Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Better Than The Original?

I like the Dionne Warwick version of Walk On By but The Stranglers version is sheer genius. It still makes an appearance in their set lists these days.
    (I didn't read the entirety of this thread so apologies if someone has already mentioned this cover).

"One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Canary View Post
    Although I like Ike & Tina's version of "Proud Mary" (they pretty much made a new song out of it) I can't agree that it's better than Creedence's. I will however assert that I like Creedence's version of "I Heard It through the Grapevine" more than the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post

ELP - PAAE, Barbarian, Hoedown
    Don’t take this the wrong way, guys, but stop smoking crack. I think that Ike & Tina’s version of “Proud Mary” brings new life to what was otherwise fairly ordinary tune. And don’t get me started on CCR’s “I Hoid It Through the Grapevine.” John, you’re a white, suburban dork from El Cerrito, stop trying to convince us you’re a rootsy Delta bluesman! (Sacramento Delta, maybe.) Marvin Gaye’s prior cover and Gladys Knight & the Pips’ original are both superior in every way.

And ELP’s tacky bastardization of Pictures better than Mussorgsky’s original piano suite? Seriously? It’s not even good for ELP! It makes Tomita’s cheesy (yet entertaining) Moog version seem tasteful by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    People don't usually think of Dylan covering others, but I think this one is a riot, given that he's doing a duet with himself:
    This one’s even riot-ier, as Dylan didn’t want it released. Columbia released it to spite him when he left them for Asylum:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Don’t take this the wrong way, guys, but stop smoking crack. I think that Ike & Tina’s version of “Proud Mary” brings new life to what was otherwise fairly ordinary tune.
    The problem with their version is that they gave it a form that doesn't fit the lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:nothing
    Not much difference between this version and the original.

Not bad.

cf also his "Billy the Mountain" a capella version.

Wow! how many archive pages did you read through to get to this or did you search for the thread title? Do you realise you have responded to a THREE year old thread?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I always find it weird when an old thread pops up with a random new post, I do love it though.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I always find it weird when an old thread pops up with a random new post, I do love it though.
    yes, its fine. Instead of making a new thread repeating all over.

I don't have a problem with it either, as long as the posts of the previous 13 pages aren't repeated by all the people who wrote them three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I don't have a problem with it either, as long as the posts of the previous 13 pages aren't repeated by all the people who wrote them three years ago.
    I just heard on the radio a whole set of Beatles tunes done by jazz musicians. While pleasant and in places creative, the originals are so perfectly realized it's awfully hard to top the Beatles versions. Maybe Sergio's Mendez's version of "Blackbird" or Gryphon's version of "Mother Nature's Son" come close.

That's not always true. Santana's version of "Oye Como Va" became THE standard. Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" blows Fleetwood Mac's original out of the water too.

What other cover versions are better than the original?

Santana's studio version of Black Magic Woman was better than Fleetwood's, but the live extended version Mac played trumps any Santana version imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I just heard on the radio a whole set of Beatles tunes done by jazz musicians. While pleasant and in places creative, the originals are so perfectly realized it's awfully hard to top the Beatles versions.
    Maybe it depends what you consider perfectly realized (and of course what the treatment is). In my book, it's a rare Beatles song that isn't greatly improved without the words.

I've always thought, regardless of individual musical tastes, that Nos. 1,2,3 on everybody's list should be:

1. Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
    2. Santana - Black Magic Woman
    3. Aretha Franklin - Respect

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've always thought, regardless of individual musical tastes, that Nos. 1,2,3 on everybody's list should be:
    You need to BACK THE F**K OFF, buster!

JK

This is very good indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I just heard on the radio a whole set of Beatles tunes done by jazz musicians. While pleasant and in places creative, the originals are so perfectly realized it's awfully hard to top the Beatles versions. Maybe Sergio's Mendez's version of "Blackbird" or Gryphon's version of "Mother Nature's Son" come close.

That's not always true. Santana's version of "Oye Como Va" became THE standard. Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" blows Fleetwood Mac's original out of the water too.

What other cover versions are better than the original?
    Santana's Black Magic Woman is different than Fleetwood Mac's, certainly not better.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Santana's Black Magic Woman is different than Fleetwood Mac's, certainly not better.
    I agree, it's different, not better. Love the original Fleetwood version.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quatermass' Gemini - much better than Eric Burdon & the Animals version.