Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Rundgren's Utopia Tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any ideas on what the setlist might be?
    Not a clue. Going to be a complete surprise. Think about the choices they have.

Todd Rundgren's Utopia
    Todd Rundgren's Utopia-Another Live
    Utopia-Ra
    Utopia-Ooops! Wrong Planet
    Utopia-The Road To Utopia
    Utopia-Deface The Music
    Utopia-Swing To The Right
    Utopia-Utopia
    Utopia-P.O.V.
    Utopia-Oblivion
    Todd Rundgren-Faithful which is really Utopia backing him up.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 02-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Todd Rundgren-Faithful which is really Utopia backing him up.
    As were parts of "Todd" and "Initiation," and some of those albums were played at Utopia shows. They could also do "Can't Stop Running" from Nearly Human, which has all of Utopia on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    As were parts of "Todd" and "Initiation," and some of those albums were played at Utopia shows. They could also do "Can't Stop Running" from Nearly Human, which has all of Utopia on it.
    And, "Just One Victory" from Todd's AWATS was a staple in the Utopia encore position.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    And, "Just One Victory" from Todd's AWATS was a staple in the Utopia encore position.
    "Wait another year,Utopia's here."

ralph schuckett has had to drop out for health concerns. they are opening up the possibility of a fan filling in. nows your chance pull out your keyboards and get practicing folks.

It's true!

u.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 03-19-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^
    Due to unexpected health issues, unfortunately Ralph Schuckett will be unable to tour with Utopia this spring.

While discussing a replacement keyboardist, it occurred to us that there may be someone out there who already knows the music and vocal parts and would like an opportunity to tour with us. So if you think you could fill those big shoes, we invite you to submit an audio and/or video sample to us.

We are on a very fast track, so the decision will be made this week. Band rehearsals begin in 2 weeks, so you won’t have a lot of time to learn the set. If you still want to try out, send your submissions (mp3s or links) to info@panacea-ent.com. If audio-only, a photo would be nice but not required.

Good luck!
    Utopia

Too bad one of Kasim’s keyboardists isn’t available.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Too bad one of Kasim’s keyboardists isn’t available.
    he had Brand X's keyboardist right? they will be on tour at the same time unfortunately.

I heard that Ralph was going to sing Roger’s songs (so I guess they were going to do “Windows” et al) in his absence. So I guess they need a keyboardist who can also sing. I guess that eliminates everyone’s top pick for a replacement, Greg Hawkes.

What’s Tom Brislin doing these days? Is Brent Bourgeois still all bible-thumpy?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^ I was thinking Brislin too, but he's busy with something, right?

Surely there are some talented folks here on PE who could do this gig, no? Has anyone heard from Trurl lately? Winter tree maybe? Or is he primarily a guitarist? Didn't Keneally tell us a while back that he was touring as a keyboardist with some big name?

Does Jesse Gress play keyboards at all? Well I guess if he played them well enough, they would have already hired him...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Didn't Keneally tell us a while back that he was touring as a keyboardist with some big name?
    He's with Satch on the G3 tour in Europe I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I was thinking Brislin too, but he's busy with something, right?
    He's with Renaissance, touring in May, I believe.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Old man of prog
    What about Squids?

Squids is busy. Keneally is busy. Saw them both reply on Facebook.

Racheal Flowers anyone??
    I don't know about her singing though. But do know she can handle the keys no problem. Maybe the other guys can step up for the vocals., Just a thought.

I saw Utopia back in the mid-70's with Journey (before they became a chick band), tickets were like $17.00. One of the biggest reasons I don't do to many concerts anymore are the prices, $175 for some crappy floor seats at the Wiltern is NOT gonna happen... sorry Todd...!

Lol, my friend asked me if I was interested but my gigging days are long done. I'm sure there will be enough folks out there who can fill those shoes. Sad to hear about Ralph though and hope he gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Squids is busy. Keneally is busy. Saw them both reply on Facebook.
    I got tagged a bunch of times (even by Mike Portnoy!!! awesome) as a suggestion for them and I talked to my main man Fern (Fernando Perdomo) who is such a big Todd Rundgren fan he has a sticker of Todd on his guitar! Too bad Fern doesn't play keys because that would be his dream gig. By the way, Fernando won the remix contest for Todd's Collide-a-scope song and instead of making it more electronic like remixes tend to do he went the other way and gave it guitars (the end is awesome). Check it out! https://soundcloud.com/fernandoperdo...pe-dreaming-in

Anyway, I was talking with Fern about whether I should do this gig. I AM busy that's true but I'm always busy. I multi-task if I'm on the road though so depending on schedule it's not impossible. The bigger hurdle is that I don't know all the albums and songs like I do with other bands I'd jump to play with (such as Roger Waters, Roger Hodgson, David Gilmour, Steve Hackett, Yes...). It'd be a steep learning curve for me in just two weeks to play in Utopia! If they like to change the set list from gig to gig pulling songs out of the 12 Utopia albums or however many there are (reading above there's even more on Todd albums as well?). Something tells me this is more for a hardcore Utopia fan who's a quick study. I think anyone who's already in a Todd Rundgren and/or Utopia TRIBUTE band would be primed and ready for this. That's not me. But, on the other hand, it sounds like a fun gig! I used to know Roger Powell. Really nice guy! I don't know if he still works there but when I knew him he worked at APPLE on the Final Cut Pro team. Roger and his brother used to use my sound company's products.

Anyway, there is a chance I could maybe do this gig. Singing and playing keys with Todd and Utopia would be quite an experience. If they're desperate and don't find anyone I might be available to do it. It wouldn't be the first time I rolled up my sleeves to do something insane with only a week or two notice!

Roger Jospeh Manning Jr. would be perfect. Dude can play and sing

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Is Brent Bourgeois still all bible-thumpy?
    that's a interesting idea. I follow him on twitter seems he primarily criticizes trump nowadays, but maybe I will post it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Roger Jospeh Manning Jr. would be perfect. Dude can play and sing

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Pretty busy with Beck I think. Otherwise yes.

I'd rather have some unknown who knows the material, and can play and sing rather than trotting out someone's favorite. This likely will be a dream gig for them and would give it their all not to screw up around their idols.

Quote Originally Posted by insidious meme View Post
    I'd rather have some unknown who knows the material, and can play and sing rather than trotting out someone's favorite. This likely will be a dream gig for them and would give it their all not to screw up around their idols.
    I agree for the most part. If there's some singing keyboardist who is in a Utopia tribute band this is their golden opp.