Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT Peforms Selling England By The Pound!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Not sure what you are disagreeing with. I just would like to hear him play the entire Voyage after the SEBTP set. I think that would be neat, but it's just what I'd like to hear. Other than that someone made this statement:

"I do believe a certain percentage of the audience is there for the Genesis stuff"

which I don't know if that is true or not because I can't speak for all of his fans only me in which I meant that I personally don't go to see Steve to hear him play only Genesis material.

I've seen Steve a number of times I you are right he does mix in a great selection of solo material with a few Genesis songs. He always puts on a professional of well constructed show. Love to see him again.
    Im listening to the Genesis Revisited - Live at the Royal Albert Hall in Blu-ray and DTS Master Audio 4.1 (maybe 5.1). Wow, this band is incredible. Roine Stolt burns The Return of the Giant Hogweed with dominant leads. John Wetton performs powerfully on Firth of Fifth. To have the band specialize on SEBTP, would be great, but shoot the video in 4kHDR and provide on UHD Blu-ray or streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll take any opportunity to see Steve Hackett. The first time I saw him solo in the early 90s he only played small sections of Genesis materials. I can't get enough of Steve's homage to the band that allowed him to form a reputation and a superior guitarist. I think it's stupid to say he should stop.
    Definitely. He doesn't come to the Pacific Northwest too often, but when I did see him a few years ago, the band was fantastic. And even with a lesser set list (No Blood on the Rooftops, no One For The Vine, no Cinema Show, no Lamia, no Ripples etc) what they played they absolutely nailed! Any time he comes, I'll be there.

He's playing very close to me November '19 so I think I'll go. Hard to get too excited over 1 year in advance though..

There is an argument both ways. Steve's solo work is wonderful and fans of it understandably would enjoy to see a lot of it performed live.

The Genesis fans like the idea of seeing that music performed live for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, if you want to see Genesis music live, it is best performed by "The Musical Box". Much more accurate re creations
    including original sets, staging, lighting etc. When Phil said "The Musical Box performs this music better than we ever did", he is not lying. Given that MB has had years if not decades to practice and perform it. No doubt they really nail it.

The accuracy of what they do with zero original members vs Hackett and 1 original member is not much difference. The MB guys are dedicated to the vintage material while Steve gives his guys a lot of freedom to "interpret" etc.

That all being said, I would prefer to see Steve play his solo stuff more than lots of Genesis stuff which I don't think is actually performed as well as MB.

Usually I am not much of a fan of tribute bands, but MB is just so impressive that I can't deny the extreme dedication of their recreations of such wonderful Genesis music.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    That all being said, I would prefer to see Steve play his solo stuff more than lots of Genesis stuff which I don't think is actually performed as well as MB.
    I get your point from a musical standpoint, although I think the SHB's renditions of old Genesis material is top-notch, if a little less "authentic" (but only slightly less), but from a practical standpoint it's a very easy decision to make - and stick to - from Steve's perspective : the venues he plays are much larger as a result of keeping a "Genesis Revisited" portion in his shows. Seems to me a small sacrifice to make. It is clear that if he reverted to 60-70% solo material, promoters, venues and audiences would be less interested.

Of course it's more backwards-looking, but a full set of solo material including 20-30 minutes of stuff from his latest album doesn't strike me as such a bad deal for him and people who want to hear his more recent solo music.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    There is an argument both ways. Steve's solo work is wonderful and fans of it understandably would enjoy to see a lot of it performed live.

The Genesis fans like the idea of seeing that music performed live for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, if you want to see Genesis music live, it is best performed by "The Musical Box". Much more accurate re creations
    including original sets, staging, lighting etc. When Phil said "The Musical Box performs this music better than we ever did", he is not lying. Given that MB has had years if not decades to practice and perform it. No doubt they really nail it.

The accuracy of what they do with zero original members vs Hackett and 1 original member is not much difference. The MB guys are dedicated to the vintage material while Steve gives his guys a lot of freedom to "interpret" etc.

Usually I am not much of a fan of tribute bands, but MB is just so impressive that I can't deny the extreme dedication of their recreations of such wonderful Genesis music.
    Have you read the latest Musical Box thread?

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I get your point from a musical standpoint, although I think the SHB's renditions of old Genesis material is top-notch, if a little less "authentic" (but only slightly less), but from a practical standpoint it's a very easy decision to make - and stick to - from Steve's perspective : the venues he plays are much larger as a result of keeping a "Genesis Revisited" portion in his shows. Seems to me a small sacrifice to make. It is clear that if he reverted to 60-70% solo material, promoters, venues and audiences would be less interested.

Of course it's more backwards-looking, but a full set of solo material including 20-30 minutes of stuff from his latest album doesn't strike me as such a bad deal for him and people who want to hear his more recent solo music.
    Fully agree. It makes sense for him to carry on with it. I remember a time when his profile, at least in the UK, seemed very low indeed for a member of such a popular band. (It almost seems like it took doing the Genesis material again to remind people that he's still there!) Do people want him to go back to that??

And his new albums are charting much higher than they were earlier in this decade. So it's worked for him in that sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And his new albums are charting much higher than they were earlier in this decade.
    When they're not even that great. Riding his own coattails is a VERY smart business decision on Steve's part.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Agreed with everything you just said.

