Thread: Astounding review!

Astounding review!

I do disagree slightly with his take on 'Remembering Johannesburg'. I do find it impressive emotionally and compellingly satisfying.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I is confused. Fifth, are you Taylor?

I'm in...Is this another Pink Floyd thread?

Enjoying this album a lot

JKL2000: I AM Taylor!

To those of you, who have actually listened to this album: Do you find anything 'wrong' in doing, what I've done with this album: Being CRITICAL to my earliest attempts in utilizing the full potential of some older tunes, by RE-ARRANGING and RE-RECORDING them - with NEW musicians - delivering a fresh perspective to the stuff? I can't complaine, as almost all of the reviews, I have received, have been overwhelming positive - but still, there seem to be a few 'experts', who consider this concept as a way of 'cheating' the audience, by giving them something, that isn't NEW by all means (maybe they just can't tell the difference?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Element View Post
    there seem to be a few 'experts', who consider this concept as a way of 'cheating' the audience, by giving them something, that isn't NEW by all means (maybe they just can't tell the difference?)
    I'm reading a book (I'm at work, author's name eludes me) on John McLaughlin, where he repeatedly points out, as he goes from album to album, that JMcL has re-used, re-worked, and re-arranged his own compositions throughout his career, and not necessarily using the same names. If a new line-up wants to re-interpret their back-catalogue, it's fine by me. I've enjoyed the TU album, but did not notice the re-works. Because I had already heard it and enjoyed, I did not read the DPRP review in detail. I'll pay more attention in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Element View Post
    To those of you, who have actually listened to this album: Do you find anything 'wrong' in doing, what I've done with this album: Being CRITICAL to my earliest attempts in utilizing the full potential of some older tunes, by RE-ARRANGING and RE-RECORDING them - with NEW musicians - delivering a fresh perspective to the stuff? I can't complaine, as almost all of the reviews, I have received, have been overwhelming positive - but still, there seem to be a few 'experts', who consider this concept as a way of 'cheating' the audience, by giving them something, that isn't NEW by all means (maybe they just can't tell the difference?)
    I love the new album! Definitely in my 2017 top 5. In fact, IMO you have upped your game over the last 5 or 6 albums. Keep 'em coming.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I just discovered Taylor's Universe about a week ago. If this new one is representative of his work as a whole I think I might go broke...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I'm reading a book (I'm at work, author's name eludes me) on John McLaughlin, where he repeatedly points out, as he goes from album to album, that JMcL has re-used, re-worked, and re-arranged his own compositions throughout his career, and not necessarily using the same names. If a new line-up wants to re-interpret their back-catalogue, it's fine by me. I've enjoyed the TU album, but did not notice the re-works. Because I had already heard it and enjoyed, I did not read the DPRP review in detail. I'll pay more attention in future.
    Like: Binky's Beam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61mbGtv2U0 => Celestial Terrestrial Commuters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5XoNlcLEfw

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I just discovered Taylor's Universe about a week ago. If this new one is representative of his work as a whole I think I might go broke...
    I can't guarantee anything - but I have quite a back catalogue to go through... www.robinctaylor.com
    Thanks anyway!

ONE MORE TIME: This is as far as we went, creating a video from the recording of 'Almost Perfected' (I ran out of money)! We only got footage of drummer, Klaus Thrane, playing a few of his parts for the album (!) Hopefully, it will still give you an idea about what the album is about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7v_wDe6N6U