Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New cars without cd players

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Holy Shiite....Since I'm still driving my (purchased new) 2006 Toyota Tacoma....I can't imagine (other than what I see on TV commercials) the new tech that is in new vehicles these days.
    Hope to use my Saab for another 500 000 km (it's 130 000, right now), so I've giot a few years before worrying of not playing CDs in my car

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Finally we're talking about something important: listening to Prog in my car is a religious experience so I hope the OP finds his way!!!
    you will be excommunicated by next week... prog must be religiously listened to only on physical mediums. Heathen!!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A car without a CD player is like a day without sunshine.
    alleluuuuu-fucking-yeaaaaaa!!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes! I refuse to listen to anything in a car that doesn't arrive on radio waves.
    well our state-owned national radio's reprogrammation makes it that I do listen to radio a lot more these days

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    Am I the only one who sometimes uses the AM radio in his car? Probably some of you do for sports..
    Actually, AM radio (or MW as we call it in Europe) is fairly useful to listen to foreign radios in another country, so I use it a fair bit more than I used to for decades... Poor offer, though and poor reception.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I lease a 2016 Honda Accord. I fear that when the lease is up in August 2019, that I will have no choices in new vehicles that have a CD player.
    My last car was a 2010 Mazda3 that had an 6 disc CD player with Bose stereo. That won't happen again.

I prefer to listen to a whole CD and not random tunes. All the music I listen to is 99% on CD.

Old car here I come?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I drive a company car which at this point in time is a 2017 Ford Focus which pretty much has all the bells and whistles. It's a Sony system with a single CD player, Bluetooth connectivity, and USB connectivity. The older Focus model I had had a 3.5 mm audio input but this car does not. The head unit in this car have a great interface for the USB stick / thumb drive and navigating through folders and or songs is pretty easy. The interface allows me to browse my music via album, artist, song, or folder. Couldn't be simpler. And it's a large 4 x 7 display so it's easy to see, it's also a touchscreen. It also has Bluetooth and because I don't use an iPhone I have plenty of expandable storage space on my Android based phone. As far as what kind of mechanism do I use to play music files on my computer, I don't bother with any kind of music management system. With Android it's as simple as drag-and-drop or right click copy. Fuck ITunes hard.

I got a Bluetooth receiver for the car and tried running the phone's iTunes through it. I made the mistake of listening to a Steely Dan track and was less than pleased with the audio quality. I will try it again with a direct cable running from the phone into the receiver to see if that makes a difference. The receiver also has a USB port so I'm going to load some audio files on a stick and see how they sound.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes! I refuse to listen to anything in a car that doesn't arrive on radio waves.
    My new Infiniti has a wax cylinder player in the trunk. I paid extra.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Cone, did you get a streaming system in that sweet thang or is there a CD player?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It has a CD player as well as streaming....I mostly use my Sony Walkman via bluetooth, though I can harwire via USB as well.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I got a Bluetooth receiver for the car and tried running the phone's iTunes through it. I made the mistake of listening to a Steely Dan track and was less than pleased with the audio quality. I will try it again with a direct cable running from the phone into the receiver to see if that makes a difference. The receiver also has a USB port so I'm going to load some audio files on a stick and see how they sound.
    Some newer cars have FLAC and other lossless compatibility, so you should be able to get CD-quality audio that way. Even less-compressed mp3s would be fine for car audio.

For me, the key would be how well the system deals with the files (such as "remembering" where you left off when you turned off the engine, for example).

I am seriously thinking of getting a new car as my current one is starting to nickle and dime me to death (I did not think I was going to make it home from work last night). I still want a CD player in my vehicle. Does anyone know if there is a list out there of 2018 cars that still have them?

I've decided that if we end up with a car without one I'm going old school and getting a CD player installed. It'll probably be a nightmare to install but that will be the audio dealer's problem.

A CD player is NOT standard in the new Honda Ridgeline, but if you want one real bad, they have it as a $310 option...!

Ember
    Pick the car that’s the best car for you as a car. If there’s no disc player, add one. Don’t let the tail wag the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Pick the car that’s the best car for you as a car. If there’s no disc player, add one. Don’t let the tail wag the dog.
    Yep.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The 2017 E Class Benz I rented in Germany last year did not have a CD player! I was pretty pissed off to say the least. I couldn't even get my phone paired either to stream tunes - it was olde school radio stations in Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. I pretty much listened to classical radio the entire time (if I could find one).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    My old company car, a Ford Focus, had USB input but wouldn't read over a 32 gig thumb drive. This new Ford that I'm driving has a different head unit and interface. For s**** and grins I put my
    128 gig thumb drive in the port and the head unit reads it fine. I have two USB ports on the system as well. One of which has wav files on it and the head unit plays The Wave files with no problem. I'm going to do some browsing through these thumb drive to see if I have any Flac files just to see if the head unit will play those too

I tried my Blu Tooth receiver again, streaming off my iPhone. Still sounded like ass, especially compared with my CDs. So I guess on a new vehicle I'll either need a USB connection for lossless files like 3LockBox is talking about or just adding a CD player to the system if it doesn't have one. I'm an old man and my hearing isn't what it was but as long as I can still tell the difference I'm not going to tolerate it.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    had a car with an 8 track. someone broke in and took the stereo and installed a stereo with a cd player. They also left Billy Joel's entire catalog. I was very traumatized.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"