Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

I was listening to Earthless and Wo-Fat last night. Two very different bands but I guess both firmly fall under the stoner umbrella. Anyway, every time I spin "Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky", I hear something new. I don't know if they were influenced by Krautrock but I hear a lot of things that remind me of Ash Ra Tempel and Amon Duul...as well as Blue Cheer! Incredible power trio.

And am I completely nuts if I say that Wo-Fat reminds me of classic ZZ Top? I don't know, there is almost a southern rock sound to my ears. At least there was last night while under the influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    And am I completely nuts if I say that Wo-Fat reminds me of classic ZZ Top? I don't know, there is almost a southern rock sound to my ears. At least there was last night while under the influence.
    They definitely have a "Texas" vibe going on. I won't complain as I think it adds a little something to their sound.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I finally sat down this weekend and seriously listened to Causa Sui's "Pewt'r Sessions". Yeah, it's just extended jams but man do I love these guys! This one is every bit as good as their Summer Sessions from a few years back.

Not stoner per se, but heavy retro psyche that deserve a mention in this thread.

Yes, there is a bit of that vibe. There is also a bit of Mississippi Hill Country blues artists in their overall sound. Before I bought their albums, I was doing some reading about the band and was thrilled to see they were fans of that genre (i.e. RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, Fat Possum Records) and that cemented my decision to buy (along with having heard the samples). They do quote some of those artists on the Psychodelanaut album. Their overall smoky, blistering sound that threatens to veer out of control is right out of the MHC blues playbook...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    They definitely have a "Texas" vibe going on. I won't complain as I think it adds a little something to their sound.
    For a very early ZZ TOP sound, check also the 2nd album by MOUNT CARMEL "Real Women".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Going through the 6.66 sale at ATIH, this is one of the bands I didn't know that I checked out on YT. I'm buying their CD.

sounds like robin trower

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    sounds like robin trower
    I can't tell if that's a compliment or if it means "too derivative".

I've really been digging that latest Wo Fat disc! Is their back catalogue just as strong?
    Just listened to some clips from that album-never heard these guys before, but I think I'll be picking this up! Some SERIOUS riffage going on there!

I cannot believe all the great music I'm discovering thanks to this thread. No shit, it's been a little like discovering the underground prog scene in 1991!! Some of the bands I'm really digging so far are Colour Haze, Ancestors, Kyuss and Glowsun. Last night, I listened to the new OM album for the first time and it blew me away. It kind of reminded me of Dead Can Dance jamming with Black Sabbath and The PLJ Band. Just awe-inspiring stuff. Not to mention Witchcraft and Blood Ceremony. It seems like there's an endless amount of music under the psychedelic/stoner rock banner out there. And I've recently re-discovered Saint Vitus, a band I hadn't listened to since I had them on an old SST compilation cassette back in the 80s. Thanks again guys!
    I second Steve's statement above. So much cool music in this genre. I picked up that latest Kadavar based on Yves' recommendation, and really dig it a lot. Have you guys checked out Sideburn? Their latest IV Monument is SMOLDERING stuff, doomy metal with some classic metal overtones and plenty of crushing riffs. If you like the mix of stoner with '70s hard rock the Transubstans Records/Record Heaven folks are coming out with tons of great new bands out of Scandinavia, like Captain Crimson, Three Seasons, Thalamus, Stonewall Noise Orchestra, and many more.

Pete, I think you'll really dig Wo-Fat! Funny you should mention Three Seasons. I just got their first album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I heard a few samples and it sounded like really cool Deep Purple-ish retro rock.

Good to see you contributing Pete! I'll have to check out some of those bands. Transubstans is a great label!

Samsara Blues Experiment. Here's their entire debut album:

Edit: thought they were on Transubstans but maybe they're not. Posting from work. Still a fantastic album!

Pete, I think you'll really dig Wo-Fat! Funny you should mention Three Seasons. I just got their first album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I heard a few samples and it sounded like really cool Deep Purple-ish retro rock.
    Yeah, I'm going to order up the last couple of Wo Fat albums-really like what I've heard! Three Seasons are very good-their latest is excllent Deep Purple inspired retro hard rock, and you should also check out Thalamus who are very similar, complete with some awesome Hammond organ. Have you guys checked out Sir Admiral Cloudesly Shovell? Their latest is KILLER! Like a weird mix of Black Sabbath, MC5, Stooges, Blue Cheer, Budgie, Captain Beyond, and Sir Lord Baltimore. One of my favorites from 2012.

Glad to have really investigated this thread Yves. So many good bands out there doing this sort of thing!

Funny you should mention Three Seasons. I just got their first album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
    Second Understand The World is better than Life's Road i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Sir Admiral Cloudesly Shovell?
    Excellent retro metal... on the same side with the great Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats. I liked the way they incorporated elements of NWoBHM to their sound as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Second Understand The World is better than Life's Road i.m.o.
    Totally agree!

Samsara Blues Experiment- good stuff Yves!

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Samsara Blues Experiment- good stuff Yves!
    Their second album " Revelation & Mystery" is a bit more focused, streamlined, and heavy. I'd recommend both!

Excellent retro metal... on the same side with the great Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats. I liked the way they incorporated elements of NWoBHM to their sound as well...
    That's another band I've been meaning to investigate. Uncle Acid only has one album so far, correct?

^ this is from Amazon: "Yes, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats have, in recent times, become one of the most talked about rock bands currently in existence. Mind Control (their third full-length album) is set for release in April, following their two debut London sell-out concerts at The Garage. ...From the album comes the monstrously catchy Poison Apple, which gives a glimpse into their exciting dark melodic realm and fuzzorama enhanced tales of terror and horror. Mind Control is a concept album with a theme that makes the acts and intentions of the likes of Charles Manson and Jim Jones seem like petty crimes. What makes Mind Control scarier than most albums is that it doesnt seem as sinister on the surface as it really is deep down within the core of its black acid-drenched world of pain and torture. It's very easy to get carried away and lost in the magnificent heavy groovy sounds and psychedelic jams but dont forget this UNCLE ACID HAS COME TO KILL!!"

and this is their metal-archives entry: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/...ats/3540329522

Fwiw, this UA&TD first album:

Their second album " Revelation & Mystery" is a bit more focused, streamlined, and heavy. I'd recommend both!
    Just checked Amazon-those are quite pricey!

Some monstrous grooves and riffs on that album-had the CD in my hand at FYE a few weeks ago and put it back. Think I'll have to go and snatch that one up!

Davis, thanks for posting. Sounds killer!

That's another band I've been meaning to investigate. Uncle Acid only has one album so far, correct?
    Two if you count their officially released 2010 "Vol 1" CDr, which is probably still on sale directly from Killer Candy Records.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS