Page 31 of 125 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Raiders will have 2 first rounders next draft so one of those + another pick could be bundled up to move up a few spots if that right player is still on the board.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sid Luckman?
    Right. It must kill Bears fans to look at their rivals and see two back-to-back HOF QBs (future HOFer Rodgers and Favre) and know that, in their entire history, they've only ever had the one and none of their other QBs are even close enough to get a sniff of the Hall.

I mean, unless Jay Cutler gets elected . . .
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

And Vic, Gruden was TRADED to Tampa. He didn't leave of his own accord..
    Yep, you are right on that. I'd forgotten that. I remember rooting for Gruden and Tampa because of that, but mainly because he was facing the team that got rid of him. I've never been a fan of Tampa Bay, but I still hated the Raiders at the time.

Just noticed we play Oakland in week 3, in Miami. Seems like the Raiders always come here whenever they play us.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Right. It must kill Bears fans to look at their rivals and see two back-to-back HOF QBs (future HOFer Rodgers and Favre) and know that, in their entire history, they've only ever had the one and none of their other QBs are even close enough to get a sniff of the Hall.

I mean, unless Jay Cutler gets elected . . .
    Thing is, once you get past Luckman, Cutler has easily been one of their better QBs. I mean, it's almost without question.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Thing is, once you get past Luckman, Cutler has easily been one of their better QBs. I mean, it's almost without question.
    And that ain't good. So, like I says, Bears have been historically not been built around QBs, but defense and RBs. That's kind of how they do it, so this trade makes sense for them. But Oakland definitely wins the trade.

But Oakland definitely wins the trade.
    Time will tell. The National Media doesn't agree with you, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Time will tell. The National Media doesn't agree with you, fwiw.
    Every position is fungible besides QB (unless, apparently, you’re the Eagles). This doesn’t mean there aren’t stars and impactful players at other positions, but there is no position more important than QB. You draft around that. Build a line, find targets and draft or mold pass rushers—but you need a QB. The LV Raiders have draft options; they lost a pass rusher.

Every position is fungible besides QB (unless, apparently, you’re the Eagles). This doesn’t mean there aren’t stars and impactful players at other positions, but there is no position more important than QB. You draft around that. Build a line, find targets and draft or mold pass rushers—but you need a QB. The LV Raiders have draft options; they lost a pass rusher.
    You may prove to be right. But this article gives a good feel for how it's playing nationally:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...fl-cutdown-day

Especially the section entitled An awful day with big surprises for the Oakland Raiders

And are you saying that Chucky thinks he still needs a quarterback and made the trade in order to acquire more draft capital to pursue one?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I suppose it depends if they hit with those picks. Personally, I never understood the trade your best player away strategy, but at least when they are old it makes a little bit of sense. This isn't the case with Mack. I haven't seen the final details of the trade (all I hear is two first rounders) but I'd give the win to Chicago now. If Oakland lands two hall of famers with these picks, then I'll change my opinion. (I suppose if Chi-town crashes and burns these next two years and Oakland winds up with top 5 picks both years then I might also re-evaluate. But as Cleveland can attest just having high draft picks means nothing if you whiff.)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Actually, Gruden played it smart. The Raiders will be leaving Oakland for Las Vegas as early as next year. The Raiders have already thrown Oakland under the bus, why have a mediocre team with Mack on it, when you can lose in Oakland and guarantee fans in the seats in Nevada? What better way to pump up Las Vegas than 2 straight years of two 1st round draft picks. Plus, Mack's $14 million salary from this year gets added to the available cap in 2019. So, in 2019 the Raiders have an extra 1st rounder, an extra 6th rounder and an extra $14 mill in cap.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

And are you saying that Chucky thinks he still needs a quarterback and made the trade in order to acquire more draft capital to pursue one?
    No, I think Carr has probably proven he is their starter. Is he a top ten QB? Probably not, but he's at least in the top 15.

You're right, though, that this is playing out very poorly, and it seems to have pissed off a lot of the players.

Logically, though, was Mack the difference between the Raiders a good team with a shot at the playoffs or the Raiders viable SuperBowl contenders? No one is claiming that. How many linebackers/pass rushers really do make that kind of shift for their teams? Reggie White to Green Bay? Maybe LT in '86? Maybe?

Luke Kuechly is probably the best middle linebacker in the game, but he alone, obviously, is not enough to overcome an inconsistent QB, a weak running game and a second-tier offensive line. The (future) LV Raiders now are stocked with draft choices to find offensive linemen and RBs and a linebacker to replace Mack.

The 2018 Raiders Discussion Thread
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The 2018 Raiders Discussion Thread
    Best thread ever!

I have digested this move and I think the Raiders win. Chuckie will be there for the next decade. He needs to think long term. Mack would have played out his contract and moved on. The could not pay him. Now thet got a shitload of picks for him. They were 6-10 last year. If they win 7 this year then they're already better.

They were 6-10 last year. If they win 7 this year then they're already better.
    Reach for the stars!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Chuckle won't last 3 years. That's his window, 3 years. That's every head coach's window. Get it done in 3 years or you are fired buddy boy..........

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Chuckle won't last 3 years. That's his window, 3 years. That's every head coach's window.

Tell that to Melvin Lewis!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Chuckle won't last 3 years. That's his window, 3 years. That's every head coach's window. Get it done in 3 years or you are fired buddy boy..........
    He signed for 10 years. A lot of guaranteed money iirc. Mark Davis is in love with him.

He signed for 10 years. A lot of guaranteed money iirc. Mark Davis is in love with him.
    I doubt he'll be there ten years, unless he gets them the SB in the next few years. Even with success I just don't see him staying more than 5 years.

The Eagles will be starting the Super Bowl QB for Week 1. Their franchise QB will be (hopefully) healing from his ACL issues.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I doubt he'll be there ten years, unless he gets them the SB in the next few years. Even with success I just don't see him staying more than 5 years.
    I totally agree, Vic. Unless he totally turns that team around, I think 5 years is generous.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Want to know how your team is going to do this year? Well here it is folks:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...fantasy-stars#

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Brownies are going to do better than 30th place
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Three of the bottom four are from the AFC East. Without crunching the numbers I believe that, mathematically, at least one of them will end up being notably higher in the power rankings than ESPN has them here.

^^^
    The Pats have benefitted for years by being in the division with the weakest competition, which has made their path to the SB much easier. Weak division, easy division wins contributes to best record, home field advantage in playoffs etc., while other teams in more competitive divisions have to slug it out more, lose more games, means they don't get home field in playoffs as much.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-04-2018 at 11:58 PM.