Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Bruford - One of a Kind

FEATURED ALBUM: Bruford - One of a Kind

Thoughts on this classic from 1979? I have always sort of seen these albums as relatives or companion pieces (of a sort) of the UK albums. But then there are some National Health style moments that also make the album stand out.

Review from ProgArchives:
    I can't tell you how relieved I am to know that there are others out there in Progville who enjoy this album as much as I do. When it came out in 1979 most of my friends (early Yes fans included) dismissed it without even giving it a listen even though I assured them that it never got "noisy." But then they didn't appreciate jazz rock-fusion like I did, either. Oh, well. Their loss. Back to the album. It's the only offering we got from this particular lineup of incredible musicians so it is definitely "One of a Kind."

The first cut, "Hell's Bells" (no, not the AC/DC romp) gives the listeners a fine sample of what is in store for us for the next 45 minutes. The lively song is very up front and immediate sounding and takes us through many changes, thereby avoiding becoming tiresome or formulaic. "One of a Kind," more than any other tune, reveals their respectable Return to Forever influence without ever crossing the line into copying them. There is even a xylophone playing along to add some flavor. "Pt. 2" features Bill Bruford's crisp and individualistic angularity on the drums. "Travels with Myself and Someone Else" starts out beautifully with Dave Stewart on piano and some steel guitar from Allan Holdsworth. (Yes, steel guitar on a jazz album!). It's also the first time Jeff Berlin gets to step out front and display his mastery of the fretless bass. The guy is a monster. "Fainting in Coils" is probably the most complex of all the songs with its odd, constantly changing time signatures and exhilarating accents. It travels down some intriguing roads, including one that uses finger snaps for percussion. "Five G" is my favorite because the whole group bristles right along, driving way over the posted speed limit. Berlin and Bruford lay down a hyper funky feel that's tighter than a rusted lug nut while Allan shows off his amazing guitar stylizations. Holdsworth's "The Abington Chasp" is next and it features some great harmony guitar lines and allows Bruford to shine discretely towards the end. "Forever Until Sunday" is a slow, delicate piece that features a soulful violin. It's an unaccredited performance so I don't know if it's a real violin or an excellent keyboard imitation but it lends a gorgeous tone to the song. Like other tunes on this album, it doesn't stay still for long and soon turns up the tempo and introduces a rocking guitar riff before settling down once more. "The Sahara of Snow" has a mysterious, atmospheric beginning that quickly morphs into a busy, industrious urban spirit that once again utilizes the xylophone sound. "Pt. 2" changes to more of a rock walking march and takes us to the final note.

It's worth mentioning that Bill Bruford wrote or co-wrote eight of the ten songs, showing that he is much more than an exceptional stick man. If you like progressive instrumental music that doesn't get itself bogged down in over-long virtuoso posturing then this is for you. I can promise you this. It's never boring or predictable and the musicianship is phenomenal from beginning to end. - chicapah

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I still like it well enough, 'though I far prefer Feels Good to Me. And Dave S.'s input here actually sounds more dated than his earlier works, strangely so.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love this album, but I also prefer Feels Good to Me, which is a bit more eclectic and edgy, imo. But there's tons of good stuff on Feels Good to Me, and I prefer Holdsworth on this album to his work on Feels Good to Me, he seems to fit in better here. I'll dig this one out for a fresh spin, it's been a while. But it's been one I've loved since back in the day.

Bill

Nowadays I also prefer Feels Good To Me, but this is still a beast of a record. It's fortunate in some ways the the first UK dissolved when it did, because I wouldn't have wanted this material to either end up on the followup UK album, or to have been delayed and not come out the same way at a later date.

The boxed set rekindled my love for the Bruford band... in recent years I've been so much more into Earthworks (who I love, especially post-the first two albums) that it was a treat to go back and hear the 'proggier' side of Broof.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I also prefer Feels Good to Me, which is a bit more eclectic and edgy, imo.
    Many years ago I had an academic protegé who came over for drinks and wanted me to play some "slick fusion" for him. I started with this one, but he found it superbly uncool - so I switched to "Back To the Beginning" and Annette's voice there - and both him and his girlfriend absolutely loved it. I was barely commencing on my trip towards eternal hipdom by discovering the chill effect of spit. Holdsworth's licks beneath those vocal remedies sonores in a licky-dicky tick fit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I still like it well enough, 'though I far prefer Feels Good to Me. And Dave S.'s input here actually sounds more dated than his earlier works, strangely so.
    I would agree to an extent - I'm not a big fan of the polyphonic synths he began using at that point (Polymoog & Prophet 5), but there's still a fair amount of Minimoog, Hammond organ, Rhodes and acoustic piano to keep me happy. Otherwise, an incredible album, and good that it's all-instrumental, as - not being hip or cool - I'm not a huge fan of Annette Peacock's singing.

Where the keyboards really have dated for me is on the next album, "Gradually Going Tornado". I enjoy the acoustic piano on "Palewell Park" and the Rhodes on "QED" as a welcome respite from the overdose of Prophet 5.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I would agree to an extent - I'm not a big fan of the polyphonic synths he began using at that point (Polymoog & Prophet 5), but there's still a fair amount of Minimoog, Hammond organ, Rhodes and acoustic piano to keep me happy. Otherwise, an incredible album, and good that it's all-instrumental, as - not being hip or cool - I'm not a huge fan of Annette Peacock's singing.

Where the keyboards really have dated for me is on the next album, "Gradually Going Tornado". I enjoy the acoustic piano on "Palewell Park" and the Rhodes on "QED" as a welcome respite from the overdose of Prophet 5.
    Excellent album !
    But yes, his keyboard chords tends to get somewhat cheasy at times on both One of a Kind and Gradually. The individual instruments could also stand out a little better too, productionwise.

If I had to limit my albums to 25 on the way to a desert island, this one would make the cut!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You can’t get much better than this.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    You can’t get much better than this.
    I couldn't say it better. This is one of my top probably 20 albums of all time. I never get tired of it. Not a bad track on it. I prefer it to Feels Good To Me myself only because I find it to be more consistent.

Love OoaK and agree that it could be a companion album to the U.K. debut. Since I've been re-visiting all the Bruford band material with the box set I've been re-evaluating a bit. For years I thought I enjoyed them most to least in the order OoaK/FGtM/GGT, but I'm not so sure anymore, and I can't say definitively that GGT is always on the bottom of the list. Biggest revelation for me has been a deeper appreciation of Dave Stewart; individual sound choices notwithstanding, he really comes off a an advanced colorist worthy of being mentioned in the same conversations that include Jobson and Zawinul.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

My number 1 favorite prog-fusion album , killer with no filler.

I also love FGTM but, OOAK sounds more like a live band with stronger tunes.

I adore the keys on this, all analog, no digi ! What's not to like?

Never warmed up to GGT.

That's the one with some cheez!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I dig it, but am even more of a Feels Good to Me fan. I like Gradually Going Tornado as well, but not nearly as much as the first two. I'll take either of those two over either UK album as well. There is some cool stuff from UK, but some stuff that is "cheesy" for me. Especially on Danger Money. Pretty much love the first Bruford album, though. I liked it immediately upon my first listen.

I saw Earthworks do and acoustic version of Beelzebub with Tim Garland on bass clarinet (one of my favorite instruments ever!). It was quite groovy.

Absolutely love One of a Kind, every track has at least something that captures my interest. Cheesy polysynths and all.

I was never a fan of Annette Peacock’s singing though. She’s a lovely lady, but I couldn’t get past her voice when listening to Feels Good to Me. But... maybe one day it will click for me.

The eons are closing
    Top 20 all time fave of mine. Adore this album.

Other Bruford albums, while good, wouldn't make my top 100.

This album was a real influence on me both compositionally and in keyboard playing style.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Seems impossible to discuss 1oaK without dragging in FGtM, and vice versa.

For my own part, I think the second album is solider but doesn't have anything to match up to the best parts of Feels Good to Me -- there's nothing as atmospheric as "Either End of August" or as cool as "Sample and Hold". 90% of the time, though, I think of Peacock's singing as a negative. Sometimes I can catch myself in the right mood for a whole album of her, but more often I am reaching for skip by the middle of "Back to the Beginning". Whereas every time I launch One of a Kind, I enjoy it. The gold standard of progressive fusion, right through to the end.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Regarding the violin, iirc the remastered version credits Eddie Jobson.

Fabulous album, an evergreen classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    You're remembered it well.

I really love One Of A Kind and for me the highlight is Fainting In Coils and Holdsworth end-solo in The Sahara Of Snow - Part Two.
    But I'm also one of those who has Feels Good To Me a few places higher in their top 20, especially because of its excentricity and rhythmic greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Since they played that song on the first UK tour I assumed Eddie was on that track figuring it was recorded as a possible song for the second UK album maybe on the same sessions as the first album.

A thoroughbred album comprised of succinct songs played and composed by individually distinctive musicians in wholesome collaboration. A tad too clinically correct in British excellence. I prefer this to "Going Tornado," but Tornado has a funky edge to it that I find appealing.

One of a Kind is all killer no filler from beginning to end. Not a duff note. There are fusion albums out there that may be more exciting or more inspired. But in terms of composition and arrangement, I'm not sure there are any that are better than this. I even love the synths!

I also love the fact that Holdsworth is such a great team player on One of a Kind. I love the guy even when he is the sole focus of attention but here he weaves his magic seamlessly into the whole. Every damn note of his has to be there. And he clearly knows not to overplay.

Feels Good is of course great, too, but it is less unified and seamless. If I had to take only one fusion album to a desert island it would be One of a Kind.

Chicapah (Rollie Anderson) writes some of the best and most entertaining reviews , IMHO

Good album, btw.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The first two Bruford albums might be my two favorite fusion LP's.

Not my usual cup of tea but One Of A Kind is magnificent.
    The Prog Corner

If someone could point me to another album that's as good as One of A Kind I'd love to hear it but maybe the clue is indeed in the title.