret Om Att Älska is one of my fave 10 rock albums from the past 20 years. It's that colossaly good, that intensely different, that immensely powerful in both sound and statement.
    never heared of this one. Seems like I need to check it out.

Any other fans?
    Never heard this before. Listened once from Spotify and I think I need to get this cd. Very interesting stuff. Kind of easy to listen but still very sophisticated. Reminds me little bit of Bob Drake solo material and Henry Cow's more song oriented pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Reminds me little bit of Bob Drake solo material and Henry Cow's more song oriented pieces.
    Dave Willey was "schooled" in Thinking Plague (where Bob D. tended to play once) but is a visionary all on his own.

Dave Willey was "schooled" in Thinking Plague (where Bob D. tended to play once) but is a visionary all on his own.
    Yeah, I know about Drake's participation in Thinking Plague. I am proud owner of all Thinking Plague's albums except one.

Btw. I think this is an appropriate chance to once again promote this wonderful Mike Johnson interview (not by me) on my page: https://pienemmatpurot.wordpress.com...of-rock-music/