Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of PE Memories! Share them!

'No Metman' is another of those things which lingered...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Was it "Don't Land On Me"? That one's a real boggler. That video was my own first exposure to Knifeworld--and it must have been through a link here--and it hooked me hard.
    That’s the one! Not sure why Kavus thought I should hear it, but I’m glad he pm’d it to me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Is there any way to find out when you 'actually' joined up - I show Nov 2012 but I think that was when we had the 'new look' board. I know I had been on for a few years before that.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Is there any way to find out when you 'actually' joined up - I show Nov 2012 but I think that was when we had the 'new look' board. I know I had been on for a few years before that.
    That's what I'd like to know. I really can't remember when I joined PE or how I found out about it. I only visited AMY occasionally - I wasn't enough of a Yes fanboy to make it worthwhile. But one thing I love about PE is that there are people here I've known from the online prog world going back to the days of prog fora like GEnie and PLink. and also from A.M.P and R.M.P. Also the vendors, Henry, Aymeric (Calyx), probably some guys from the old Marillion Freaks list, people I met at NEARfest, ProgDay, etc. Also some people involved in the printed prog publications, and the specialized mailing lists (like Aymeric's list). And yes, Geezer! It's like a giant virtual front porch with a shitload of rocking chairs and a Roger Dean landscape (or the cover of Henry Cow - Leg End) to gaze at.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    probably some guys from the old Marillion Freaks list
    I remember those digests well. Dialing up on the old 300 baud modem - "don't pick up the phone!" and downloading the latest Paperlate, National Midnight Star, Notes From The Edge, etc. to read offline and then dial up again to upload replies. Magic times...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Incredible to remember that we started as one unthreaded sequential chat about all things prog, I remember going on holiday for a fortnight in the days before smartphones or tablets, coming home and reading every post I had missed, just to keep in the chat! I cannot even start to comprehend how much time I have spent reading PE over those two decades.

I Remember when particular somebody ,when progressive soundscapes online radio was thing.
    Joined chat room ,When glass hammer was in there destroyed whole atmospheric enviroment.

I also know mahavishnunj ,Also known as nathan james as being holy grail of pe in day
    That his twin brother ,i wont list there name.
    by the way which one is J

A few I recall are:
    ~ Zbop's incoherent hippy posts
    ~ the incomparable Jiff and his umpteen unintentionally hilarious rants about staying on topic, etc.
    ~ the glorious days when Amy Benjamin was one of the mods
    ~ threads in which Luis' provided some hilarious comebacks and introduced the term "douchness"
    ~ Svetonio's daily bandcamp napalming, plus his insistence that Vangelis DID in fact play on Olias of Sunhilliow
    ~ the sad losses of members Archangel 13 and Yanks, both deeply committed music fans who contributed so much to this forum for so many years
    ~ the epic departure of Billy Sherwood
    ~ a certain vendor from the Middle East who would regularly post somewhat annoying promotions of his site but who also provided some deep insights into jazz

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    A few I recall are:
    ~ Zbop's incoherent hippy posts
    ~ the incomparable Jiff and his umpteen unintentionally hilarious rants about staying on topic, etc.
    ~ the glorious days when Amy Benjamin was one of the mods
    ~ threads in which Luis' provided some hilarious comebacks and introduced the term "douchness"
    ~ Svetonio's daily bandcamp napalming, plus his insistence that Vangelis DID in fact play on Olias of Sunhilliow
    ~ the sad losses of members Archangel 13 and Yanks, both deeply committed music fans who contributed so much to this forum for so many years
    ~ a certain vendor from the Middle East who would regularly post somewhat annoying promotions of his site but who also provided some deep insights into jazz
    Fantastic stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Most of my posts here are about Melvins or Motorpyscho or some other stuff no one cares about much, so I usually wind up posting to myself, but there are two threads I started early on that (for whatever reason) I'll never forget. Both were questions I'd been asking myself for years for which the Internet (in the mid- to late-2000s) had no answers. They are:

Thread 1: What the heck song is happening on the cover of VdGG's Maida Vale??? For years, I tried to figure out what song could possibly be played by a gtr/bass/sax/drums line-up, and nothing made sense. Turns out it was "Urban" which was played live in '76.

Thread 2: What the heck is Lake playing on Works Live? I thought maybe it was some kind acoustic/electric/guitar/bass/hybrid thing that hadn't been plugged in. Or maybe like a box of rubber bands. Nope! Just a weird tone on an Alembic bass.

Unrelated, but probably a life-changing moment (I mean, insofar . . . ), Kavus pm'd me about a new Knifeworld album. Didn't know him; didn't know the band. But the viddy he sent had me hooked. From there it was a short trip backward to Cardiacs.

Both Kavus and Tim Smith have been important musicians for me. Both have been responsible for writing a lot of my psychic and emotional landscapes for the past five or so years.

So, yeah, thanks, PE! Thems is the memories.
    Ok, so that thread about Urban is now my new favourite memory!

Similar to your connection with Kavus, I have been privileged to find friendship with Xavier from Ghost Rhythms. Not only do I treasure his (still virtual) friendship, & not only have I fallen in love with his music - his work has inspired my own thinking in the work that I do.

I do like the people in the industry who post here regularly, those are some of the most interesting threads. Actually met Kavus at RIO before chatting to him here. Aymeric, Steve, Udi and Kerman are a big plus for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I do like the people in the industry who post here regularly, those are some of the most interesting threads. Actually met Kavus at RIO before chatting to him here. Aymeric, Steve, Udi and Kerman are a big plus for me.
    I'd add John Kelman to your list, Ian. I have learnt so much from his writing for All About Jazz, & from the follow-up discussions that he contributes to so generously.

The middle eastern vendor you mention ,would not be jazzis from isreal would it ?
    i wonder where he went tbh ,i ordered from him several times.
    what better place to have your prog ,come form Isreal and blessed by rabi

The land where Jesus walked on water also .
    You know when you ordered your prog from there ,It sounded so much better then any other version lol
    Because vinyl was pressed from wine ,Vinyl then pressed into cd land of miracles amen.

Quote Originally Posted by vis4victor View Post
    The middle eastern vendor you mention ,would not be jazzis from isreal would it?
    Oh, ...possibly

I learned Rush was a Prog band...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I'd add John Kelman to your list, Ian. I have learnt so much from his writing for All About Jazz, & from the follow-up discussions that he contributes to so generously.
    Oh yeah, there's a bunch also add Keneally, nosebone, there's a load of people here.
    Ian

Yuppets

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yuppets
    They need nuking on a desert island
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They need nuking on a desert island
    ...after having been lured there by the promise of hearing some previously unheard Gentle Giant music

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Wasn't there a huge hissy fit from the Buggles/Asia keyboard guy whose name I'll remember as soon as I hit post?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Downes

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
    I got the feeling that something ain't right,
    I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
    And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
    Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right, here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you" - Gerry Rafferty

Memories? I don't have no stinkin' memories.

Does anybody remember the "best bathrooms at NEARfest thread"?

That was hilarious!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Omega Monkey's "The Smokers Thread"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak