Page 391 of 399 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,775 of 9956

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    20 Days in Mariupol--won best Oscar for documentary. Free on YT. As the Russian invasion begins, a team of Ukrainian journalists trapped in the besieged city of Mariupol struggle to continue their work documenting the wars atrocities.
    I had no idea what it was about. Now I'm really interested in seeing it. Thanks for the rec.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Way to go Godzilla! Zero interest in The Oscar's though.
    My interest is roughly the same as yours, but I DO admit that I'm proud to live in a world where Arnold Schwarzenegger actually said "and the Oscar goes to Godzilla"
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    My interest is roughly the same as yours, but I DO admit that I'm proud to live in a world where Arnold Schwarzenegger actually said "and the Oscar goes to Godzilla"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I really wanted to see the new Godzilla movie in the theaters (preferably IMA but I can't find it playing *anywhere*. Also can't find it streaming on any of the usual platforms. If I'm not mistaken it wasn't released until December of last year. Not being much of a movie buff I have to ask: is that normal to only show new films in theaters for a couple of months? Seems like they are missing out by not showing it anywhere and capitalizing on some of the buzz from the Oscars but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    I really wanted to see the new Godzilla movie in the theaters (preferably IMA but I can't find it playing *anywhere*. Also can't find it streaming on any of the usual platforms. If I'm not mistaken it wasn't released until December of last year. Not being much of a movie buff I have to ask: is that normal to only show new films in theaters for a couple of months? Seems like they are missing out by not showing it anywhere and capitalizing on some of the buzz from the Oscars but what do I know.
    I don't know, but you'd think one theater in town would keep pictures a bit longer. During Dec. Jan. I looked for Oppenheimer and The Holdovers to see a film then. Would have been a perfect time, but couldn't find any of them anywhere. They were onto the next 'hot' flim whatever that was, and none interested me.

Swiss Army Man--rather juvenile movie, I guess made for an young teen audience. Pass.

Re: Godzilla Minus One not playing anywhere. That's not an accident, but the reason is kind of annoying. Toho HAD to pull the films because they have an agreement with Legendary to not to compete with THEIR Godzilla movie (Godzilla v. Kong II or whatever). So even though Godzilla Minus One was still actually drawing respectable ticket sales, at the 8-week mark or so (8 weeks away from GvK's release date), it was pulled.

So yeah...the best Godzilla film I've ever seen and the first film in the series to win an Oscar was pulled prematurely so everyone can instead watch King King and his robot arm ride a pink fire Godzilla into battle.

(all the above happens before the 30 second mark)

Last edited by battema; 03-15-2024 at 06:40 AM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I thought Poor Things was very good. Picture Frankenstein, Alice In Wonderland and Big Fish tossed in a blender and directed by Terry Gilliam. Gorgeously shot and designed and creatively directed.
    I saw Poor Things on Sunday, had no real advance notice about what to expect, and had not seen a trailer. I agree with everything you've said, and also thought the acting was grand.....but boy, that is not a family-friendly movie. I watched it with my son and his wife, and I think it made them uncomfortable, LOL. None if us is a prude, but......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I saw Poor Things on Sunday, had no real advance notice about what to expect, and had not seen a trailer. I agree with everything you've said, and also thought the acting was grand.....but boy, that is not a family-friendly movie. I watched it with my son and his wife, and I think it made them uncomfortable, LOL. None if us is a prude, but......
    Reminds me of the time I went to see Black Swan with my late grandmother. We were both into art films but were unprepared for some of the content in that movie. That was uncomfortable ride home afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Reminds me of the time I went to see Black Swan with my late grandmother. We were both into art films but were unprepared for some of the content in that movie. That was uncomfortable ride home afterwards.
    LOL, similar issues. The "Apple Scene."
    I'll say no more.

It probably didn't help that I was guffawing loudly every time some improbable sexual situation occurred, while my wife and daughter-in-law were silent, and looked uncomfortable.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I was in line at a liquor store when Sideways was in theaters. The cashier said something about selling a lot of merlot because of that movie. And a woman in line said she took her 70-something mother to that movie. She admitted that the scene with retrieving the missing wallet was ... difficult to watch.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Movies come and go pretty quickly these days. Godzilla was in our theater for about 2 months as I think word for mouth about the film grew the audience over time. We see a lot of movies and it seems like most of them are only in theaters for a few weeks to a month on average anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Movies come and go pretty quickly these days. Godzilla was in our theater for about 2 months as I think word for mouth about the film grew the audience over time. We see a lot of movies and it seems like most of them are only in theaters for a few weeks to a month on average anymore.
    Not to be that guy, but I'll be that guy for once...see my post above. It didn't leave because of dwindling sales, Toho had to pull it prematurely

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    ...but boy, that is not a family-friendly movie. I watched it with my son and his wife, and I think it made them uncomfortable, LOL. None if us is a prude, but......
    Reminds me of the scene from That 70s Show when Eric went to see Annie Hall with his mom; this should start at the relevant scene (5:25):

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Not to be that guy, but I'll be that guy for once...see my post above. It didn't leave because of dwindling sales, Toho had to pull it prematurely
    Yes, I realize that, but when the film first came out it was only showing on a very limited basis but then expanded as word of mouth started getting around about it. Then the conflict with the Toho film came along and forced it to be pulled.

