Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** World Cup 2018 Russia ***

*** World Cup 2018 Russia ***

The World Cup is just over 30 days away and leagues are wrapping up the world over as squads are assembled for this 32-team footie-fest.
    Just a reminder of who will be playing:

Group A Russia Saudi Arabia Egypt Uruguay

Group B Portugal Spain Morocco Iran

Group C France Australia Peru Denmark

Group D Argentina Iceland Croatia Nigeria

Group E Brazil Costa Rica Switzerland Serbia

Group F Germany Mexico Sweden South Korea

Group G England Belgium Tunisia Panama

Group H Colombia Japan Poland Senegal

So who do you fancy - who will surprise us - any individuals you will be watching out for?
    On that note I'll be interested in how Tom Rogic of Australia fares - he's hit great form with Celtic recently, and, although I don't expect Australia to make a serious dent in the competition it will be interesting to see him in action. Will Neymar recover from his injuries - he was named as part of the Brazil squad today. Can Salah inspire Egypt to be more than a one-man team?

I feel Germany will be the team to beat, with their massive traveling support - just can't see anyone but Brazil and maybe Argentina threatening them. Then again any team can just inexplicably fall apart - Brazil 1-7 Germany?

I think England will progress easily from their group as will Russia, Uruguay, Portugal, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil and Germany.

Did Italy not qualify? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did Italy not qualify? Wtf?
    Nope, Sweden pipped them to the spot in the play-offs. So, for the 1st time since 1958, the tournament will not feature the Azzurri.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Also no Netherlands or USA.

I like England to qualify out of their group with Belgium, they'll then play Poland, Colombia, Japan or Senegal so that should be doable. Then the trouble starts as England are likely to play Brazil or Germany in Quarter Finals. As usual I think we go out then.

My favorites are Germany, Brazil, Belgium, Argentina, France. Dark horses to come out of the groups - Egypt, Nigeria, Costa Rica.

My bracket

Quarter-Finals
    Portugal - France
    Brazil - Belgium
    Spain - Argentina
    Germany - England

Semis
    France - Belgium
    Argentina - Germany

Final
    France - Germany

Winner - France
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    go Sweden!

also, glad the USA isn't in it. now hopefully people will stop pretending to like this sport here in America.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    go Sweden!

also, glad the USA isn't in it. now hopefully people will stop pretending to like this sport here in America.
    You mean like this guy ... https://twitter.com/usasoccerguy

I think off-field it will be between Russia and UK

On-field it is anyone's guess
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Also no Netherlands or USA.
    Nah, the Netherlands just boycot Russia, We just made it look like we didn't qualify
    But the truth is; we officially suck these days,

I am going to support some of the outsider teams. Morocco is the obvious choice, since the captain of my club Feyenoord is playing for them. Unfortunately they did not have much luck in the draw. In a group with Spain and portugal it will be a tough job to qualify for the next round.

I am also interested how Nigeria will perform. A young team without any big names but they qualified easily in the strongest african group. They could be the surprise of the tournament.

My favorite for the title is France. They have so many talented players; its frightening. They can form 2 or 3 completely different teams that would compete for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

So who do you fancy - who will surprise us - any individuals you will be watching out for?
    On that note I'll be interested in how Tom Rogic of Australia fares - he's hit great form with Celtic recently, and, although I don't expect Australia to make a serious dent in the competition it will be interesting to see him in action...
    I'm a Celtic fan and see Tom Rogic every week...the boy is pure class and should thrive in the more cultured (for want of a better word) environment of World Cup football after the frantic stuff he's used to in Scotland.

I think France will win the whole thing. They don't usually do brilliantly in the World Cup but they've got loads of great youngsters. We've got quite a few of them at Celtic who'll probably feature at the next World Cup...

France hasn't been a contender since Zidane's head butt, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

Not me. Hopefully not qualifying will cause the US to start upping their game.

If the quality of play in MLS was anywhere near WC level, I'd follow it. I love the NFL and NCAA Football, but I don't watch High School football, for much the same reason as not watching MLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    We've got quite a few of them at Celtic who'll probably feature at the next World Cup...
    Yep - "P.C." Mikael Lustig with Sweden - Cristian Gamboa with Costa Rica and the aforementioned Mr Rogic with Australia. Not sure if Boyata's inconsistent form will get him a spot in the Belgium squad.
    I'm sure the trio of youngsters - Ntcham, Edouard and Dembele will feature for France in world cups to follow.

