Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it spark joy?

Does it spark joy?

Who wants Marie Kondo to help you get rid ofyour record collection ?
    Last edited by alucard; 01-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Who TF is Marie Kondo?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Who TF is Marie Kondo?
    Marie Kondo has written four books on organizing, which have collectively sold millions of copies and have been translated from Japanese into languages including*Korean,Chinese,*Spanish,*Indonesian[3],*French,German,*Swedish,*Portuguese*and*English.[2]In particular, her book*The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing*(2011) has been published in more than 30 countries.[4]*It was a best-seller in Japan and in Europe, and was published in the United States in 2014.[2]

She was listed as one of*Times "100 most influential people" in 2015.[5]
    She just got a new TV show on Netflix : how to get rid of your prog cd collection

Tge basic idea you touch for example a cd you have a "spark of joy" you keep it otherways you get rid of it
    Last edited by alucard; 01-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Who wants Marie Kondo to hrlp you clean your record collection ?
    Did you mean 'help'?

She can clean my records if she's bored but I ain't paying her jackshit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Did you mean 'help'?

She can clean my records if she's bored but I ain't paying her jackshit for it.
    I think it's short for "hare lip," and no, I don't want her to hare lip my collection.

Not now, not later.

My complete collection sparks joy. No need for miss Condo. I rather spend the money she asks to buy more CD's.

I'm not a shoe-collector.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I should buy her book.

And then throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I should buy her book.

And then throw it away.
    I'm not going to buy her book. No use to buy something that doesn't spark joy, but sparks hate to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    My complete collection sparks joy. No need for miss Condo. I rather spend the money she asks to buy more CD's.

I'm not a shoe-collector.
    That's a bit what I thought too even so I am coming to the point that I want at least to slow down a bit buying vinyl and cds.

It's not meant for collectors, musicphiles, or bibliophiles - people with a passion for a certain thing. But movements like this, or Swedish death cleaning (yes, that is a thing), are an effort to clean out the useless clutter and detritus in our lives. As someone who has cleaned up after parents/in-laws born in the depression that could not part with a single fucking thing, I think this is healthy. Am I going to part with a single book or CD in my house? Oh hell no. But I can certainly part with what doesn't matter. I totally get that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    If you have read the book, you know you save things like the record collection for last, after you tackled just about everything else and experienced the benefit of living with less stuff cluttering up your life. Then you decide if tackling your collection something you want to do.

The key thing with Kondo: if you love it, you keep it.

My wife and I did this with our clothing, our various kitchen wares, and then our books. We still have a lot of books, but we parted with about a third of what was on our shelves.

Most of what we've done has been a sort of pre-Kondo, just getting rid of the obviously unloved junk so we can get to a place of sorting the decent stuff through the joy test.

It does get me thinking of how much my identity is tied up in things, like my music collection. I have to admit that I have been thoroughly indoctrinated in a consumer-based identity. It some ways it is total bullshit. In other ways, it is what I know, and I derive pleasure from it. None of that is in the book, it just the way my minds turns when going through the process.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    If you have read the book, you know you save things like the record collection for last, after you tackled just about everything else and experienced the benefit of living with less stuff cluttering up your life. Then you decide if tackling your collection something you want to do.

The key thing with Kondo: if you love it, you keep it.

My wife and I did this with our clothing, our various kitchen wares, and then our books. We still have a lot of books, but we parted with about a third of what was on our shelves.

Most of what we've done has been a sort of pre-Kondo, just getting rid of the obviously unloved junk so we can get to a place of sorting the decent stuff through the joy test.

It does get me thinking of how much my identity is tied up in things, like my music collection. I have to admit that I have been thoroughly indoctrinated in a consumer-based identity. It some ways it is total bullshit. In other ways, it is what I know, and I derive pleasure from it. None of that is in the book, it just the way my minds turns when going through the process.
    I haven't read the book just an article about her and the catch phrase ' Does it spark joy' just stuck to me and I immediately thought about posting it here. I just emptied my parent's house and it was kind of a logistic and emotional hard time but on the other to get rid of the things had a cathartic effect and we just started to clean up our place at well. After more tgen 40 years of collecting records and guitars it becomes of a slight burden. On the other hand I still take a lot of pleasure of my collection and continue to buy. I agree completely with you that this consumer based behaviour is a tricky thing and in short therm I'd like to keep just a few essential records that I really love.

CDs? What are they?

