Thread: David Bowie Statue Unveiled in Aylesbury

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

David Bowie Statue Unveiled in Aylesbury

What's supposedly the first statue ever of David Bowie was unveiled this weekend in Aylesbury, England. I'm not sure if Bowie has any connection to Aylesbury, but a fan who lives there raised the money. There was a concert with Marillion. Howard Jones. and John Otway, all from Aylesbury (Marillion originated in Aylesbury although the guys aren't all from there). IMO the statue is a bit horrendous looking, a single figure of Bowie standing against the wall might have been better, but I guess this captures more of Bowie's many looks. It's better than the scary Lucille Ball statue anyway! (Google it!)

And here's video of Marillion, Howard Jones, Robin Boult (frequent Fish guitarist), and a guy from a Bowie cover band doing "Heroes." h is quite good, IMO, and Rothery. Not sure if the mic just didn't like Howard Jones or if his voice is gone or what:

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's better than the scary Lucille Ball statue anyway! (Google it!)
    Good lord, you ain't kidding! I just looked that up, and you're right.

What the heck happened?

Oh, here y'all go! I guess bronze is a difficult medium. It actually looks more like David Bowie than Lucille Ball, but more than anything it looks like a demon from hell. Or maybe if Martin Sheen had serious reconstructive facial surgery.

Where the hell did they get that hairstyle that was never worn by Lucy?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

And...it’s immediately been vandalized. Morons.

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/2...andalised/amp/

Oh, here y'all go! I guess bronze is a difficult medium. It actually looks more like David Bowie than Lucille Ball, but more than anything it looks like a demon from hell. Or maybe if Martin Sheen had serious reconstructive facial surgery.

WTF? That's surely modelled on Alan Tracy from Thunderbirds....

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    WTF? That's surely modelled on Alan Tracy from Thunderbirds....
    I think the artist gave some kind of excuse redid the statue, but this version will live on on the internet!

As you see I posted above, the Bowie statue was immediately vandalized, which sucks. But the more I look at the statue, the more dismayed I am that that design was approved. It really is sort of a monstrosity. There’s too much crammed in to one piece.

BTW, maybe this thread should be on the OT page, so if a mod wants to move it, that’s fine.

And pigeons all over England are rejoicing!

I'd call it pointless, gross, mundane, irrelevant and entirely at odds with Bowie's legacy as an artist. To describe it as an aesthetic disaster would be dignifying it with too much significance.

I can only think that Bowie, a connoisseur of the visual arts, would have passed by it swiftly and with a wince.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

And...it’s immediately been vandalized. Morons.

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/2...andalised/amp/
    "The only thing we're using is soft cloth, fairy liquid and hot water."

(Fairy liquid = dishwashing soap.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Steve Hogarth's commentary on the vandalism:

https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/m...lism-1-8434193

Marillion lead singer responds to Bowie statue vandalism

Steve Hogarth, who is the front man for the aylesbury band, said: " It’s with a heavy heart and despair I hear that within 48 hours someone has defaced Andrew Sinclair's breathtaking David Bowie double-statue.

"Apparently it’s been vandalised with spray-paint. Such a shame. Hopefully it can be cleaned up and I guess they’ll have to resort to CCTV or, worse, some sort of barrier. Sigh.

"When I pulled the cord to unveil the memorial on Sunday morning I was knocked out by it. Andrew has really caught the essence of David Bowie as a human being, as well as a phenomenal chameleon of a stage performer.

"Hopefully this is just a glitch and this fabulous work of art will give people a reason to come to Aylesbury for many years to come.

"It’s worth the trip."

A couple of interesting notes from a BBC article:

"Speakers mounted above the life-size piece play a Bowie song from a wide selection every hour."

Music promoter David Stopps, the man behind the artwork, said: "We can get that paint off, we will be working on it today.

"It is a public piece of art and we will keep looking after it on a daily basis.

"There is a webcam on it 24/7 so whoever did it, we have got them on webcam."

Hopefully they'll out the mother-f'er(s) and they will be shamed.

The real star of that performance is Trevawas (or however you spell his bloody last name).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

And here's video of Marillion, Howard Jones, Robin Boult (frequent Fish guitarist), and a guy from a Bowie cover band doing "Heroes." h is quite good, IMO, and Rothery. Not sure if the mic just didn't like Howard Jones or if his voice is gone or what:
    Jones looks a bit confused about where he is and what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    "Who am I and what am I famous for?"

I couldn't really remember - kept thinking it was "The Safety Dance," but it was "What Is Love?"

...martha quinn...jj jackson...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-27-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Give him a break. You can tell by looking at his hair that he just woke up.

Whoever it looks like, it has now been vandalised

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Whoever it looks like, it has now been vandalised
    Not sure you've read this thread carefully. We've been discussing two statues, one of Bowie, one of Lucille Ball. The vandalization of the Bowie one has been mentioned a couple of times above. The Lucille Ball statue is the one that looks very f-d up. I know it's a strange thread...

Not sure you've read this thread carefully. We've been discussing two statues, one of Bowie, one of Lucille Ball. The vandalization of the Bowie one has been mentioned a couple of times above. The Lucille Ball statue is the one that looks very f-d up. I know it's a strange thread...
    Come to think of it, the Lucille Ball statue looks at least as much like Bowie as it does like Lucille Ball.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Another vid with better, fuller sound. This was starts a little sooner but sadly still misses the top of the song.

(Also, Robin Boult playing with Marillion. That's kinda cool.)

Who's Lucille Ball? Never heard of her...

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Who's Lucille Ball? Never heard of her...
    A little slow on the uptake there. There's a big difference between Lucy and Adele.

Glad I’m not the only one whose first thought on seeing the Bowie statue was Scary Lucy. Umm...great minds think alike? *shrug*
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Glad I’m not the only one whose first thought on seeing the Bowie statue was Scary Lucy. Umm...great minds think alike? *shrug*
    Word up, my friend!