You mean like this guy ... https://twitter.com/usasoccerguy
    This is a joke that always makes me smile when it pops up on my feed!

Yep - "P.C." Mikael Lustig with Sweden - Cristian Gamboa with Costa Rica and the aforementioned Mr Rogic with Australia. Not sure if Boyata's inconsistent form will get him a spot in the Belgium squad.
    I'm sure the trio of youngsters - Ntcham, Edouard and Dembele will feature for France in world cups to follow.
    Yes it's the three musketeers I was talking about...and I meant the next World Cup after this one! Also...PC Lustig - love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I think off-field it will be between Russia and UK
    I don't think this will be true, at least i hope not. I was with a mate last weekend who is going out there to follow England, and his view is that it will be just official supporters travelling, trouble only arises when the games are cheaply accessible and the younger element go en-masse. The official supporters all have decades of games and tournaments behind them, they have no interest in trouble. I can't see Russia wanting this on their doorstep either, so will curb the excesses of their hooligan faction. It's one thing watching their idiots tear up Marseille, quite another in your own cities.

Withiout much thinking, here is who I see qualifying for 8ths of finals (in bold), though I'm not 100% negative for some (in italic).

Group A Russia Saudi Arabia Egypt Uruguay

Group B Portugal Spain Morocco Iran

Group C France Australia Peru Denmark

Group D Argentina Iceland Croatia Nigeria

Group E Brazil Costa Rica Switzerland Serbia

Group F Germany Mexico Sweden South Korea

Group G England Belgium Tunisia Panama

Group H Colombia Japan Poland Senegal
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think Group H - the one without any superstar teams, may turn out to be the most interesting contest.

Group A is pretty soft based on current FIFA rankings

Russia (70) Saudi Arabia (66) Egypt (46) Uruguay (17)
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If you look at the combined rankings of the teams in each group you get a measure of toughness, if you discount the bottom seed in each group you get an idea of how tough it will be for the top 3 to become 2 qualifiers (imperfect but you get the idea)

Group A (199-129) Russia Saudi Arabia Egypt Uruguay
    Group B (90-48) Portugal Spain Morocco Iran
    Group C (70-30) France Australia Peru Denmark
    Group D (93-45) Argentina Iceland Croatia Nigeria
    Group E (68-33) Brazil Costa Rica Switzerland Serbia
    Group F (100-39) Germany Mexico Sweden South Korea
    Group G (85-30) England Belgium Tunisia Panama
    Group H (114-54) Colombia Japan Poland Senegal

Group A - Easiest group by a mile, in theory Uruguay gets top spot & other 3 scrap in out.
    Group B - Portugal & Spain dominate, other 2 go home
    Group C - Really tough group, France, Peru & Denmark could all qualify (or not)
    Group D - Argentina top then Croatia & Iceland battle for second
    Group E - toughest group should be Brazil & Switzerland. Costa Rica could cause problems
    Group F - soft group - Germany top then Mexico & Sweden battle for second
    Group G - Belgium top group with England & Tunisia battling for second (banana skin anyone?)
    Group H - Second easiest group - any two from Poland, Colombia & Senegal to go through
    Ian

With the US not making it, what do you think the television coverage will be like here? Sure hope it's not like the Olympics. Germany and Brazil are my favs.

They've been stressing the Mexico angle in the TV advertising. I'm sure all the games will be on.
    Ian

I have a vpn, so anywhere they are showing it on broadcast tv I should be ok - is it on broadcast TV in the UK?

I have a vpn, so anywhere they are showing it on broadcast tv I should be ok - is it on broadcast TV in the UK?
    Yes. Games are split between BBC and ITV...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Yes. Games are split between BBC and ITV...
    Brilliant - my Spanish is lousy so this will be just what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Semis
    France - Belgium
    Argentina - Germany
    I'm not nearly as optimistic as you are about Belgium.

They'll qualify for the 16th for sure, but I don't see them really going far, because of lack of experience...
    For the last three qualification campaign (WC & EC), they've had easy groups which they often came out easily first, but never really a really big opponent (outside "friendly matches") with big stakes...
    The only biggie was against Italy at the previous EC (their opening match of the tournament) and they lost it big time.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.