Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Where are you sitting? Wear a funny hat so I can find you!
    Scott will be dressed like a Rajneeshi.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'd be embarrassed, too.
    Hey, my boys are overachieving so far. Excellent starting pitching. If they could hit, they'd be in first place.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Had to google this one. It's not quite as funny after the fact, but my personal embarrassment makes up the difference.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Had to google this one. It's not quite as funny after the fact, but my personal embarrassment makes up the difference.
    It's piling on the request by someone in another thread who wanted Geezer to describe his friends who appeared in the Rajneeshpuram documentary. You needed to be familiar with both threads to get why I said that.

As the saying goes, "if you have to explain it, it ain't funny."

It's piling on the request by someone in another thread who wanted Geezer to describe his friends who appeared in the Rajneeshpuram documentary. You needed to be familiar with both threads to get why I said that.

As the saying goes, "if you have to explain it, it ain't funny."
    Then again, sometimes it is even funnier when someone is too stupid to get it!

I would never call you stupid, Lou!

Not to your face, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Romine isn't going anywhere. I could see Tyler Austin and Aaron Hicks going away. They need to make room for Clint Frazier. Andujar looks like the real deal and will be a Yankee for a long time. I honestly don't even think Machado is on theie radar anymore.
    Hicks isn't likely going anywhere, because he's a pet favorite of Cashman. Austin and Clint Frazier are the most "available" Yankees being dangled, from what I've heard, followed by Andujar and Romine. A combination of 2 or 3 of these players should get the Yankees one of the best available starting pitchers. Andujar is expendable because the already have Bradon Drury. Gregorius is a possibility, because he will be a free agent after next season and the Yankees may not be interested in putting the amount of money into him that he will command on the open market. They could make a deal for or sign outright Machado (still on their radar) or save a lot of money by moving Torres to SS (where he has more value), find somebody to play 2B and then next year get Harper and/or some outrageously priced pitcher. If anybod wanted Stanton, I don't doubt that Cashman would at least be interested in hearing it.

In short, there are a lot of ways the Yankees can play things. It depends on what players are made available to them. They are one of the few teams that can offer multiple young players with proven major league success, and they also have farm system players that other teams want. And some veterans that they could move under the right circumstances, too.

Unfortunately, Montgomery's injury means that they have to do *something*. I was hoping he could come back and the Yankees mostly sit tight and go with the players they have, but that wouldn't appear to be an option any more unless Sonny Gray magically rediscovers 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not to your face, anyway.

The odds of whether or not the Brewers fare well in Philly have improved some since Nola is pitching tonight against CHI.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yeah, they dodged a bullet there. But they'll still have to face Arrieta.

I'm sure that the Yeastie Boys would rather face Arrieta, who they know well, than Nola, who no one really knows yet.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

RIP to the old Redhead, Red Schoendienst, who at 95 had been the oldest living Hall of Famer. Key member of both the 40s-50s era Cardinals and the championship teams of the Milwaukee Braves in the late 50s. Wore the Birds on the Bat for almost 70 years as a player, coach and pennant winning and World Series champion manager of the Cards teams of 67-68. Was a local boy who grew up in the German American heavy area of southern Illinois across the river from StL. Was always a class act and lived a heckuva life. Seeing Stan the Man and Red each Opening Day in their red HOF blazers was always special, and a reminder of an era long gone.

His imprint on the game of baseball was huge when you consider his role as player, coach and instructor, and manager since the 1940s. Only stopped hitting fungos a few years ago in spring training. Was a teammate of Musial, Aaron and even Mays for a short time. Coached and managed Gibson, Brock, Carlton, Torre, Ozzie, Pujols etc. Coached with Herzog, Torre and LaRussa.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 06-07-2018 at 12:07 AM.

the Yeastie Boys

Love that!

NOT ME TALKING!!

Today on ESPN during the course of the day, 3 different baseball mouths said that the Brewers are one starting ace away from being one of the 3 best teams in baseball.

I'm not quite buying that yet, but there's no doubt anymore that with the best record in the NL, they're good.
    Excellent article about the Brewers: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-2015-royals/

FWIW, ESPN's power ratings have the Brewers 9th. 538.com has them 10th. Seems about right. Definitely one of baseball's more exciting teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Excellent article about the Brewers: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-2015-royals/

FWIW, ESPN's power ratings have the Brewers 9th. 538.com has them 10th. Seems about right. Definitely one of baseball's more exciting teams this year.
    Thanks! I think it's quite accurate in terms of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    RIP to the old Redhead, Red Schoendienst, who at 95 had been the oldest living Hall of Famer. Key member of both the 40s-50s era Cardinals and the championship teams of the Milwaukee Braves in the late 50s. Wore the Birds on the Bat for almost 70 years as a player, coach and pennant winning and World Series champion manager of the Cards teams of 67-68. Was a local boy who grew up in the German American heavy area of southern Illinois across the river from StL. Was always a class act and lived a heckuva life. Seeing Stan the Man and Red each Opening Day in their red HOF blazers was always special, and a reminder of an era long gone.

His imprint on the game of baseball was huge when you consider his role as player, coach and instructor, and manager since the 1940s. Only stopped hitting fungos a few years ago in spring training. Was a teammate of Musial, Aaron and even Mays for a short time. Coached and managed Gibson, Brock, Carlton, Torre, Ozzie, Pujols etc. Coached with Herzog, Torre and LaRussa.
    I did not know he was still alive. Agree one of the greats.

Watching Mets vs. Yankees. C'mon Mets. F the Yankees.

Fracking Aaron Judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Fracking Aaron Judge.
    I saw an ESPN ad tonight that called Judge the best player in Baseball. Time for ESPN to put down the crack pipe and get off the Jankees schlong.

I saw an ESPN ad tonight that called Judge the best player in Baseball. Time for ESPN to put down the crack pipe and get off the Jankees schlong.
    Seriously. There's Trout and nobody else is close. They actually have an ad making this proclamation?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Seriously. There's Trout and nobody else is close. They actually have an ad making this proclamation?
    It was a promo commercial for tonight's game. They called him the best in MLB, then later made him out to be the best in NY. (Like, no, we didn't really say that.)
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 06-09-2018 at 10:22 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    yeah, maybe the best in this particular game
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not commenting on that ad because I didn't see it. But, ESPN has been sucking Red Sox cock forever.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"