The 'Burbs--old Tom Hanks movie with an interesting cast about a family next door that's similar to The Addams family in some ways. A rec from a friend, I'd never seen it. For the most part it was okay, it went on too long and I'll admit I'm not a huge comedy fan, many of the jokes fell flat for me. Borrow from library.

Re: Godzilla Minus One not playing anywhere. That's not an accident, but the reason is kind of annoying. Toho HAD to pull the films because they have an agreement with Legendary to not to compete with THEIR Godzilla movie (Godzilla v. Kong II or whatever). So even though Godzilla Minus One was still actually drawing respectable ticket sales, at the 8-week mark or so (8 weeks away from GvK's release date), it was pulled.
    Thanks. That just seems so bizarre to me. I mean if it's a competitor and all then why enter into an agreement like that?

Anyway I'd still like to see it so I hope it comes out on Netflix, HBO Max or somewhere like that in the not too distant future.

Thanks. That just seems so bizarre to me. I mean if it's a competitor and all then why enter into an agreement like that?

Anyway I'd still like to see it so I hope it comes out on Netflix, HBO Max or somewhere like that in the not too distant future.
    It's not strictly competition...Toho licensed the character to Legendary so they're going to get a cut of the Godzilla v. Kong profits too. But I think even they were a little caught off guard by Godzilla Minus One's success at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, I realize that
    Aaaand THAT'S why nobody likes "that guy" comments Sorry, my bad!!

I think people are missing the point about Godzilla Minus One a bit. It's quite a thing that it played AT ALL in North American theatres. It's a foreign movie with subtitles with a giant monster in it. It's a borderline miracle that I got to see it in Imax in a regular theatre in Toronto. The fact that it lasted even as long as it did, is a testament as to just how good a movie overall it is. The human drama, the effects, the purpose of vision...amazing. They may have eventually had to pull it, due to the upcoming Legendary movie, but pretty incredible that it made across the pond, on a somewhat regular release, at all.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I think people are missing the point about Godzilla Minus One a bit. It's quite a thing that it played AT ALL in North American theatres. It's a foreign movie with subtitles with a giant monster in it. It's a borderline miracle that I got to see it in Imax in a regular theatre in Toronto. The fact that it lasted even as long as it did, is a testament as to just how good a movie overall it is. The human drama, the effects, the purpose of vision...amazing. They may have eventually had to pull it, due to the upcoming Legendary movie, but pretty incredible that it made across the pond, on a somewhat regular release, at all.

Neil
    Typically the Toho Godzilla films make a limited showing in the North American theaters; I saw the prior film Shin Gojira in a theater when it came out. But to your point, typically those are VERY limited things, almost like Fathom events with just a few dates. Godzilla Minus One was originally booked for maybe a week in North American theaters but then it started to outperform any expectations and it ended up being in theaters for several weeks, first in original form and then back for a second short stretch in black and white.

And 100% agreed...it's an amazing film. Never thought I'd be telling random people to go see a Godzilla movie but....here we are

The Sword and the Sorcerer

Pretty much the Benny Hill version of Conan 80's fantasy trash at its finest. So much fun.

7.6 out of 10 shooting swords
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Sword and the Sorcerer

Pretty much the Benny Hill version of Conan 80's fantasy trash at its finest. So much fun.

7.6 out of 10 shooting swords
    I remember seeing that when it came out in the theatre, and it was a lot of fun. Haven't seen it since. Time for a re-watch.

Neil

It

Aaaand THAT'S why nobody likes "that guy" comments Sorry, my bad!!
    I didn't mean that in a snarky way, just replying to your comment. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The 'Burbs--old Tom Hanks movie with an interesting cast about a family next door that's similar to The Addams family in some ways. A rec from a friend, I'd never seen it. For the most part it was okay, it went on too long and I'll admit I'm not a huge comedy fan, many of the jokes fell flat for me. Borrow from library.
    I saw it years ago, but don't remember much about it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Last night we watched Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One (2023). Night before we watched John Wick Chapter 4 (2023). A combined 6 hours of adrenaline rush. Guess we should find something more boring to watch next. Both movies were very good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973