Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seaprog (Seattle progressive festival) have announced their lineup...

Seaprog (Seattle progressive festival) have announced their lineup...

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Neat!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Both musically adventurous and with an eye to logistics (as in the leader of F.S.E. being one half of the Faun Fables etc.). Indeed a quite impressive 'underground/alternative' prog fest thingy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Phenomenal line-up. Kinda tempted.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Phenomenal line-up. Kinda tempted.

I mean, I actually know people I would be happy to see in Seattle....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This

I mean, I actually know people I would be happy to see in Seattle....
    My daughter lived there until recently.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"Seaprog is run by musicians, for musicians. There is no intent to make a profit. And probably not a chance, either."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Seaprog is run by musicians, for musicians. There is no intent to make a profit. And probably not a chance, either."

and it's entirely true.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It would almost be worth flying to Seattle just to see "Ocelot Omelet". LOL!

and it's entirely true.
    Yeah, that's not in doubt. Pretty disheartening though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Both musically adventurous and with an eye to logistics (as in the leader of F.S.E. being one half of the Faun Fables etc.). Indeed a quite impressive 'underground/alternative' prog fest thingy.
    Also, Cheer-Accident almost never tour the West Coast - it's far from their homes in Chicago, they're mostly unknown out here, and the jumps between cities are long. As far as I know, they've only done it once, and that was quite a few years ago. But they're long-time friends of the FSE boys, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been invited to go on the road out here with them, which would thus take care of a fair amount of the booking and other logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, that's not in doubt. Pretty disheartening though.
    Disheartening? I'll see you and raise you, friend....!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Also, Cheer-Accident almost never tour the West Coast - it's far from their homes in Chicago, they're mostly unknown out here, and the jumps between cities are long. As far as I know, they've only done it once, and that was quite a few years ago. But they're long-time friends of the FSE boys, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been invited to go on the road out here with them, which would thus take care of a fair amount of the booking and other logistics.
    It's a 'full tour' of the west coast [interpret that as you like]. Thymme announced it was happening this morning, but didn't specify where (he also announced album #19 will be released at the same time)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

There won't be many more than five or six true West Coast dates, because there aren't that many true West Coast cities: San Diego, LA area, Bay Area, Portland, and Seattle. Maybe Vancouver (visas and passports can be a hassle). Maybe Eugene, less likely Redding or Medford. Many of these are significant drives apart. But if a touring band gets as far west as Denver, then Salt Lake is only a (long) day from there, Boise another long day from there, Seattle or Portland yet another long day. And things are similar in the Southwest - in fact, some of the jumps are even shorter, although San Antonio to El Paso requires crossing a significant portion of Texas.

So a "'full tour' of the west coast" necessarily involves eight to a dozen other cities, even though most of those aren't on the West Coast or even near it.

I actually know some of those acts in the lineup! Wish I could afford a plane ticket to fly out there, but it's on the clear opposite end of the continent for me.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm flummoxed that I didn't know there was a prog Festival in Seattle. Since when? My wife loves to go to music festivals. I wonder if there is RV parking nearby

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm flummoxed that I didn't know there was a prog Festival in Seattle. Since when? My wife loves to go to music festivals. I wonder if there is RV parking nearby
    You'll definitely find previous threads about Seaprog here if you search for it. It does seem like this year their artist list has taken a leap up! But I've always been interested in the festival despite how far away from me it is. I forget, is recreational legal in Seattle?

All the homeless people in Seattle park their RVs all over, so you could just join them.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    All the homeless people in Seattle park their RVs all over, so you could just join them.
    Homeless people own RVs there? Now those are people I want to party with....
    In my neck of the woods, they use cardboard boxes under the highway overpasses....or in a van down by the river.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-02-2018 at 08:21 AM.

The homeless people here are often not complete down-and-outers, although we certainly have those. Rather, they're just poor people who can't afford housing (Portland and Seattle rents are high), but may have a regular job and some income. Their RVs are typically old clunkers that barely run, but will keep the rain off - and with the amount it rains here, that's important.

Weed is entirely legal in both Oregon and Washington.

he also announced album #19 will be released at the same time
    They're actually releasing yet another album as well?! Somehow I jumped to the conclusion that their scale of recording and consequent issue would decrease with the setbacks of their latests label commodity. Anyways, these are great news.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    a "'full tour' of the west coast" necessarily involves eight to a dozen other cities,
    For an ultra-quirky combo like Cheer-Accident, that's actually quite an achievement.

Other than that, it's nice to finally have a discussion on the living conditions of homeless folks here at PE.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    For an ultra-quirky combo like Cheer-Accident, that's actually quite an achievement.

Other than that, it's nice to finally have a discussion on the living conditions of homeless folks here at PE.
    There’s already a thread about people living in RVs!

I'm flummoxed that I didn't know there was a prog Festival in Seattle. Since when? My wife loves to go to music festivals.
    This is the fifth year for SeaProg. They debuted in 2013, returned in 2014 and 2015, took 2016 off and returned last year. This will be festival #5 -- quite an accomplishment!
    http://seaprogfest.org/welcome/faq.html

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This will be festival #5 -- quite an accomplishment!
    When scrolling through their roster across the run so far, I have to say that this is highly impressive. This festival truly emphasizes the music, with a most eclectic programme displaying practically all imaginable variations on the "prog" norm. Meaning that they're obviously also very conscious about inclusions and basically knowledgeable on the whole 'phenomenon' of the - uhm - genre.

In other words, not just yet another stereotypical "proggyprog" Exhibition, but something actually worth absorbing. More people should know about this endeavour.