Thread: Wendy Carlos Switched On Bach Turns 50

Wendy Carlos Switched On Bach Turns 50

It was October, 1968 when Wendy Carlos released an album that changed music, Switched-On Bach. We go back 50 years with Carlos to those pioneering days and the beginning of modern electronic music. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-eCE

A contender for the title of most historically significant album which is out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A contender for the title of most historically significant album which is out of print.
    seriously, I've been looking for a sensibly priced copy of that boxset for years now.

Does anyone know what the problem is with this album, in terms of its lack of availability?

Apparently, ALL her music is out of print. And there is nothing on any streaming service I could find except for her original Tron Soundtrack.

I just recently picked up a copy of the very first pressing of the LP in a dollar bin--the edition with the seated Bach, and Carlos's name not mentioned on the front.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I hadn't realised the cover had been changed. In the UK it must have kept that one as I've never seen one of the others.

I hadn't realised the cover had been changed. In the UK it must have kept that one as I've never seen one of the others.
    Carlos hated the original cover (the grimacing, seated Bach looks like he's pooping) and it was immediately replaced by the version where Bach is standing, with a more serious expression.

Aside from her albums being out of print, her website hasn't been updated in around ten years. Hope she is okay.

Yes it is a shame that this album is not available for people to enjoy.

I tried to find this album in YouTube and was unable to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Carlos hated the original cover (the grimacing, seated Bach looks like he's pooping) and it was immediately replaced by the version where Bach is standing, with a more serious expression.
    I believe she also mentioned that his headphones are plugged into the input on whichever module (I think it's the fixed filter bank), which in turn is connected to nothing.

I tried to find this album in YouTube and was unable to.
    Yeah, none of her albums onare on Youtube. Anytime anyone posts something, it gets pulled down almost immediately.

S-OB is a nice album for what it is, but I much prefer Wendy Carlos' A Clockwork Orange and Sonic Seasonings.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

"It had to be deliberate on Stanley's part but to what end? "
    Where is that quote from?

The thing is it was a big seller in its day as well. I read that Columbia were very much taken by surprise. So it's a pity that a part of late 60s musical history is unavailable.

The thing is it was a big seller in its day as well..
    It was reputedly the biggest selling album of Bach's music, at the time.
    So it's a pity that a part of late 60s musical history is unavailable.
    I think it's a bigger pity that her more innovative recordings from the 70's and 80's are unavailable. That includes Sonic Seasonings, Wendy Carlos' A Clockwork Orange, Digital Moonscapes, and The Beauty In The Beast. I think the only one that's still in print is the Tron soundtrack, because, if I'm not mistaken, that's owned by Disney.

One assumes that East Side Digital's license for the Carlos reissues must have expired at some point (and of course, now, the label is defunct altogether). Maybe the demand for "the most popular Bach recording, 50 years ago" (never mind Digital Moonscapes or Sonic Seasonings) isn't high enough to warrant a subsequent reissue. I mean, it should at least be on Youtube or Spotify, there ought to be someplace where someone can go to hear the music without having to spend some obscene amount of money on either the CD reissues or spend for digging around for a decent condition LP.

I would love to see her stuff re-released. I only have the box-set.

She is awfully quiet. Don't think her website has been updated for a long time.

Switched-On Bach is the album that got me interested in classical music. Before that, in grammar school, periodically the music teacher, Miss Bonanno, would come by the class (everyone would groan) and try to teach us to appreciate the classics. She was such a disagreeable sort that anything associated with her, one being classical music, was disagreeable to us. But then in high school I heard SOB on the local "underground" radio show on Sunday night and my ears were opened. Thank you SOB, and thank you Miss Bonanno, sort of.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I have the original version of the vinyl of both SOB and the official soundtrack from ACO.
    The name on both is WALTER Carlos.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    I have the original version of the vinyl of both SOB and the official soundtrack from ACO.
    The name on both is WALTER Carlos.
    Something she distanced herself a long time ago from.

For those who were interested, I'm in email correspondence with Wendy and she seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    spend for digging around for a decent condition LP.
    At least that's an easy option--the LP is extremely common on the used market. As mentioned above, I recently paid a whole dollar for a very nice copy. The Well-Tempered Synthesizer and Switched-On Bach 2 are also easy to find as used vinyl; the others take a bit more digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    For those who were interested, I'm in email correspondence with Wendy and she seems fine.
    Good to hear she is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Excellent news,really. But do you have any informations why her whole catalog is unavailable for many years. Legal issues, or the artist choice ?? It's a real shame as W.C is a pioneering sound synthesist/musician/composer and her work is still in demand. Fortunately I bought the beautiful (and well documented) S.O.B boxset many years ago but never got the chance to locate an (affordable) copy of the remastered CD version of Sonic Seasonings. Never was able to find Beauty In The Beast on CD either.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 10-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    At least that's an easy option--the LP is extremely common on the used market. As mentioned above, I recently paid a whole dollar for a very nice copy. The Well-Tempered Synthesizer and Switched-On Bach 2 are also easy to find as used vinyl; the others take a bit more digging.

Oh yes - they are very common - however not sure what the market was for this thing because every copy I have got is not in great condition - and in the hopes of finding a good one I grab every copy I find... weird - same for "Snowflakes Are Dancing" and "Pictures At An Exhibition" by Tomita - Maybe is just my luck - maybe I will get thousands for replies telling me your copies are pristine... YMMV of course...

And yes, I do have an RCM - not a Crosley owner here...

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Oh yes - they are very common - however not sure what the market was for this thing because every copy I have got is not in great condition - and in the hopes of finding a good one I grab every copy I find... weird - same for "Snowflakes Are Dancing" and "Pictures At An Exhibition" by Tomita - Maybe is just my luck - maybe I will get thousands for replies telling me your copies are pristine... YMMV of course...
    That 50-year-old copy I just got is in excellent condition on one side, but distinctly worn on the other--the original owner must have only liked one side!