And I too think that Nad seems to be a good guy in real life, at least judging from what I've seen and read about. I also really like his voice!
    I worked with Nad last year and can attest that he is a really cool guy. As an artist he is a perfectionist and as a person warm and down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Im listening to the Genesis Revisited - Live at the Royal Albert Hall in Blu-ray and DTS Master Audio 4.1 (maybe 5.1). Wow, this band is incredible. Roine Stolt burns The Return of the Giant Hogweed with dominant leads. John Wetton performs powerfully on Firth of Fifth. ...
    I couldn't find this bluray. Any link for the bluray version? thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Im listening to the Genesis Revisited - Live at the Royal Albert Hall in Blu-ray and DTS Master Audio 4.1 (maybe 5.1). Wow, this band is incredible. Roine Stolt burns The Return of the Giant Hogweed with dominant leads. John Wetton performs powerfully on Firth of Fifth. To have the band specialize on SEBTP, would be great, but shoot the video in 4kHDR and provide on UHD Blu-ray or streaming.
    That CD has so much bass its almost unlistenable - at least that's what I recall.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I couldn't find this bluray. Any link for the bluray version? thx.
    I THINK the Blu-Ray is only in this deluxe, hardbound edition:

https://burningshed.com/Steve_Hacket...rt_Hall-Boxset

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I worked with Nad last year and can attest that he is a really cool guy. As an artist he is a perfectionist and as a person warm and down to earth.
    Nice.

What did you and Nad work on together btw? Has it already been released, or is it a forthcoming project?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice.

What did you and Nad work on together btw? Has it already been released, or is it a forthcoming project?
    Nad sang two songs on the soon to be released new Winter Tree album "Topaz Islands Dreaming". One is my musical adaption of Yeats' poem "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" and the other a cover of Elton John's "60 Years On". There are some links to the songs on a thread I started in the What's On, What's New forum.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Nad sang two songs on the soon to be released new Winter Tree album "Topaz Islands Dreaming". One is my musical adaption of Yeats' poem "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" and the other a cover of Elton John's "60 Years On". There are some links to the songs on a thread I started in the What's On, What's New forum.
    Cool, man! I look forward hearing the whole thing when it comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I love seeing The Musical Box and Steve Hackett do Genesis. They each offer up some great nostalgia and a fun entertaining evening of awesome music we're so familiar with. I also agree it's fantastic for Steve to be able bring more people in to hear his solo material which understandably means more to him than the Genesis catalog. Seems to be working well and I'm happy for him! One of the nicest guys I've ever met in the music industry. He deserves the success!

As for what Phil said about TMB, well, they may have more practice to be accurate than Genesis did and I thoroughly enjoy watching their shows... however I would still prefer to have seen the actual Genesis do it even with more mistakes. There's something about the feel of Phil and Tony's playing that is rarely captured even if the music is played accurately. A certain character, feel and style to their playing that you can hear in some players more than others. I saw TMB with Martin Levac for example and he absolutely nailed Phil Collins... so much so that he actually looked exactly like him! Haha. It was amazing. I've seen them without Martin (even opened for them once in LA) and it's still great but with a different drummer it wasn't as close to the mark. Someone like Nick D'Virgilio could really just nail it, the style and feel of Genesis. But, I'm perhaps picky. It's all great and I'm happy to buy tickets to see these shows any chance I get! Beggars can't be choosers. I think it's amazing that they tour as much as they do.

Must admit I'm somewhat on the fence re. Hackett and Genesis. On the one hand, I do appreciate just how much it's done to revive his career, especially after his extremely expensive divorce from Kim Poor. On the other, however, I can't entirely get away from the impression that we've now very much reached the 'milking the cow' stage, and it would be nice from this point to see SH trading on what is now a distinctly distant past rather less. Still, I guess if people want to see it then it's all good. Hackett himself certainly seems to be enjoying going back to this music after years of being distinctly uncomfortable with the legacy of having been in Genesis, so who am I to argue?
    Last edited by kid_runningfox; 10-25-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Must admit I'm somewhat on the fence re. Hackett and Genesis. On the one hand, I do appreciate just how much it's done to revive his career, especially after his extremely expensive divorce from Kim Poor. One the other, however, I can't entirely get away from the impression that we've now very much reached the 'milking the cow' stage, and it would be nice from this point to see SH trading on what is now a distinctly distant past rather less. Still, I guess if people want to see it then it's all good. Hackett himself certainly seems to be enjoying going back to this music after years of being distinctly uncomfortable with the legacy of having been in Genesis, so who am I to argue?
    Well if you go to a Steve Hackett concert, you get a nice mix of Genesis related material and Steve has been dipping into his vast catalog of solo material and performing at least half of the show doing his stuff. Then he's usually touring to support a new album, so you add that to the mix.
    So, I guess we part ways in the milking the cow feeling because I don't feel that. I remember going to a show in Detroit(I've spoken of this before) in a small ratty club and it was lucky if there were 100 people there(that's being generous). This was during the decades when prog was seen by most people listening to music, as a disease.
    But he survived, and I think he survived his personal demons and seems genuinely happy with life and his re found joy of being appreciated.

Going to a Steve Hackett isn't just about the music anymore, he's a survivor, an elder statesman, a master of guitar. So seeing Steve Hackett live is an event, not just a concert and recycled music. A chance to see a master perform his craft.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

No US shows for this tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    No US shows for this tour?
    On his website

Thanks I see. September and October. Most shows go on sale this week. I'll be looking for a pre-sale email.

https://tinyurl.com/ybdaqke3

yes, after 14 years, he's finally coming back to Minneapolis on October 7th!

He's coming to Cleveland in October. And I mean he's actually playing in Cleveland, not in the next county over (which is effectively what he did last two times he was here, the gottverdammter Hard Rocksino or whatever the frell the name of the place is, it's literally right on the border of Cuyahoga and Summit Counties).

I'm definitely there. I've had reservations about some of the things he's done with some of the Genesis material he does, but I'll still go, because I'll still enjoy it, and it'll still make my spine vibrate.

Damn! Not even close to Atlanta.

Coming to the west coast! Woohoo!