Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1990's Prog Nights on Bleecker Street

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Oops, I thought he meant he'd missed the giglist on his site! I thought he'd already posted to the thread.

I remember always seeing ads for The Unforgettable Fire.

Robert, did you guys know the guys from the Rush tribute band Power Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Robert, did you guys know the guys from the Rush tribute band Power Windows?
    Yes, we played a few of the Bob Wolf events, ended up opening for Power Windows at RNR Cafe and elsewhere (Rock The House in Wallington, NJ for one) and RNR Cafe ended up calling us in a pinch to play whenever as well. Remember Abe Seibel? He was a huge Power Windows fan. It's funny. I get mixed up between who were independent prog band fans and who was just there to see Power Windows. That is generally 2 very different types of people although you wouldn't always think it. Abe ended up being a bit of both as he's come to see us live in recent years as well as being a Rush nut who goes to see the current Rush tribute bands out there like nobody's business.

As for me "talking up" my band, I don't think I went to those events unless we were playing at them. I did see you (paythesnuka) in '09 at the IZZ CD release party for The Darkened Room in Kendall Park, NJ but that was me attending as a then-new fan of theirs and was in the early part of the "3RDegree reformed years" that we're still currently in. I've since become good friends with them all and have played many shows with them over the last decade.

The eons are closing
    Hah! Rock the House in Wallington!

We did a gig there too and I always called it the 'tumbleweed' gig because of the dead silence after each tune we played. LOL

I guess they were all there for The Hooligans (Who tribute)

Just heard The Continental is closing by 12/15.
    Played a few gigs there too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I remember playing there in 1996(?). It was our first gig and we went down fairly well, much better than my disastrous gig at Orion in 2000 ;-)

The eons are closing
    Hah! The opposite for us. Orion was awesome in 1997 and RTH was awful in 96.

Can't believe it over 20 years since played Orion. Will have to break out the rough mix Mike P did for me a few years ago.

Saw on the news that The Continental bar in east village is closing in December. Played there a few times in 95/96 too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Hah! The opposite for us. Orion was awesome in 1997 and RTH was awful in 96.

Can't believe it over 20 years since played Orion. Will have to break out the rough mix Mike P did for me a few years ago.

Saw on the news that The Continental bar in east village is closing in December. Played there a few times in 95/96 too.
    What band?

I was there for the Magus show. I think you guys were the first set,

See the 3rdegreeonline.com "LIVE" page for a list of all our gigs and you will see loads of places no longer in existence!

I haven't visited any of my old downtown Manhattan haunts in ages (Bleecker Street, St. Marks Place, etc.). I'm kind of afraid to go there now, and find former record stores that are now Chipotles or Starbucks.

"Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I haven't visited any of my old downtown Manhattan haunts in ages (Bleecker Street, St. Marks Place, etc.). I'm kind of afraid to go there now, and find former record stores that are now Chipotles or Starbucks.
    That's why I haven't gone back.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Yes, we played a few of the Bob Wolf events, ended up opening for Power Windows at RNR Cafe and elsewhere (Rock The House in Wallington, NJ for one) and RNR Cafe ended up calling us in a pinch to play whenever as well. Remember Abe Seibel? He was a huge Power Windows fan. It's funny. I get mixed up between who were independent prog band fans and who was just there to see Power Windows. That is generally 2 very different types of people although you wouldn't always think it. Abe ended up being a bit of both as he's come to see us live in recent years as well as being a Rush nut who goes to see the current Rush tribute bands out there like nobody's business.
    That's probably the most likely scenario where I saw you guys the most. I would see Power Windows whenever I could because they were the only Rush tribute band to play a decent percentage of songs released after 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    That's probably the most likely scenario where I saw you guys the most. I would see Power Windows whenever I could because they were the only Rush tribute band to play a decent percentage of songs released after 1982.
    We might have been at some of the same Power Windows shows. I went to a few at Rock & Roll Cafe, and to what was supposedly a Farewell show on the upper east side.

We might have been at some of the same Power Windows shows. I went to a few at Rock & Roll Cafe, and to what was supposedly a Farewell show on the upper east side.
    That's likely true. Was in Wallington too whenever they were there. I really miss those guys. They really captured the spirit of the band which isn't the easiest thing to do. Few Rush tributes really do that.

All of the record stores have been replaced with good beer shops. I go to st marks to go to proletariat a small sit down bar.
    Generation records is still there on Thompson street. There’s a good ramen shop from japan down the block.
    Things change but the memories of the old rock n roll cafe don’t.