Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offering (Christian Vander)

I just have CONCERT TRITON 2013 but I was surprised that it sounds more like Magma
    than I expected.

Will have to check some of the xamples here.

Del..
    Last edited by Mekanik Zain; 08-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Moving sideways... in the "spiritual jazz" vein, some of you might like to check this out :
    http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/20...tton-nose.html
    Echoes of Magma, Canterbury and medieval music...
    Last edited by unclemeat; 01-04-2019 at 03:31 AM.

Another Day is spectacular- there are sections that just are heart stopping. As an homage to John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders it is superb.

Love in the Darkness is a truly scary song. Did you ever actually listen to the lyrics?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Shit, I'm diggin all of this stuff that's been posted! I'm probably going to be a fan...I'm easy to please I guess.

I will explore further.
    I have the offering box set, got it for $48 on Wayside and I do not regret it. Every time I listen to it I enjoy it. I think we are kind of on the same page with our love of Magma?

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...X-spc-XXI.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post

Love in the Darkness is a truly scary song. Did you ever actually listen to the lyrics?
    There's english lyrics on the chorus, but is the verse real words or just his usual scat singing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I have the offering box set, got it for $48 on Wayside and I do not regret it. Every time I listen to it I enjoy it. I think we are kind of on the same page with our love of Magma?

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...X-spc-XXI.aspx
    This is the one I've got too, and I've never regretted it either. There is so much great music to enjoy on these discs, it's really almost obscene.

Almost.

That 2013 live CD/DVD collection is quite good too!

There's english lyrics on the chorus, but is the verse real words or just his usual scat singing?
    Real words. Seems to be about someone putting the moves on her to stop doing so. "I want to stop now baby..." "Where is all the love?"
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

That "Offering Presents" box did these albums dirty, I was able to track down some copies of the original CD's and it's amazing how detailed and balanced those sound compared to the sharp and compressed sound of the box, rock albums these are not. I hadn't listened to Offering for awhile, and what struck me visiting this music again is how composed it all really is. First listens to this stuff can feel kind of rambling, and some parts still are, but they always fit a larger compositional whole, Joia and Another Day being particularly good examples of this. Each vocal spot seems to have its own concept, like the light and fast intro to Joia, the call and response Christian/Stella bit on Another Day, the squeal fest of Earth, there's not a whole lot of soloing for soloing's sake, there's always some sort of momentum arc that's being followed. Also harmonically, this really isn't any different from Magma, slap some drums and a distorted bass on there and most of these tunes would still sound great. Offering kicks ass, weird abstracted english and all.

I don't have problems with the Offering box.

I've also a solo Vander, which was send to me accidently, instead of a Magma CD I ordered. Got the Magma CD as well, but was never asked to send Vander back. Listened a few times on YouTube, but didn't like it. The CD still is sealed. Perhaps I should give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't have problems with the Offering box.

I've also a solo Vander, which was send to me accidently, instead of a Magma CD I ordered. Got the Magma CD as well, but was never asked to send Vander back. Listened a few times on YouTube, but didn't like it. The CD still is sealed. Perhaps I should give it another try.
    Jazz trio?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Jazz trio?
    No To love

I like some of the Vander Trio or Quartet releases (such as Jour Après Jour), but I could never get into Offering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM