Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

The eons are closing
    HP doesn't give you the disc anymore; I could try the recovery but that comes with the bloatware
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

You didn't do a backup when you first got the machine?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Its preinstalled cr@p from HP. So their recovery, which includes Win7, has it. I never had a backup without the bloatware; thats the issue.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

We've gotten two desktops and a laptop in the last three years. None of them came with discs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's been a while, but I seem to recall re-installing Windows from discs and not having the bloatware.

I'd Google your model and the problem and see what others have done.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I got windows 8 for 14 UK Pounds due to an 'upgrade' offer with a laptop... And I wished I didn't bother. Same old stuff. Fresh install's okay, but give it a few months and the same old story - slow startup, applications locking up. I'm running it on a PC with a SSD and it's still a dog.

And that new 'full screen' former Metro is an atrocity and utterly unusable on a desktop PC with a mouse. I want windows. I don't want full screen apps. I tend to have something open while I'm watching a video or using Skype. The bizarre way I had to keep flipping back and forth to that quite illogical 'formerly metro' interface was annoying, as was the inability to do any context menus when I was there to just pin notepad to the proper desktop. I ended up downloading a third party start menu. I don't want to work this way. Even worse the whole thing looks and feels slapdash, and depending where my mouse pointer is weird things happen - full screen apps go into strange split screen modes, or the whole 'formerly metro' thing scaled down to a tiny blob in the middle of the display.

For similar reasons I dislike the 'launcher' thing they bodged into Mac OS. At least they didn't stick that in and make the whole of the UI require it (Although stuff like that does work well on a Mac with a magic mouse or touchpad.) Strangely, I only got into using Macs because I built a cheap PC out of 32 quid gigabyte motherboard that could run Mac OS. I found I was using more than my Windows PC (It started up in a fraction of the time) so I ended up getting a Macbook and Mac Mini. My wife also prefers to use Macs as well now. I find some aspects of them to be shit as well. Finder, for a start, is woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I still have Vista and I'm not really wanting to go to Windows 8. I'm not looking forward to replacing my computer.
    I was taking a look at those Microsoft tablets this w-e... most likely using W8.... I don't want to learn android or Apple, so most likely I'll indulge in one of those when my good old HP with Vista-prof (preferred Xp, though) dies out...

what's this BS about new comps with the discs ... Have I missed a nuclear war or sumthin????
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have the Win3.11 install floppies if anyone needs them for a re-install. Faster boot time, leaner install, and even more apps by default than Win8.

I had W8 looking and behaving like W7 in less than 45 seconds.

If you complain about Win8, then wait and see Office 2013. Utter crap!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I had W8 looking and behaving like W7 in less than 45 seconds.
    Jr is the IT guy at his company, he told me that this was an easy option as well

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    If you complain about Win8, then wait and see Office 2013. Utter crap!
    At least you don't have to actually install Office 2013

But, I agree... MS are going off entirely in the wrong direction.

Use LibreOffice.

I just got a new home Pc with Windows7. I mostly use my computer for recording (Reaper). I had everything running great on XP, and this was an old machine. The motherboard finally went so I had no choice. I have a friend who puts my system together, and he advised against Windows 8, said it was still to buggy. So Windows 7 it is.

I hate upgrading where DAWs are concerned, inevitably you have compatability issues. It took some time, research and modifications, but I think (hope) I have things running again. Its a very frustrating process, always painful.

I wish I knew someone who put systems together for music production.

There are many DAW builders out there, just Google it and you'll see. Building your own DAW can be a daunting task - having the right motherboard, RAM, processors, disks, redundancy, video and audio cards working well with everything else, not to mention your target software. Read up on forums and listen to those who've learned about these things - or just circumvent the entire process and buy a DAW from a reputable builder who guarantees their box will work with whatever platform you land on.

Flip side - buy a Mac and you'll have many potential issues resolved out-of-the-box.

Download "Skip Metro Suite" and "Start 8," and you'll have a computing environment virtually indistinguishable from Windows 7.

Microsoft would have been smart to release two versions of W8 -- one for mobile devices and one tailored to PCs. The one-size-fits-all approach was a total fail.

hey hippypants when your in safe mode type in msconfig to remove the unneeded start up programs ,also go to add and removed the unneeded programs .

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Microsoft would have been smart to release two versions of W8 -- one for mobile devices and one tailored to PCs. The one-size-fits-all approach was a total fail.
    Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose? I thought the whole idea behind W8 was to unify the phone/tablet/PC experience.

I guess it's fine for things like the Surface Pro, which is supposed to be a PC-tablet hybrid, but I work on a laptop with no touchscreen, and the whole Metro thing is just clutter that I have no use for. But if I had a tablet, I'm sure it would be great, and I'd have much less need for the traditional desktop interface. I think they should have at least given users the ability to disable Metro (and add a start button).

I dunno. I really don't like Apple, but I think they got it right when they developed separate versions of their OS for their PCs and their mobile devices.

