Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Palmer Legacy???

Carl Palmer Legacy???

Tickets go on sale tomorrow for the Carl Palmer Legacy show, I'm sure they will be in excess of $35 in a very nice small theater, question is - Is this worthwhile enough for an "evening of" or something more enjoyable in a multi-band festival setting?

The concept of ELP music played with unconventional instruments and no vocals is interesting but seems like the gimmick could wear thin over the course of an evening.

I should mention that i'm more than just a casual fan, as a young kid in '72 i picked up the first ELP album (because i liked the cover, no idea what was inside) that was the catalyst that fueled my interest in progressive rock for the ages.

I saw them BOTH ways - as a complete show a few years back at Penn's Peak and also at the first Yestival in Camden (Chris was still alive, sigh....). The opposite proved true. Over the full show, he started blazing but got more and more hot and warmed up to the absolute peak of his increased abilities and blew everyone away. By contrast, the Yestival slot was like the beginning of the full show but never got to the liquids molten stage.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I saw them BOTH ways - as a complete show a few years back at Penn's Peak and also at the first Yestival in Camden (Chris was still alive, sigh....). The opposite proved true. Over the full show, he started blazing but got more and more hot and warmed up to the absolute peak of his increased abilities and blew everyone away. By contrast, the Yestival slot was like the beginning of the full show but never got to the liquids molten stage.
    This is the only context where I've seen Carl other than in the ELP hey days of the 70's and I was very impressed with what he displayed.. particularly the guy with the stick.. I would imagine a full show would have been really cool..

I've seen Legacy live 2 years ago in Loreley, that was an amazing performance! I would definitely pay just to see it again.

I agree - I've seen them a few times recently and they've always been outstanding. All three of them are incredible musicians, and there are some really nice ELP moog parts triggered / played by the bass player - real "hairs on the back of your neck stuff". Don't miss out if you get the chance - just go!!

I have seen the DVD a few years ago and was disappointed with the audio, hope it will be better with the new DVD.

I just watched some 2018 footage of their version of Tarkus, wow, just hearing those signature drum rolls - I'm in!

I saw in Baja many years ago and it was a good show.

Will see him again in October when he comes to town.

Very simple: Go !

You will NOT be disappointed.
    G.A.S -aholic

2nd row center, i psyched!

I saw them during the Yestival tour, as well. I thought they were great. Wished that they had a longer set.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For me seeing him in an intimate theater was a treat to watch him work up close. I had previously only seen him from a distance on large stages (w/ Asia and ELP). True, it misses the Emerson touch, but Paul Bielatowicz and Simon Fitzpatrick gave the interpretations a new, fresh once over. I enjoyed it.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I wish he would focus a little more on his other works than just ELP standards but I’m sure he believes most people want to hear Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 1st impression etc. he puts on an energetic show and the musicians with him are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from London show, each time I see them a little better, some good midi sounds on the Stick really help, would still like to hear some keys. Carl still very fiery, and a good tight solo. Here's. Some left field choices I 'd like to hear.

Food for your Soul
    decline and Fall (Atomic Rooster)
    Brain Salad Surgery ( Works 2)
    Pancha Suite ( Crimzoid) from Anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    2nd row center, i psyched!
    Do NOT forget to take ear protectors!

I forgot mine last time & couldn't hear properly for a couple of days - his kit is LOUD !!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We saw the show in Montreal at the beautiful Le Gesu years back. It was a wonderful show but we did find ourselves lamenting the lack of vocals more than the missing keys.

Just seen them at A New Day festival in the UK, pretty much the highpoint of the weekend for me. Tarkus was stunning, would love to see a longer show, the energy was incredible.

Saw them a year ago or so and it was pretty cool. Bass, guitar and drums, doing all ELP, all instrumental. Some great old footage too.
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We saw the show in Montreal at the beautiful Le Gesu years back. It was a wonderful show but we did find ourselves lamenting the lack of vocals more than the missing keys.
    I was at that show too! The Gesu is a small auditorium under a church and the acoustics are excellent. Carl had his art exhibit on display after the show and all three gracefully signed autographs after the show. I had seen Steve Hackett the night before or after at the Place des arts and what a contrast of two former members of these legendary iconic Prog bands (ELP & Genesis) each one playing his own tribute and by far Hackett's was a killer! Carl's show was pleasing but very modest and a far cry from when I saw him with ELP at Olympic stadium in 1977 for sure!!
    Last edited by Rajaz; 08-08-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Improved phrasing

I love these guys. Seen them about 10 times over the last 10 years or so.

Missed them the last time through due to some car trouble.

The new CD/DVD is great with a lot of tunes that don't appear on his other live albums. The performance on that is great and the band was on fire when they played as a trio. They seemed to be really fired up for the gig.

Piling on to recommend that you just go! I was fine w/ not checking out someone imitating Greg Lake. Really high quality trio...the guitarist was fantastic, and added some teeth that weren't there on ELP recordings, (especially on Tarkus).

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Piling on to recommend that you just go! I was fine w/ not checking out someone imitating Greg Lake. Really high quality trio...the guitarist was fantastic, and added some teeth that weren't there on ELP recordings, (especially on Tarkus).
    It's interesting that you put it that way: in this version by Carl, there is no such thing as imitating Keith's keyboard playing or Greg's voice (maybe bass parts) so that shows that his Legacy band is truly authentic, wouldn't you agree?

Saw them again last night at the Arcada in St Charles IL (Chaicago area). I thought this was one of the best shows they've done, and I've been seeing them since 2006. Honestly I was a bit bored of them, but I always get free tickets because I do graphic work for Carl, so I still go check them out. The guitarist Paul B is now adding synthesized vocals on several tracks that were very effective. And the bass player uses Moog-like effects on his Chapman stick. They were extremely tight, and Carl was jaw dropping just as massively amazing as always. So impressive at his age. Like a ton of bricks and thunder during his solo.

Here's two scoops for PE... they are planning a ELP 50th Anniversary Tour for 2020, which will include and expanded band onstage. A singer and more. Next year a tour with YES (Steve & Co.).

Saw them some years back and they were great.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Please just tell me that Carl keeps his shirt on these days...

All kidding aside, I'd really like to see this group. Changing up ELP music with different instrumentation is something I'm interested in, having just done a couple performances of Tarkus with chapman stick, sax, and drums. Hopefully the upcoming anniversary tours will have stops somewhere nearby!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.