Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    A game isn't degraded or elevated by who's calling the game.
    It's rarely elevated, but often degraded, IMO. There are very few who are good at calling a game anymore, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm always amazed at the vitriol directed at certain announcers. I mean, the color commentator's JOB is to fill in the air time after the play-by-play with analysis. If he just sat there silent it would kind of defeat the purpose. I obviously have my preferences for announcers and some are better than others, but I don't recall ever seething with hatred over an announcer doing a game. I do take issue with those few who have a clear bias and agenda that they use broadcasts to promote due to certain allegiances, which does compromise integrity. I've never heard that with Collingsworth.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.

I've never had a problem with Collinsworth. He played the game. He was a wide receiver. Mucho respect from me. You try playing in the NFL.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've never had a problem with Collinsworth. He played the game. He was a wide receiver. Mucho respect from me. You try playing in the NFL.
    Doesn't mean I have to like him as a talking head, he's awful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

True, but I don't think he's that bad. There have been worse.

It's hard as a Bucs fan to get excited by football returning. Jameis, the idiot "Let's eat the W" is gone for the first three games and our other "quarterback" is Ryan Fitzpatrick, who stinks. With the first three games against the Saints, Eagles and Steelers that's a easy 0-3 start which pretty much ruins the season.

Can we just move to the 2019 season?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

True, but I don't think he's that bad. There have been worse.
    Summerall and Madden in their decline were pretty horrific.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Of all my favorite football moments I don't think I can remember who called the games or what they said. I find most of them fairly innocuous and interchangeable. When I can, I mute the TV and listen to the radio coverage (provided there isn't too much latency twixt the two).

Of all my favorite football moments I don't think I can remember who called the games or what they said.
    That's what is supposed to happen. A good announcing team calls the action and gives you the information that is relevant and doesn't try to overdue it.
    A poor announcing team will always be remembered because they distract from the game.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The major failing of color commentators on sports broadcasts is their phobia of moments of silence. They feel a need to cram every moment with verbiage, which inevitably lends itself to inane twaddle.
    +1 !!

If a still picture tells a thousand words, what do HD video feeds tell us?

There are literally so many great moments in games big and small that need no words at all, yet NFL broadcasters to a fault need to tell us more.

Not a big NHL fan anymore but one of the few who Gets it is Doc Emrick. Please come to the NFL Doc!

Not that Collinsworth gets that one bit, but he annoys me less then most of the rest who constantly insult our intelligence. Volume off and music on loud during non-Giant games all the time these days...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Since today is the first full slate time to peak ahead...

Giants are once again impossible to figure out, but with a new coach and probable new star in Barkley hope springs eternal.

All I want to see is average OL play, and I think with our new left side of Solder and Hernandez that might happen. If it does then the offense really might be dynamic. The defense is a big question mark again, good against the run, but until proven otherwise,really awful in the passing game, with no pass rush. New defensive coach Bettcher is without our best rusher Vernon today, so he will have to be a wizard to get pressure.

On top of all that they are paper thin nearly everywhere, so injuries as always can sink this team easy.

The other dim news is the schedule is killer, the first five games alone are nearly evil- Jacksonville - at Dallas - at Houston - Saints - at Eagles.

Coming out of that 2 and 3 may be the best they can do, but who knows...

NFC seems to be the stronger conference by far, the NFC East alone seems really strong. I don't think any NFC team will top 12 wins. The Saints might really surprise everyone this year. Eagles look good, especially the D, and with Wentz due back soon, will be tough to handle. But the SB hangover and big target is real, though their schedule does not look as tough as the Giants.

AFC is Brady until proven otherwise. I suppose Sacksonville might prove today they can take that final step, but that will only prove they can beat a 3 win team, right? That defense is really scary though so I rate them above the others in the AFC like Pitt or KC.

Should be nice to legally wager from the comfort of my home state too...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I am feeling a Houston upset over New England today.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

We finished a drive with a TD. Shocked!

We finished a drive with a TD. Shocked!
    Miracles can happen!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    NFC seems to be the stronger conference by far, the NFC East alone seems really strong.
    The Eagles are the only good team in the NFC East. But their competition is definitely tough. The Rams, Vikings, Packers and Saints should all be very, very good this year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    +1 !!

If a still picture tells a thousand words, what do HD video feeds tell us?

There are literally so many great moments in games big and small that need no words at all, yet NFL broadcasters to a fault need to tell us more.
    Certainly, the color commentators rarely inform the experts among us. They're there for novices and average unannointed fans who aren't holding court. I give a little latitude to the color commentators for their enthusiasm as long as they aren't reduced to hyperbole and/or gushing. And I never liked 3-man booths because one of the commentators were usually reduced me-too-isms. The only 3-man booth that ever worked was the original MNF booth and that will never work today because no one is willing to be Howard Cosell and no one will ever be as cool as Don Merideth.

Don't forget Dennis Miller. A real class act. Ahead of his time............

Burp.....

My God I can't believe how long the Dolphins game has been delayed. They stopped the game because of lightning. It's been an hour already. Something serious must've happened.

My God I can't believe how long the Dolphins game has been delayed. They stopped the game because of lightning. It's been an hour already. Something serious must've happened.
    [Ed]like the NFL doesn't control lightning... right[/Ed]

No kidding?

[Ed]like the NFL doesn't control lightning... right[/Ed]
    Has the power gone out yet?

There were two games, either last year or the year before, where that happened in Tampa. One was against the Raiders, the one where the Raiders had 22 or so penalties and won the game(of course).

Living out here in the west I almost never get to see a Bucs game but these happened to be on the radio as I was delivering. I'd never heard of stopping a game because of weather before that.

I remember a Halloween, IIRC MNF game, at Chicago I believe against the Packers in the mid to late '90's. The weather was so horrible it was truly raining sideways and they played the whole game with neither team, basically, crossing the 50 yard line. Funny shots of the field and one half was torn up and the other half looked pristine, though just a bit wet.

I guess they treat lightning as a bigger threat than millions of gallons of water raining from the sky. That must have been a awful scene for the fans who probably couldn't have drank a beer as it would have been full of water and they likely froze their asses off.

This is what I mean about the Dolphins offense, Tannihill completes a lot of passes, but they are all behind (like way behind) the first down marker. I see this over and over and over and over........

We suck.

Loony, yes I remember when there was never a stoppage in football because of rain, but better safe than sorry. Florida has the most lightning fatalities in the country. They did the right thing in delaying.

Loony, yes I remember when there was never a stoppage in football because of rain, but better safe than sorry. Florida has the most lightning fatalities in the country. They did the right thing in delaying.
    Oh, not arguing at all. Just thought it was weird that after 41 years of watching football I had never heard of a stoppage in play because of weather.

Just seemed like after all the years of watching NFL Primetime and such that someone would have mentioned a delay in the game but I have no recollection of that happening.