I'd still be on W7, but my PC is my livelihood, and when my old one died suddenly, I had to make a quick purchase -- and there wasn't a W7 computer to be found at any store I went to. I really don't like W8 at all, but I've managed to tweak it to make it look and act like W7, more or less. So in the end, all is well, but I'm far from convinced that this was Microsoft's smartest move.

i know the Zune player never caught up with the iPod and i'm pretty sure the Windows Phone is still way behind the iPhone but i'm gonna ask anyway.. does anybody have experience with Windows Phone 8? since i'm a MS/Windows guy, i was thinking of getting one since it would be easier for me to pick up mobile programming using say C# than it would having to learn Objective C from scratch.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i know the Zune player never caught up with the iPod and i'm pretty sure the Windows Phone is still way behind the iPhone but i'm gonna ask anyway.. does anybody have experience with Windows Phone 8? since i'm a MS/Windows guy, i was thinking of getting one since it would be easier for me to pick up mobile programming using say C# than it would having to learn Objective C from scratch.
    If you already know how to use languages such as C or C++, or just understand Object Oriented design, then you really don't have to 'learn' anything more than a new syntax (Which is quite a shock when you start on Objective-C due to the mix of C and Smalltalk syntax) and a lot of new APIs (Which are well documented and well designed.) I had to do some Objective-C for a project at work, and didn't have much difficulty picking it up in a day or so. The main shock is the use of [] notation to send objects messages: [obj message].

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    I just upgraded from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 yesterday, with the HTC 8X. That is a seriously impressive phone so far. The programming paradigm is similar to Silverlight (they aren't calling it Silverlight any more) but if you're already familiar with XAML then it will be fairly easy to transition to.

Since you're a C# programmer (so am I), you should go to http://xamarin.com/ and take a look at Xamarin.iOS (formerly MonoTouch). It's full support for C# and the portable parts of the .NET framework, with full support for Apple's iOS libraries as well. It compiles to native, and seems to run as fast as code in objective-c, although the app startup time is a little longer. All the library method names and event handling are translated to a more C#-friendly style, making code a lot easier to read and write. There's a free try-out, and the "Indie" license is reasonably priced.

Their development environment looks a lot like Visual Studio; however, you will still need a Mac and Xcode. You will also need at least a reading knowledge of objective-c to read Apple's documentation.

They do the same thing for Android, as well. C# is now your cross-platform mobile language! Xamarin's getting started docs are very good, and they are quite serious about cross-platform portability.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I get why they did it, because everything is moving to tablets and phones. Except it's a real piece of shit for those of us who actually try to get shit done on a computer. My new laptop supposedly has a psuedo start menu app but I can't find it and Samsung customer service is about as useful as the proverbial tits on a boar.

And no, I wasn't going to spend an extra grand to buy a Mac with unimpressive stats, the inability to run my games, and a much, much smaller memory.
    If I'm understanding you here you can't locate your start button? On my HP Pavillion using W8,it's in the bottom left hand corner. Invisible until the cursor gets to where it is,then you can see it and just click. That takes you to the start page and access to all your apps and desk top if you so wish. Now then,WTF is "Bloatware?

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    I just upgraded from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 yesterday, with the HTC 8X. That is a seriously impressive phone so far. The programming paradigm is similar to Silverlight (they aren't calling it Silverlight any more) but if you're already familiar with XAML then it will be fairly easy to transition to.

Since you're a C# programmer (so am I), you should go to http://xamarin.com/ and take a look at Xamarin.iOS (formerly MonoTouch). It's full support for C# and the portable parts of the .NET framework, with full support for Apple's iOS libraries as well. It compiles to native, and seems to run as fast as code in objective-c, although the app startup time is a little longer. All the library method names and event handling are translated to a more C#-friendly style, making code a lot easier to read and write. There's a free try-out, and the "Indie" license is reasonably priced.

Their development environment looks a lot like Visual Studio; however, you will still need a Mac and Xcode. You will also need at least a reading knowledge of objective-c to read Apple's documentation.

They do the same thing for Android, as well. C# is now your cross-platform mobile language! Xamarin's getting started docs are very good, and they are quite serious about cross-platform portability.
    yup, know all about Monotouch. about a year ago i bought a book entitled Developing C# Apps for iPad and iPhone using Monotouch thinking at the time it (MT) was open source. it wasn't til after i got the book i realized it wasn't free and that i had to buy a license which i think is still $200. too much right now. in addition, your mention of needing a Mac is new to me and something i'm not willing to do. probably be cheaper in the long run to learn objective C.
    as far as Windows Phone, i know v7 also used Silverlight/XAML. Charles Petzold wrote an ebook about programming Phone 7 that i downloaded and took a look at. not sure about the differences between 7 and 8 though. i know the whole tiling thing is probably new.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

It's very difficult to develop apps for iOS devices without a Mac. You'll either need to buy one, build a 'hackintosh' or use some sort of virtualisation if you want to run the Apple tools (Both of which are not official, as I believe Mac OS is only licensed to run on Apple hardware). If you want to download apps to the iOS device, you'll need to be signed up to the developer programme. Or do it via 'back doors'.

Bloatware is all the crap manufacturers attach at the behest of lousy software manufacturers. Adobe, Norton, dozens of games, various media player options but never a decent one like Plex or WMC, etc.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart