Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Records at Dillard's...

Records at Dillard's...

My wife was at Dillard's(Department store) this past weekend, snapped this pic for me..

20180518_151149.jpg

Sorry about above pic..tried to get upright/delete, no can do...

I wonder how many of those were taken from the original masters, and how many of them were remastered (and so sound like the supposedly inferior CD editions).

I didn't even know Dillard's still existed. There has been one around here in ages.

The beginning of the end.

Once records begin being displayed and sold in every variety store they'll lose their cachet of being "cool" and the hipsters will drop them like yesterday's cat videos.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Once records begin being displayed and sold in every variety store they'll lose their cachet of being "cool" and the hipsters will drop them like yesterday's cat videos.
    Good, then we can go back to listening to music on superior formats that don't have pops, clicks, skips and scratches on them.

Didn't department stores used to sell records back in the day? I seem to remember places like Sears and K-Mart used to have record departments. That was supposedly why Warner Brothers wouldn't let the Grateful Dead call their second live album Skullfuck, because "K-Mart won't stock a record called Skullfuck" (also, I believe, one of the stated reasons why Spinal Tap couldn't use their proposed cover for Smell The Glove).

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Looks like the same rack jobber that handles the Walmart account.
    Vinyl is everywhere these days.
    Revelation 5:4
    The Prog Corner

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

These are the only Dillards I ever heard of.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I bought a good deal of my records from EJ Korvettes back in the day...Also TSS Record Shop(Times Square Stores)...But those were so called "discount" department stores..Dillard's is on par with stores like Macy's, Belk's and JC Pennys...But most of these stores are selling USB turntables nowadays, especially around the holidays ..
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Good, then we can go back to listening to music on superior formats that don't have pops, clicks, skips and scratches on them.

Didn't department stores used to sell records back in the day? I seem to remember places like Sears and K-Mart used to have record departments. That was supposedly why Warner Brothers wouldn't let the Grateful Dead call their second live album Skullfuck, because "K-Mart won't stock a record called Skullfuck" (also, I believe, one of the stated reasons why Spinal Tap couldn't use their proposed cover for Smell The Glove).

I sense a new market for 8-tracks on the way.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That picture, when I turned my head 90 degrees, looked like the old jobber racks at the local drugstore in the mid 60s. You could get the latest Herman's Hermits or Johnny Rivers albums in the those wire racks. What next - tube-testers?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Cashing in on the youth market/trends. I remember going to Sears, Montgomery Wards, and even supermarkets to buy records back in the 60s.

Hell, I saw a Far East Family Band album at a Woolworth's back in the 70s. Almost bought it based on the cover, and still kicking myself that I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Cashing in on the youth market/trends. I remember going to Sears, Montgomery Wards, and even supermarkets to buy records back in the 60s.
    Our local mom & pop grocery had a rack; I bought my copies of Strange Days, Hurdy Gurdy Man, and Blind Faith there. Even a bit later, the massive Safeway chain briefly experimented with stocking LPs; I may have bought my copy of Fragile there.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I sense a new market for 8-tracks on the way.
    A few years ago, Cheap Trick released their new album on 8-track. Rick Nielsen said on That Metal Show they had the number two selling 8-track in the world that year! Kinda makes you wonder what number one must have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Our local mom & pop grocery had a rack; I bought my copies of Strange Days, Hurdy Gurdy Man, and Blind Faith there. Even a bit later, the massive Safeway chain briefly experimented with stocking LPs; I may have bought my copy of Fragile there.
    For awhile, I was seeing CD's at grocery stores, around 10-15 years ago. These were big chain stores (yeah, like tehre are any mom and pop grocery stores left), but they had interesting selections of CD's. I saw Roger The Engineer by The Yardbirds at one store. Should have bought the damn thing, since I don't have any Yardbirds on CD. I think that was a Topp's store.

I bought my copy of Asia's Aqua (CD) and my copy of the ABWH album (cassette) at a drugstore, for like 7 bucks each. That was back in the early or mid 90's, I think at Revco (before they got bought out by CVS). Come to think of it, I think that's how i ended up with a cassette copy of Steve Howe's Turbulence, too, might have even been from the same store (the one at Cedar Center, back before they re-built the place).

I remember on one of our family trips, we stopped a gas station, and I went inside, and they had a cassette rack, with The Magician's Birthday being one of those available. That was back in 1989, I believe.

In the early years of recording, records were sold in furniture stores as a "come on" to sell phonographs, which were often elaborate pieces of "furniture." Paramount records was a subsidiary of a furniture company that made phono cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I remember going to Sears, Montgomery Wards, and even supermarkets to buy records back in the 60s.
    In the late 60s there was a GE appliance store in Washington DC that carried British imports.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Aside from department stores, in the town I grew up in, they sold records at the musical instrument store too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For awhile, I was seeing CD's at grocery stores, around 10-15 years ago. These were big chain stores (yeah, like tehre are any mom and pop grocery stores left), but they had interesting selections of CD's. I saw Roger The Engineer by The Yardbirds at one store. Should have bought the damn thing, since I don't have any Yardbirds on CD. I think that was a Topp's store.

I bought my copy of Asia's Aqua (CD) and my copy of the ABWH album (cassette) at a drugstore, for like 7 bucks each. That was back in the early or mid 90's, I think at Revco (before they got bought out by CVS). Come to think of it, I think that's how i ended up with a cassette copy of Steve Howe's Turbulence, too, might have even been from the same store (the one at Cedar Center, back before they re-built the place).

I remember on one of our family trips, we stopped a gas station, and I went inside, and they had a cassette rack, with The Magician's Birthday being one of those available. That was back in 1989, I believe.
    A lot of those records at the tail end of life for LP's were the worst production of inferior vinyl ever perpetrated upon music lovers of this planet.
    Final production runs going for $2.99 at drugstores, grocery stores, gas stations and dollar stores.
    The vinyl was so light, you often wondered if there was anything inside.
    Sometimes I'll pick one up out of my rack to play after playing a 180g LP, and it's like WT???
    T
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

And yet, the weight of the vinyl HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS QUALITY. A more egregious example would be the use of recycled vinyl in the 1970s & ‘80s, where imperfections in the medium caused massive noise problems. I think thank god today’s 180g pressings are at least all virgin vinyl.

And yet, the weight of the vinyl HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS QUALITY.
    Not 100% true: today's heavier vinyl is less prone to warping than standard weight discs.

Remember in the '70s when RCA was pushing their paper-thin Dynaflex discs? Those promptly got nicknamed Dynawarp.

It's also my understanding the 180g vinyl has wider grooves which supposedly allows better fidelity with the audio less squished.
    This is what I've read anyway, and I'm not an expert and more than open to learn.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Not to mention the heavy vinyl LPs of the late 60s that were relatively quiet even if they had a lot of hairline scratches.

The good old days.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not 100% true: today's heavier vinyl is less prone to warping than standard weight discs.

Remember in the '70s when RCA was pushing their paper-thin Dynaflex discs? Those promptly got nicknamed Dynawarp.
    Agreed. I carefully examine any used discs I buy these days. The PassPort label was one of the absolute worst. I had a copy of The Best of The Guess Who on Dynaflex, and it was pretty much unplayable.