Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Buckingham leaves Fleetwood Mac

Lindsey Buckingham leaves Fleetwood Mac

Link

Rolling Stone is reporting that he was fired over disagreements about touring, but I can't get the link to work. Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are set to replace Lindsey.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Neil Finn?? Interesting. I like Lindsey, but not nearly as much as Bob, Danny or Peter, although he certainly is a good player. Wonder if they'd do a new album with Neil? Don't know a whole lot about the Buckingham/Nicks era. Prior incarnations I love.

No Lindsey, no Yes...err, Fleetwood Mac.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Thought he left more than a decade ago

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    No Lindsey, no Yes...err, Fleetwood Mac.
    Yep. I saw what Fleetwood Mac had to offer after Lindsey's departure in the late 80s -- no thanks! On that note, bring on the Buck! This paves way for more solo releases and tours. I'd rather see Lindsey in smaller venues (such as House Of Blues) rather than in large arenas!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yep. I saw what Fleetwood Mac had to offer after Lindsey's departure in the late 80s -- no thanks! On that note, bring on the Buck! This paves way for more solo releases and tours. I'd rather see Lindsey in smaller venues (such as House Of Blues) rather than in large arenas!
    Exactly what I was thinking. Without Lindsey I have much less interest in the upcoming tour (which I had planned to try to attend). Here's hoping he does more solo tours, but this kind of sucks all the way around.

Somehow, Lindsey Buckingham in or out of Fleetwood Mac for yet another "Geezers Farting Dust" tour and charging $300 per seat leaves me unsurprisingly non-enthusiastic. Now, if Mick Fleetwood and John McVie hooked up with Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer again -- now, that would be something to see.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MrXindeed View Post
    Left 1988, came back 1997 or thereabouts.

So does this mean him and Stevie Nicks are breaking up too?....

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Somehow, Lindsey Buckingham in or out of Fleetwood Mac for yet another "Geezers Farting Dust" tour and charging $300 per seat
    Gives a whole new meaning to "Gold Dust Woman."

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Left 1988, came back 1997 or thereabouts.
    It was earlier than that, more like 94. As I recall, Bill Clinton used Don't Stop as his campaign theme, which sort of revamped Fleetwood Mac's "commercial viability", or whatever, and the led to the reunion of the Rumours/Tusk/Mirage/Tango In The Night era lineup. If I remember correctly, Stevie had also left the band too, but she also came back for the reunion.

When Lindsay first left the band in 88, I believe ont hat occasion they also got two guitarists to replace him. Id on't know why I know this, but it was Rick Vito and Billy Burnette. Vito was a studio guitarist who played on a lot of people's records (that's him playing that great slide solo on Bob Seger's Like A Rock) and Burnette was a vocalist/guitarist whose father and uncle recorded the original version of Train Kept A'Rollin'. I think it's Billy's guitar that bursts into flames and lands on the piano in Christine's Love Will Show Us How video, from her mid 80's solo album (the video hilariously lampooned all the stupid stuff you see in music videos, with character actor Paul Bartel playing a pretentious music video director who tells Christine to "trust his vision", and of course every mishap that can happen during the making of a music video, manages to happen).

I remember at the time, a big deal was made of the fact that they overhauled the setlist for that tour, bringing back songs that hadn't been played since before Lindsay and Stevie originally joined the band. But I gather that went away pretty quickly. Eventually, there was an early 90's configuration that had Becka Bramlett and Dave Mason, I think, that I thikn sort of represented the nadir of the band's existence.

Edit: I guess the full on reunion didn't really happen until more like 97. They played at Clinton's inaugural ball in 93, but they said "We're not doing that again", until 96 or 97, when they did that big concert video, and went on tour for like 3 years, then made an album (accompanied by a documentary full of Lindsay and Stevie arguing wtih each other), etc, etc.

I always meant to get Lindsay's first two solo albums. I remember liking the songs Trouble and Go Insane (heard the latter at a restaurant recently).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-09-2018 at 10:15 PM.

I've seen Buckingham twice in smallish clubs where you can really see his amazing guitar work up close. In addition to hearing his solo stuff as well as his classic FM tunes, the highlight of his solo shows is seeing him play the amazing solo in Big Love.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I've seen Buckingham twice in smallish clubs where you can really see his amazing guitar work up close. In addition to hearing his solo stuff as well as his classic FM tunes, the highlight of his solo shows is seeing him play the amazing solo in Big Love.
    I have posted this before, but a few years ago I got to see him solo in a 400 seat theater. It was amazing and probably ranks up with my best shows of all time. It was just him, his guitars, and some backing tracks (no band) in kind of a "storytellers" type of format. It was really something special.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    When Lindsay first left the band in 88, I believe ont hat occasion they also got two guitarists to replace him. Id on't know why I know this, but it was Rick Vito and Billy Burnette. Vito was a studio guitarist who played on a lot of people's records (that's him playing that great slide solo on Bob Seger's Like A Rock) and Burnette was a vocalist/guitarist whose father and uncle recorded the original version of Train Kept A'Rollin'.
    Billy is also the cousin of Rocky Burnette, he of that big 1980 hit “Tired of toein the line”.

