Thread: Wendy Carlos Trivia Question

Wendy Carlos Trivia Question

So today I ran across a CD I'd never seen before, it's not even in Discogs. It's a compilation of the two LPs by The National Jazz Ensemble, a big band led by Chuck Israels and featuring Nick Brignola, Gerry Niewood, Jimmy Knepper, Lee Konitz, Rod Levitt, Sal Nistico, Bill Evans, and several other big names who achieved success as solo artists. These recordings, 1975 & 1976, are some of the finest brass recordings ever made, and they're analog! I used to have (and love) the LPs but sold them with the rest. Never thought I'd see a CD of them.

Here's the weird bit.

The first album says, in the fine print, "Digital transfer, Wendy Carlos."

What? I've never run across any other album engineered or digitized or produced by Carlos. I wasn't aware she'd ever done anybody else's music. But these were done in New York where she lives, and how many "Wendy Carlos"s can there be in New York who are proficient in digital transfers. It's gotta be her, right? The CD is dated 2002.

I checked there first. National Jazz Ensemble wasn't listed

Beginning in 1998, Carlos digitally remastered her studio albums, culminating in the Switched-On Box Set released in 1999 featuring her four synthesized classical albums.

In 2005, the two-volume set Rediscovering Lost Scores was released, featuring previously out-of-print material, including the unreleased soundtrack to Woundings and music recorded for A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Tron that was not used in the films.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Guess you could contact the record label and see if they'd respond. Is it the CD on the Chiaroscuro label?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Beginning in 1998, Carlos digitally remastered her studio albums, culminating in the Switched-On Box Set released in 1999 featuring her four synthesized classical albums.

In 2005, the two-volume set Rediscovering Lost Scores was released, featuring previously out-of-print material, including the unreleased soundtrack to Woundings and music recorded for A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Tron that was not used in the films.
    Thank you for cutting-and-pasting from the Wikipedia article on her.

That I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Thank you for cutting-and-pasting from the Wikipedia article on her.

That I wrote.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I have an album by Bognermayr and Zuschrader, with an endorsmentstatement by Wendy Carlos.

It's not on the CD-version of the album.