Thread: Cassette to usb players with half decent transport mechanisms?

Cassette to usb players with half decent transport mechanisms?

In the latest round of cleanup/household reorgs I 'found' some boxes of cassette tapes.
    Some were self recorded back in the 80's ( TDK SA C90 ) some store bought.
    I would love to be able to rip some of them to a pc for further enjoyment, just not worth buying them all over again.
    I have been looking at Cassette to usb adapters and the pricing and descriptions are all over the place.
    No cassette players in the house other than a sad boombox, so I need more than just the analog to usb part.
    Audacity should work fine to clean up and save in other than MP3 format ( the source will be an old tape, but I must have some standards ).

Any recommendations for one with a half decent mechanism, Dolby NR a bonus?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The eons are closing
    Great thread, I would be interested in one of these too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    In the latest round of cleanup/household reorgs I 'found' some boxes of cassette tapes.
    Some were self recorded back in the 80's ( TDK SA C90 ) some store bought.
    I would love to be able to rip some of them to a pc for further enjoyment, just not worth buying them all over again.
    I have been looking at Cassette to usb adapters and the pricing and descriptions are all over the place.
    No cassette players in the house other than a sad boombox, so I need more than just the analog to usb part.
    Audacity should work fine to clean up and save in other than MP3 format ( the source will be an old tape, but I must have some standards ).

Any recommendations for one with a half decent mechanism, Dolby NR a bonus?
    check Amazon. I know that there's a few units on sale there that aren't too expensive but I haven't seen any of them with Dolby noise-reduction. You can work around this if you have a halfway decent WAV file manipulation program, most of which have a noise reduction function. Most of the units I see for sale are glorified personal players and the tape head in these things are going to be bare minimum quality at best.

I theink you can use audicity (free) for noise reduction: https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'd love to know what the single quotes around 'found' in the OP mean. Did you actually steal them?

LOL - just kidding, but I am wondering.

I would think a dedicated cassette-to-USB device -- like the dedicated turntables-to-USB -- would be horribly overpriced for what you get because it's such a niche market, populated by price-no-object trendies.

You might be better off getting a good quality used cassette deck (local audio store or eBay), getting one of these for $30, and doing it the old fashioned way.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't know the first thing about this gadget,
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WSFNJY...&pd_rd_w=S4k0b

But I do like the disclaimer at the end: Attention: It records only when the tape be playing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't know the first thing about this gadget,
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WSFNJY...&pd_rd_w=S4k0b

But I do like the disclaimer at the end: Attention: It records only when the tape be playing.
    They used the Jive Speak translator.

I like that you can walk around listening to your cassette like back in the day, AS it's being converted!

I use a cheap device on my job for video/VHS -> PC -> DVD. Should do the trick with sound too.

This type:
    https://www.av-cables.dk/composite-c...SABEgJ9ovD_BwE

And a free version of this software: http://www.honestech.com/main/SoftwareUpdates.asp

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd love to know what the single quotes around 'found' in the OP mean. Did you actually steal them?

LOL - just kidding, but I am wondering.
    I knew they were around, but their presence and future disposition were brought to my attention.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I use my Tascam digital audio recorder to my Yamaha cassette deck to transfer to SD card. Works great! You would still have to use something like Audacity to split the tracks.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I would love a 4-track cassette player to USB...for transferring all my old crappy experiments to digital.

Actually, I really just need a working 4-track with individual track outputs and I'd be all set. I just can't bring myself to buy some ancient 4-track cassette recorder from Ebay or whatever.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-15-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    <sig out of order>

None of the reviews on the tape-to-USB devices filled me with great confidence. I ended up purchasing a decent Sony tape deck instead and just doing it the old-fashioned "analog" way, recording the WAV into my computer and then cleaning up, etc..
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Your best bet would be to go to your local Goodwill Store and pick up a used cassette deck, which was high-end back in the day, then go directly into your computer. I'd recommend taking a tape you don't really care about to test play before making the purchase. Electronics from Goodwill don't always work
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Your best bet would be to go to your local Goodwill Store and pick up a used cassette deck, which was high-end back in the day, then go directly into your computer. I'd recommend taking a tape you don't really care about to test play before making the purchase. Electronics from Goodwill don't always work
    Most thrift stores have a test plug. They’re also lousy with used cassettes, so at least testing if it runs properly shouldn’t be a problem. Unless it has a headphone port, there’s not really any way to test if it has more subtle issues (i.e.: a wobbly motor). I lucked out with my (FREE!) Tascam 302.

The first thing you ought to do when you get it home, before sticking any of your own media into it, is clean the heads. Cotton swabs and some 91% isopropyl alcohol should do you.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^^ And also, immediately after testing the deck in the store, remove the cassette and examine the actual tape to make sure the deck didn't chew the tape.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Best bet is to get a used cassette deck at GoodWill I've found several good ones over the years for less than 20.00. Most recent purchase was a JVC 3 head unit that sounds just fine. I have a FocusRite Scarlet i2 for interfacing. Audacity works very well for recording and converting to MP3.
    The cassette to mp3 standalone units are generally all crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I would think a dedicated cassette-to-USB device -- like the dedicated turntables-to-USB -- would be horribly overpriced for what you get because it's such a niche market, populated by price-no-object trendies.
    nah, many cheap options

You might be better off getting a good quality used cassette deck (local audio store or eBay), getting one of these for $30, and doing it the old fashioned way.
    Definitely. A decent home tape deck will have a better motor, mechanics as well as a better tape head, one that can be adjusted. But like I said before, If what you have on tape was also released on CD, you'll be better off finding a cheap used copy. Used CDs are as cheap lately as I've ever seen them. If we're talking about something never released on CD and you have plenty of time and you know your way around an audio file manipulation program, then sure, go for it.

BTW, RC I still listen to that Steven Miller CD you burned me from a vinyl rip years back. Wasn't that a stand alone CD burner? I had that album on tape decades ago and can't imagine a rip from the cassette could sound as good as that vinyl rip