Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirsty MacColl: 'a scandously unsung talent'

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Then why post here? You can always look her up on YouTube.

I only know her from her work with the Pogues, but my god, what a voice.
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that stating my own ignorance would offend anyone...
    The Prog Corner

I’m not as familiar with her work as I probably should be. I have heard some of her music in passing. I do know many who hold her work in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And she was a progressive music artist?
    headache elkins reaction.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not looking to hijack the thread, but was that the Angels & Cigarettes album? I have it, and it's brilliant. Don't think I'd call it Pop, as it's very moody. I'm not surprised it didn't click with that audience. But, as you point out, not a Folk album either.
    Dreams of Breathing Underwater is even better-- more eclectic folk/pop mix, gets pretty proggy at times.

Tonight England face Columbia in Moscow in the World Cup. It is the most important game an England team has played in years. And so across the country 20 million people will, for two hours, lay aside their copies of 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' and hope that this time it will work out differently.

Kirsty, of course, had a song for this:

'England 2 Columbia 0' .......

...... even if it was, as usual, a song about how fellas rather than football teams let you down.

For what it's worth, I was reading about her death on Wikipedia. She was scuba diving, in Cozumel, with her sons, in an area that was restricted to boat traffic. While they were surfacing a boat came into the area illegally. She heroically pushed one of her sons out of the boat's path, was herself struck and killed. The boat belonged to some millionaire jackass, who was on board with his family. Supposedly, one of the jackass' employees was behind the wheel, though witnesses say he wasn't. The scapegoat was sentenced to two years in prison, but was able to avoid prison time by paying what amounted to a fine of something like 90 bucks. Talk about a miscarriage of justice! And I bet the guy was probably rewarded handsomely by his boss for "taking a bullet" for him.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-03-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    (posts picture of Kristy McNichol)
    I kinda had the hots for her when she was on Empty Nest. And yes, I know, she came out a few years ago. I have a strange habit of being attracted to lesbians. I wonder if there's a word for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I have a strange habit of being attracted to lesbians. I wonder if there's a word for that.
    Unobtainium.

Really liked her CD called Kite

Unobtainium.
    Well, yeah, but I think that would apply to virtually all the women I see on TV/movies/album covers, including the straight ones. I mean, Lita Ford and Jessica Alba are both just as unobtainable as Sara Gilbert, Kirsty McNichol, or Jodie Foster. Am I right?

Unobtainium.
    Well, yeah, but I think that would apply to virtually all the women I see on TV/movies/album covers, including the straight ones. I mean, Jane Weidlin, Lita Ford, Jessica Alba, or any given actress from Doctor Who, Farscape or the Star Trek franchise are all just as unobtainable as Sara Gilbert, Kristy McNichol, or Jodie Foster. Am I right?
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-03-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Double right.

Kirsty continues to turn up in the most unexpected of places ......... on Prog Ears and now this morning in an editorial in The Times of London. I know Yes get the odd mention on Prog Ears but have they ever been in the thoughts of a leader writer for the most illustrious newspaper in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Kirsty continues to turn up in the most unexpected of places ......... on Prog Ears and now this morning in an editorial in The Times of London. I know Yes get the odd mention on Prog Ears but have they ever been in the thoughts of a leader writer for the most illustrious newspaper in the world?
    If the mighty Yes has not, then the paper should be stripped of the title!

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    From the Sunday Times:

'a scandously unsung talent who, at the time of her tragic death, had so much left to give.'

And how!
    She's somebody i was only slightly aware of but didn't pay enough attention to. Then just a couple of days ago a facebook friend posted this gem of a video -

Wowsa!