Thread: Brand New Steve Hackett Interview

Brand New Steve Hackett Interview

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Interesting,
    thanx for sharing.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

DOOOODE. 8s......?????

Wow.

Watch out for those demon drummers! This is not like forming a garage rock band And kicking out the jams, this is like 20 years of intense study with the master imparting the oral tradition which is thousands of years old .

“My wife Jo and I just returned from India. We had a wonderful trip visiting temples that were carved out of mountains and the most extraordinary stuff. Also encountering music there. They have demon drummers and percussionists. I'd never heard anything like it in my life. Stuff that sounds electric. Something that would thrill any rock drummer listening to this stuff. Highly developed sense of rhythm. Tremendously exciting. I'm not just saying that to be politically correct. I was blown away with this stuff. When I heard it, it made me want to move. My body just started rocking backwards and forwards. I was absolutely there and wanted to be part of that. I wanted that to be part of what I do, so in the future I think there will be an aspect of that.
    I don't know how it works because we don't speak the same language either verbally or indeed how they perceive in another sense. But I recognize the same spirit that goes through these different forms. They've got a way of making things charge along that makes you go"Oh my God! What I want is this plus this plus this." If only I knew that that could be done. How I could drive it. Like bottled lightning, really. Just extraordinary stuff. Completely thrilling. Completely different to rock, but still as elemental and urgent. I run out of words for it. I really wish you could've heard what I heard when I was in India. I'll try and bring some of that to the plot of the new stuff. I'm halfway through a new studio album and I've got to get an aspect of this into it.”

Great stuff, as always, John.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Excellent questions and great responses. Thoroughly enjoyable to read. Thanks.

Thanks for posting! One of my favorite musicians. I am so thankful that he has been blessed to make so much beautiful music over such a long career.

I wonder how many guitarists are going to immediately run out and get 8 gauge strings and lower their action.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying!

Very good interview indeed, thanks.

Yeah my curiosity is piqued about his experience with Indian drummers and how it will manifest in his own music. Will Trilok Gurtu play on the next Hackett album? The mind boggles....

Looking forward to Kashmir part 594 then....

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    A very nice interview. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
    It's appreciated.

His main guitar is a Fernandes Les Paul copy, not the real thing. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    His main guitar is a Fernandes Les Paul copy, not the real thing. Right?
    He has uncannily followed and shadowed, in terms of electric guitar gear, everyone of Bob’s moves. Except I think that Bob got rid of the Marshall stacks decades ago. Nonetheless: from the black Les Paul to the Fernandes with Sustainer.....

There have mainly been two I can think of. Agnes Varda had this wonderful 1970s film about French feminism called “one sings the other doesn’t”.

For the black Les Paul to the Fernande sustainer crowd of two , I guess we can rename that as “one sits, the other doesn’t”.

I think that Bob once errr “chuckled” about Steve playing his part In a Crimson cover band. I wonder if Steve ever mentioned how much his sound is derived from Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I think that Bob once errr “chuckled” about Steve playing his part In a Crimson cover band. I wonder if Steve ever mentioned how much his sound is derived from Bob.
    Fripp himself suggested Hackett as his replacement if the reformation of the original KC were to go forward in the late 1990s. Apparently Fripp didn't want to work with Lake, it was either McDonald, Giles, Lake and Hackett, or if he were to be involved, McDonald, Giles, Fripp and Wetton.

So, surely Fripp is aware.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very interesting, John! Had no idea I'd be seeing Jonas with him tomorrow, just like when I saw him at the same venue in 2015 I had no idea I'd be seeing him with Roine! Who's next?

Also interesting to know about show(s) with the Buffalo Philharmonic! Hopefully they'll do some shows in the US after that. I thought I'd be burnt out on Hackett for a bit after the show tomorrow, and I probably will, but I'd turn out if this orchestra was appearing with him. Or, at the least, another live release. What the hey, eh?

I'll be at Tarrytown as well. Looking forward to a fun night!