Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog Magazine Chris Squire

Prog Magazine Chris Squire

Anybody seen this yet in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I got it in Canada about ten days ago or so. Waiting on the new issue now (Marillion - Brave cover)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I got mine quite a while ago. At least a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I got mine quite a while ago. At least a month.
    Did you find it in Kalamazoo? I checked with Barnes and Noble today and they still had the Ian Anderson issue.

I've been looking for weeks in the Philly, Jersey area. There are still a few Ian Anderson copies on the shelves, but, no sign of the Chris Squire Issue 96 anywhere in my area. I'm tempted to go this route, (https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co....prog-issue-86/), But I really don't want it smashed into my mailbox. I guess I will wait maybe one more week, but I'm thinking since none of the Barnes And Nobles have it yet maybe theyr'e done getting it imported. It's them or nobody around here unfortunately. Oh well, good news is off to see Brand X at The Sellersville Theater tonight. It would be nice if I were to see them with Scott, I will be able to compare with no Scott at the NJ Proghouse on Tuesday, which was fantastic.

Steve, correct me if I am wrong, you subscribe right? Mark I have not seen it in town yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Steve, correct me if I am wrong, you subscribe right? Mark I have not seen it in town yet.
    Yes, I have a subscription.

Mine arrived on the west coast about 3 weeks ago.....and yes, I have a subscription.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I ordered a copy on-line because my local B & N Bookstore is pretty much useless when it comes to Prog Mag.

PROG 87 (Marillion) just arrived via subscription last Monday. That's like 10 days from newstand release in UK to West Coast USA! Someone at Future Publishing is doing something about the past terrible distribution lag times......Kudo's when something goes right!

Back in April PROG offered a 5% discount on Subscriptions......I signed up for 2 Years.....that's 11 issues for $81.00 per year! That's $7.36 per issue delivered to my mailbox.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    PROG 87 (Marillion) just arrived via subscription last Monday. That's like 10 days from newstand release in UK to West Coast USA! Someone at Future Publishing is doing something about the past terrible distribution lag times......Kudo's when something goes right!

Back in April PROG offered a 5% discount on Subscriptions......I signed up for 2 Years.....that's 11 issues for $81.00 per year! That's $7.36 per issue delivered to my mailbox.
    Which is great if you want to read them all.
    From my experience, that is not usually the case...for those of us that were there (and paying attention), the majority of the stuff they cover I know and experienced.

How does it look after being put, shoved, or stuffed in your mailbox? I'm a little particular about damage. I know it won't fit in my mailbox like I can carry it home from the store,(if I can ever find it)
    Last edited by fiberman; 05-16-2018 at 08:17 PM.

How does it look after being put, shoved, or stuffed in your mailbox? I'm a little particular about damage. I know it won't fit in my mailbox like I can carry it home from the store,(if I can ever find it)
    It comes wrapped in plastic. The free CD is within the plastic wrap. I also subscribe to "Classic Rock" (from the same company), and I have rarely had any damage to either magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It comes wrapped in plastic. The free CD is within the plastic wrap. I also subscribe to "Classic Rock" (from the same company), and I have rarely had any damage to either magazine.
    Still no Prog at B+N today. I just went ahead and ordered iss. 86 (Chris Squire) + 87 (Brave) from MyFavouriteMagazines, 16.49 each delivered. That's actually cheaper than it would have been at the store, even if i could have found it. Hopefully they turn up in good shape, i'm kind of picky about that.

Yup. Your experience mirrors mine in every way.

I had never heard of the business but it looked like the best option
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 05-19-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I just got the Marillion Brave issue in the mail two days ago.

Does anyone know if it has stopped shipping to the US with the exception of subscriptions?

We carry Prog at the record store and haven't received the Chris Squire cover issue yet. I wouldn't be shocked if it arrives this week.

I don't buy every issue, but, I really wanted this one and I was afraid being as it is so much later than usual late that maybe B+N stopped getting it. The person that I talked to at the store told me they have a new distributor and they are getting things he never saw before, (OK, that's good), and not getting some of the magazines they used to get (not so good). You may be correct that it will come in this week but I was getting tired of going all that way two times a week for the last month or so. I very much hope B+N can stay in business, they are the only ones left around here in the Philly area still selling magazines. I'm anxious to see how MyFavoriteMagazines works out. It seemed like a bargain, but I will still get my other books and magazines from B+N.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I pre-ordered the Brave cover issues online. Looking forward to it. There is already a good story on the making of Brave on their deluxe set. I'm interested in reading further.

I don't buy every issue either, too pricey. But for me it will depend on the issue contents like a good tribute like the one on Chris Squire. Sadly, the one for John Wetton was really poor considering John's massive Prog legacy dating back to Family and King Crimson.

The "free" CDs are a nice bonus but nothing to rave about and are not the reason I buy the mag. I also buy them for the ads: new CDs and Festivals, are very cool full page colour ads. And concert/CD/DVD reviews describe what they are about and if they are worth going out to buy them if the value is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    The "free" CDs are a nice bonus but nothing to rave about and are not the reason I buy the mag.
    This solution isn't for everybody, but if you don't need the CD, you might consider switching to the app version. It's $3.99 an issue, which is like a quarter of the B&N price, and there's no waiting two or more months for it to show up. Still looks great on the iPad and doesn't add to the clutter in my home.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Squire issue still not out at US stores?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just received my shipping notice for the Brave cover. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Squire issue still not out at US stores?
    Like several people, I gave up looking** and ordered it.

**several times I wasted time by going to my local Barnes & Noble and several times I wasted time calling (sometimes no one answers and sometimes they would answer and take forever to reply with a disinterested "no, we don't have it...check in a few days...)

Sidebar for Barnes and Noble: by paying attention at a number of stores in various cities to the terrible service, the random merchandising, the lackadaisical and poorly-informed staff, the lack of enough check-out staff, and the lack of depth of their stock, I find it easy to understand why they are closing stores.