Thread: Day of Future Passed Live

Day of Future Passed Live

Found this on Amazon. The second CD has some titles I'm not familiar with. Has anyone listened to it? Is it new material
    or just some orchestra extras?

Oops I see it doesn't come out until late March. Anyone know what the 2nd CD is about?
    Last edited by Downbytheriver; 02-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

It aired as a PBS special last year. DVD will also be available.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I watched the PBS airing and I don't believe there were any new Moody songs. The titles that you don't recognize are probably just orchestral bits. They did seem to have a couple of stretches where the orchestra played that weren't on the studio album. I will warn you though that, while the orchestra definitely added something to the performance, the vocals were not very strong, especially John Lodge's vocals which were at times downright painful.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I watched the PBS airing and I don't believe there were any new Moody songs. The titles that you don't recognize are probably just orchestral bits. They did seem to have a couple of stretches where the orchestra played that weren't on the studio album. I will warn you though that, while the orchestra definitely added something to the performance, the vocals were not very strong, especially John Lodge's vocals which were at times downright painful.
    There are some other classic Moody’s songs on the set. Hence, the need for a 2 CD set.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    There are some other classic Moody’s songs on the set. Hence, the need for a 2 CD set.
    Though it looks like the second CD (the one with Days) gives names to all the various sections in between the main songs. There wouldn't be anything new there, just more titles-- probably so the writer credits can be divided.

I will pick up the DVD. I am in the mode now where I realize I may never see my heroes live before they or I take the celestial dirt nap. So live DVD's and BluRay are a way for me to relive the glory days. I am waxing nostalgic in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I will pick up the DVD. I am in the mode now where I realize I may never see my heroes live before they or I take the celestial dirt nap. So live DVD's and BluRay are a way for me to relive the glory days. I am waxing nostalgic in my old age.
    i am enjoying this album more than i thought i would. you wouldnt expect to describe the moody blues as exciting but thats what they are on two or three songs on the first disc. slipping in the slide zone is terrific. theres a female voice on several songs and that really does enhance the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    Found this on Amazon. The second CD has some titles I'm not familiar with. Has anyone listened to it? Is it new material
    or just some orchestra extras?

Oops I see it doesn't come out until late March. Anyone know what the 2nd CD is about?
    I just got the BluRay DVD and it's great.
    All the songs performed are from the Moody Blues albums throughout the years.

The second half of the concert is Days of Future Passed in it's entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    i am enjoying this album more than i thought i would. you wouldnt expect to describe the moody blues as exciting but thats what they are on two or three songs on the first disc. slipping in the slide zone is terrific. theres a female voice on several songs and that really does enhance the vocals.
    I believe the voice is Norda Mullen, she's been touring with the Moody Blues since 2002.
    She is very talented, a multi-instrumentalist including keyboards, guitar and is a fantastic flautist.

It's the first time I've really noticed her being so prominent, but she's a very good addition and one would get the impression she is a full time member of the band.
    Highly recommend this show. A++++

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Actually, Lodge sounded surprisingly good for him. He has rarely done well in the live setting and both me and my wife were pleasantly surprised. Now, did he sound great? Not so sure about that. But, he was more able than I expected, especially on the songs he didn't originally sing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

When we saw the show last year at The Mann, you could not hear the vocals from the female on stage right.

She is predominantly part of the mix on this release.....and quite frankly, I don't think she fits in.