Turns out it was actually Billy who broke this news that Buckingham was let go when he posted an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in. “

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Billy is also the cousin of Rocky Burnette, he of that big 1980 hit “Tired of toein the line”.
    I forgot about Rocky. I remember MTV used to play Tired Of Toein' The Line on Closet Classics, towards the end of it's existence. Goofy video, with models dressed in lycra jumpsuits pretending to play instruments they obviously didn't actually play (this was how many years before Addicted To Love), and Rocky himself dressed as a fireman who gets hosed, literally.

Buckingham is a genius, but what a coup for Mick Fleetwood to tap Neil Finn (as well as Mike Campbell) as his replacement. As a longtime Finn fan who believes he's arguably the best songwriter ever, really excited that more audiences here in the US will be exposed to him. It's interesting listening to hosts and callers on SiriusXM Volume station kinda dismiss Finn a bit. Feel like they are in for a huge surprise when they finally get to hear him sing, play guitar and perform. Will be a real treat to hear him singing with McVie and Stevie Nicks.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caffrey View Post
    Buckingham is a genius, but what a coup for Mick Fleetwood to tap Neil Finn (as well as Mike Campbell) as his replacement. As a longtime Finn fan who believes he's arguably the best songwriter ever, really excited that more audiences here in the US will be exposed to him. It's interesting listening to hosts and callers on SiriusXM Volume station kinda dismiss Finn a bit. Feel like they are in for a huge surprise when they finally get to hear him sing, play guitar and perform. Will be a real treat to hear him singing with McVie and Stevie Nicks.

Kevin
    Definitely a great get, but they're really alienating fans over this, from what I've seen. It will be interesting to see how ticket sales go.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Definitely a great get, but they're really alienating fans over this, from what I've seen. It will be interesting to see how ticket sales go.
    That's true, but FM -- like some other band I know -- has been through so many line up changes...I would assume most of their fans will at the very least give this a shot. Especially since Campbell has a pretty strong connection to Nicks. You can't replace Buckingham -- but adding Finn & Campbell in a way just makes this a very different version that undoubtedly is going to sound great.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caffrey View Post
    That's true, but FM -- like some other band I know -- has been through so many line up changes...I would assume most of their fans will at the very least give this a shot. Especially since Campbell has a pretty strong connection to Nicks. You can't replace Buckingham -- but adding Finn & Campbell in a way just makes this a very different version that undoubtedly is going to sound great.

Kevin
    I completely agree, but I'm only a casual fan. As we've seen from that other band that we both know, the die-hards are often very irrational.

A good article on the perpetual dysfunction that is Fleetwood Mac:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ingham-w518935

I contend Yes is just as fucked up, but with less cocaine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I completely agree, but I'm only a casual fan. As we've seen from that other band that we both know, the die-hards are often very irrational.
    I wouldn't call myself a die-hard Mac fan, but I am a huge Buckingham fan. This lineup that is announced has no interest to me because I would be attending a Fleetwood Mac show to see the classic lineup together, and that must have Buckingham for me. As I said previously, this is better news to me because I will get Buckingham in smaller venues with a solo album sooner than later. However, this opens up the question about what approach Buckingham & FM will take with regards to future live shows. Buckingham's backing band contains performers of bass/keys/guitar that are also part of the FM touring entourage. Lindsey could go out as a one-man show as he has done at times before. Fleetwood Mac could fire the musicians who do double duty with both artists. Who knows...

The ironic thing about Neil Finn replacing Buckingham is that 41 years ago, just as Rumours was coming out, Finn replaced Phil Judd — a songwriter/mandolinist with a similarly warped cleverness as Buckingham — in Split Enz. Compare the Judd-era Enz work (Mental Notes, Second Thoughts) to the Go Insane album, or the Swingers work to Buckingham's Tusk contributions, to hear some of the similarities.

Double irony: In the Split Enz bio Stranger Than Fiction by ex-bassist Mike Chunn, it's recalled that Stevie Nicks didn't take kindly to Neil Finn when Split Enz toured the states with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in 1981. She appeared at some of the dates on that tour to sing her duet with Petty. Apparently, Finn had been walking around with a video camera backstage and Nicks ordered her guards to keep him away from her, or something to that effect.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXindeed View Post
    he did. he's been in and out of the band so frequently that his name is in pencil on the liner notes...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    he did. he's been in and out of the band so frequently that his name is in pencil on the liner notes...
    Lindsey left Fleetwood Mac in 1988. When were the other times that you are referring to?

let's face it, Fleetwood Mac's most successful years were with Lindsey Buckingham!