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Thank you for the insightful post.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Funniest thread I've read in quite awhile. Thanks for the laughs this morning folks.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The only spark I get these days is static electricity from the carpets

Banned
    I am actually thinning out my collection. I've started buying lots of stuff again in the last couple of years and I find that there's a lot in my CD/Vinyl collection that is either redundant or that I may not listen to again since I would rather listen to new stuff or stuff I hold in higher esteem - opportunity costs and limited time kinda thing. Some vinyl I hold on just for the cover art or becuase it's a fold-out that has traces of weed dust in it from 1979... sentimental value.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I better keep the wife (and all my cds)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's not meant for collectors, musicphiles, or bibliophiles - people with a passion for a certain thing. But movements like this, or Swedish death cleaning (yes, that is a thing), are an effort to clean out the useless clutter and detritus in our lives. As someone who has cleaned up after parents/in-laws born in the depression that could not part with a single fucking thing, I think this is healthy. Am I going to part with a single book or CD in my house? Oh hell no. But I can certainly part with what doesn't matter. I totally get that.
    I really need to get on-board with this. I'm by no means a hoarder, but I definitely have clutter and "things that don't bring me joy" that I can eliminate from my life.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh, I got rid of the wife. It was pretty cathartic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just do the test, take her in your hands and see if you got sparks of joy.

My wife and I celebrated out 43rd Wedding Anniversary last September, besides being my best friend in the world, she learned early on, if "you can't beat em join em".
    At the time I was a avid college and professional football junkie, which meant, most of our Saturdays and Sundays were busy watching football. She grew to love the game and even became proficient at yelling at the refs for throwing a flag when it was clearly NOT pass interference. another flag down.."offsides" lol We don't waste our Sundays anymore because I gave up on the Lions and quit watching what has become nothing but a 3 hour long commercial with a little football action thrown in. Same with college, so we spend our Sunday evenings listening or watching Progressive music.

I was also a huge Genesis, Yes, ELP, etc fan when we met. I had a little VW Bug with a 8 track in it, and I'd pick her up with Foxtrot blaring through those tiny little door speakers, which at the time were state of the art....well sort of, hey, they sounded great in a VW.
    She is not a Prog wife, she is a prog fan. She loves the music and will often be humming little earworms the day after a night of listening.

She's supported me through my decades of gear lust as a home studio musician. I remember one day, picking her up from work with a Tascam Porta One 4 track cassette deck I'd gotten at Guitar Center earlier in the day. While we made small talk about our day of work, I'd try to find a hole in the conversation where I could very casually drop da bomb " I bought a $500 4 track cassette deck which will really help me take my music to a new recording level" lol oh boy, some of those "announcements" didn't go over very well, but she would always come around and wind up being happy for me.
    I've been blessed to have such a great person in my life, through all of my stupidity and yes selfishness at times.

But my greatest happiness is having someone who loves this music we all enjoy, as much as I do. It's something we share and since it's a big part of who I am, it's wonderful to have someone to share it with.

ok honey, I wrote everything you had written down, can I have my King Crimson cd back ????
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    My wife and I celebrated out 43rd Wedding Anniversary last September, besides being my best friend in the world, she learned early on, if "you can't beat em join em".
    At the time I was a avid college and professional football junkie, which meant, most of our Saturdays and Sundays were busy watching football. She grew to love the game and even became proficient at yelling at the refs for throwing a flag when it was clearly NOT pass interference. another flag down.."offsides" lol We don't waste our Sundays anymore because I gave up on the Lions and quit watching what has become nothing but a 3 hour long commercial with a little football action thrown in. Same with college, so we spend our Sunday evenings listening or watching Progressive music.

I was also a huge Genesis, Yes, ELP, etc fan when we met. I had a little VW Bug with a 8 track in it, and I'd pick her up with Foxtrot blaring through those tiny little door speakers, which at the time were state of the art....well sort of, hey, they sounded great in a VW.
    She is not a Prog wife, she is a prog fan. She loves the music and will often be humming little earworms the day after a night of listening.

She's supported me through my decades of gear lust as a home studio musician. I remember one day, picking her up from work with a Tascam Porta One 4 track cassette deck I'd gotten at Guitar Center earlier in the day. While we made small talk about our day of work, I'd try to find a hole in the conversation where I could very casually drop da bomb " I bought a $500 4 track cassette deck which will really help me take my music to a new recording level" lol oh boy, some of those "announcements" didn't go over very well, but she would always come around and wind up being happy for me.
    I've been blessed to have such a great person in my life, through all of my stupidity and yes selfishness at times.

But my greatest happiness is having someone who loves this music we all enjoy, as much as I do. It's something we share and since it's a big part of who I am, it's wonderful to have someone to share it with.

ok honey, I wrote everything you had written down, can I have my King Crimson cd back ????
    Great post!

Banned
    ^^^

Ha Ha! Yes, great post and you sound like a lucky man Mr. Top Cat!
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 01-11-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Just do the test, take her in your hands and see if you got sparks of joy.
    Yeah, that was the problem...my wife wasn't Joy.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx