Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here we go again.
    No, we don't. One reply is my limit. I made my point.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't think I've ever seen this before.

The Brewers are playing the D-Backs and Greinke's started for AZ. They are horrible right now (have lost 10 of their last 11) and Greinke has always been one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball.

In tonight's starting AZ lineup, at .267 he has a higher batting avg. than all 8 position players!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen this before.

The Brewers are playing the D-Backs and Greinke's started for AZ. They are horrible right now (have lost 10 of their last 11) and Greinke has always been one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball.

In tonight's starting AZ lineup, at .267 he has a higher batting avg. than all 8 position players!
    Shohei Ohtani could do the same if he batted in the same game he pitched. He has the second-highest average on the Angels.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Cards Miles Mikalos, who I never heard of before the Cards signed him as a FA after playing 3 years in Japan, may be the pitching FA signing of the year so far. Just pitched a complete game shutout on 109 pitches, no walks until 2 out in the 9th (against the admittedly hapless cross state "rivals", the KC Royals). One of these guys who has bounced around and now has somehow found it at 29. He throws strikes, nasty curve ball, great control. 6-0, 2.24 ERA.

After the 13K, 1 BB, 2 hit game from rookie Jack Flaherty yesterday, and with young top pitching stud Alex Reyes about to step back into rotation after an injury year, the Cards will have some interesting P decisions to make.

Flaherty looked really good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I read an interesting stat this morning. The Yankees have hit 14 HRs in the last three games. Surprisingly, that set a franchise record. Of all the teams they've had since the 1920s, I can't believe this hasn't happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I read an interesting stat this morning. The Yankees have hit 14 HRs in the last three games. Surprisingly, that set a franchise record. Of all the teams they've had since the 1920s, I can't believe this hasn't happened before.
    Two more games of Texas Ranger pitching - possibly more records to come!

Holy shit.

Just saw the Phillies catcher’s throw that ended last night’s game. That kid has a cannon!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Two more games of Texas Ranger pitching - possibly more records to come!
    They certainly have some hitting deficiencies, too. Of the last four guys in their lineup, the highest batting average is .201. Another thing I don't think I've ever seen.

They certainly have some hitting deficiencies, too. Of the last four guys in their lineup, the highest batting average is .201. Another thing I don't think I've ever seen.
    Yeah. The bottom three especially is *really* bad - Gallo is having at least an OK year at the plate, balancing his bad batting average with being 4th in the majors with home runs. His .751 OPS puts him around the middle of the pack as a hitter for 3rd basemen in the majors, (along with Andujar, Todd Frazier and Evan Longoria. to provide context).
    Last edited by Facelift; 05-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Make that the last five batters in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Holy shit.

Just saw the Phillies catcher’s throw that ended last night’s game. That kid has a cannon!
    He really does. If anyone is stealing on the Phillies, they're stealing on the pitcher, not Alfaro.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

starting to think the Brewers may actually be good this year
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

The Brewers, Rockies, Braves and Phillies have all been nice surprises this year.

Well, let me clarify: I'm not thrilled at the Braves' success, but I like seeing new teams atop the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    starting to think the Brewers may actually be good this year
    After last year (weren't they still in 1st place by 10-11 games as late as the end of June last year?), I remain very cautiously optimistic while still in late May, but yeah they might.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

^ My early season surprise with the Braves success is starting to feel more like cautious optimism. Folty appears to have calmed himself on the mound. Teheran has figured out how to pitch with a fastball that rarely tops 90. McCarthy has been a pleasant surprise. Newcomb might be the ace of the staff and is begin to convince me that he can do this over an entire season.

And while the rotation has cemented itself and helped the Braves get to where they are, I think it's time to mention just how awesome Ozzie Albies is. I have resisted speaking about him all year. When Gregorious was raking, so was Albies. But, like Gregorious, I feared it was only a hot streak. I know everyone hits all of the home runs now, but Albies is only a HR behind Harper for the NL lead. He plays stellar defense. He runs the bases incredibly well--his base-running decisions won last night's game versus the Phils. And there's a fun drinking game you can play with him: every time he loses his helmet, take a drink! (Not recommended for beginners; Albies' helmet never stays on.)

Should this production continue (can we still expect a regression back to the mean?), not only should he start for the NL at second, but he should be a strong MVP candidate.

Oh. And he's only 20.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Especially considering the hype around Acuna, Albies has fast tracked his way to ROY. You’re right to shine some light this way, quite an impressive start.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Judge just launched a 471-footer in Texas.

Judge just launched a 471-footer in Texas.
    That was truly tremendous.

And then baseball's most overrated bullpen gave it all back.

Hopefully Judge has more in his bat tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Especially considering the hype around Acuna, Albies has fast tracked his way to ROY. You’re right to shine some light this way, quite an impressive start.
    Those two guys are going to be terrorizing the NL East for a long time.

Hanley Ramirez has been DFA'd by the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow! Saves them $22m next year as the plate appearance clause will not apply now. That had to be a huge factor. He had a couple good weeks but overall pretty bad for well over a year now.
    And welcome back Pedroia from the DL.

The dude is a Yankee-killer. Couldn't be happier to see him go.

As a long time Hanley mancrusher, I am sad to see this era come to an end. I'm hopeful that they are able to work out a trade with another team that would keep Hanley playing for another year or two.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

In a pitcher's duel yesterday the Brewers scored 17 runs w/19 hits. The Mets had 6 runs on 12 hits. 31 hits!

Former (until 2 days ago) Yankee (Ancient) Eric Kratz went 2 for 5 with a 425 foot HR in his 1st Brewers start.