Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant Reunion In The Works?

Gentle Giant Reunion In The Works?

DY30A-SXUAAmHnS.jpgDY30A-SXUAAmHnS.jpg

Kerry, Derek and Ray say they've got "something BIG and HEAVY" planned for late 2018/early 2019.

(From Derek's Twitter account.)
    The Prog Corner

Probably the big box set that was brought up last year.

My breath. I am not holding it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    That would be my guess too.

Yes there is Derek licking his chops!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

In a recent interview from a German Magazine Derek absolutly denied any chance for a reunion.

has there been any news on gary green since his heart attack? presumably just the box but nice to see em together.

From Leonardo Pavkovic's FB page: [Leonardo was a business partner with Derek for many years, so he ain't just spouting off b.s. here]

"One of my best friends for many years and one of my all time favorite people, Derek Shulman, is in London, and met Kerry Minnear and his brother Ray Shulman for some highly quality Gentle time. Gentle Giant ‘camp’ will announce soon something very very special and very big! But don’t hold your breath! The Gentle Geezers will not reunite for any show whatsoever! It’s more probable than the pope will marry and become atheist than seeing a Gentle Giant reunion! (Except reuniting for a photo!!) - Expect a big fat news soon!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It’s more probable than the pope will marry and become atheist than seeing a Gentle Giant reunion! (Except reuniting for a photo!!)
    So you're saying there's a chance.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I eagerly await the Genesis-Gentle Giant joint reunion tour!

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    I eagerly await the Genesis-Gentle Giant joint reunion tour!
    Well at least they wouldn't have to exhume bodies YET.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^^^ Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Not many classic-era prog bands with all key members still drawing breath. Sad but true.

I hope it's more than another barrel scrape.

Count me as one person who think GG did the right thing by quitting while they were ahead (more or less) and NEVER do the nostalgia thing. I have great respect for them for doing that. Of course, had they been as big as Yes or Genesis maybe they would have had a harder time avoiding the lure of more money, but they probably know that even though they might be able to do a couple decent size sold out shows to hardcore fans, they probably wouldn't stand to make much off a reunion tour or show. I'm reasonably certain though, that money has little to do with it in their case (particularly Derek and Ray, who have made WAY more money since GG than they did during GG).

Whatever the reason, it's nice to have one band that isn't willing to be a parody of themselves in old age by reuniting (yes, I have seen Three Friends and it was awesome......but it was more like a GG cover band with a couple of members)

▲completeley agreed .Being a huge fan and having seen them in the 70s I hope in a quite selfish way that they will never do a reunion tour.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    (particularly Derek and Ray, who have made WAY more money since GG than they did during ...
    Why is that? I am ignorant on their whereabouts after the GG end.

Btw, I fully agree with what you say.

Following his recording career, Derek Shulman became a prominent record executive.[1] Starting as an A&R representative at PolyGram Records, where he rose to the ranks of senior vice president, he signed Bon Jovi, Dan Reed Network, Cinderella, Kingdom Come, and Enuff Z'nuff among many others. In 1988, he became president and CEO of Atco Records, where his first signing was blues rock band Tangier, followed by progressive metal band Dream Theater and Pantera. He also re-established the careers of AC/DC and Bad Company, both of whom sold multi-platinum albums under his watch. He then went on to become president of Roadrunner Records overseeing signings like Slipknot and Nickelback. In March 2010, Shulman established a new venture with international music impresario Leonardo Pavkovic called 2PLUS Music & Entertainment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Shulman

Ray Shulman was in Gentle Giant from the beginning in 1970 to the last tour in 1980. He would go on to become a record producer in the late 1980s and 1990s, working with The Sugarcubes, The Sundays and Ian McCulloch among others. He also has created music for several video games, such as Privateer 2 and Azrael's Tear and released two trance-EP:s under pseudonym Head-Doctor.[2]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Shulman

Banned
    As an avid GG fan since around 1976 I say they never will re-unite and they never should reunite. Anyway John would not be able to do it due to his health in any event.

GIANT in the Box? It would be nice to hear some GG live played by someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I spaced out and totally forgot about that...

Damn!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Following his recording career, Derek Shulman became a prominent record executive.[1] Starting as an A&R representative at PolyGram Records, where he rose to the ranks of senior vice president, he signed Bon Jovi, Dan Reed Network, Cinderella, Kingdom Come, and Enuff Z'nuff among many others. In 1988, he became president and CEO of Atco Records, where his first signing was blues rock band Tangier, followed by progressive metal band Dream Theater and Pantera. He also re-established the careers of AC/DC and Bad Company, both of whom sold multi-platinum albums under his watch. He then went on to become president of Roadrunner Records overseeing signings like Slipknot and Nickelback. In March 2010, Shulman established a new venture with international music impresario Leonardo Pavkovic called 2PLUS Music & Entertainment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Shulman

Ray Shulman was in Gentle Giant from the beginning in 1970 to the last tour in 1980. He would go on to become a record producer in the late 1980s and 1990s, working with The Sugarcubes, The Sundays and Ian McCulloch among others. He also has created music for several video games, such as Privateer 2 and Azrael's Tear and released two trance-EP:s under pseudonym Head-Doctor.[2]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Shulman
    Ray works with DVD Authoring and made many important Prog Rock titles, including Genesis.
    http://spectrumculture.com/2014/08/1...-gentle-giant/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    As an avid GG fan since around 1976 I say they never will re-unite and they never should reunite. Anyway John would not be able to do it due to his health in any event.
    You're full o' shit Bubbhabreath! If they are inspired to go back into the studio and make some new music I'm all for it! Hell, Kerry's bits for the DVDs alone are damn fine. Stupid git!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Kerry, Derek and Ray say they've got "something BIG and HEAVY" planned for late 2018/early 2019.

(From Derek's Twitter account.)
    Its probably just a Hologram tour with actual super huge cranes and excavating equipment on stage. That's my guess at least.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    You're full o' shit Bubbhabreath! If they are inspired to go back into the studio and make some new music I'm all for it! Hell, Kerry's bits for the DVDs alone are damn fine. Stupid git!
    Well the last thing they'd do is go into the studio and make some new music. Complete waste of time and money. Their only move would be to rehearse, rehearse, rehearse and play a couple of shows on both sides of the pond. They'd sell out 1500 - 2000 seat capacity venues; many fans would go to multiple shows (even Buddhabreath and the other naysayers here). Merch would fly off the shelves too, guarantee the XL and XXL shirts would be gone in minutes. They'd make a nice profit in a shorter amount of time while not disrupting their lives too much. Derek has stated too many times over too many years that he wouldn't sing again for it to happen though. Something along the lines of he wouldn't want to embarrass himself/be a shell of the singer he once was.

But he's still alive and I will be wherever it happens should it happens. And I'm sure he/they will just sound fine. They were great live back then. I'll always have my memories of their shows and know they wont do it again if it wasn't gonna be great again.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Billy Sherwood's Gentle Giant.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!