Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Concert Films of the Greatest Bands.. Who Did and Who Didn't?

Some pretty good footage from a somewhat fringe band that certainly had influence on the sub genre of prog - art rock.
    I think this film really helps their legacy over other bands from that era that didn't get good footage.

Actually The Who were also filmed at Tanglewood in 1970 (with Jethro Tull as support, think they were filmed too). Again some of this Tanglewood gig was on the 30 Years... VHS/DVD, but I gather only the older one disc version- the two disc one apparently cut all this show. But basically that and Charlton are about the best of what's left, surely. Not sure how much was filmed of them in Woodstock.

An example of a great band that didn't get videos of their classic prog period distributed and known after their initial airing on television is Triumvirat.
    Their legendary fall 1974 tour opening for Fleetwood Mac had a Philadelphia show taped with 11 minutes of the first suite of their then latest album Illusions On A Double Dimple that was aired on ABC's In Concert in the middle of January 1975 that will never see the light of day again as the tape was thrown out sometime after it was initially aired, according to then show host Don E. Branker.
    In 1975, a local PBS TV station in the Orlando, Florida area teamed up with a local FM radio station for a simulcast of Triumvirat performing music from their Spartacus album. This also has never been seen since way back then on TV. Inquiries by me to the station have gone unanswered.
    Rather painful news to fans of the band; I guess you had to have been at your television way back when with these videos.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

Some pretty good footage from a somewhat fringe band that certainly had influence on the sub genre of prog - art rock.
    I think this film really helps their legacy over other bands from that era that didn't get good footage.

someone must have discovered Youtube,

Yes please let's not go all Svetonio on this thread with the YouTube madness.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes please let's not go all Svetonio on this thread with the YouTube madness.
    Not sure whether to use the or
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^Anything to do with that guy has to be

He used it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nektar. One of the great visual shows of all time. No live footage. Clearly, the limits of film were a factor at the time. Even when they reunited at Nearfest and filmed it, they kept the house lights on, which washed-out Mick Brockett's liquid light show. But, Nektar's legacy was also saddled by a lot of bad luck and terrible decisions. Another factor would be the copyright issues with the footage they used.

I'm sooo glad the Hendrix estate released his (nearly) entire Woodstock performance with alternate/better footage. The footage in the original film is horrible. Hardly any shots of his actual playing. There was a period where that technique was a trend, but it put the form over the function. People wanted to see him play, not the top of his guitar neck creeping in from the side of the frame.
    Nektar is a perfect example of a great band that missed the boat. The band fully integrated the visual element along with the music into a seamless experience for the audience. While their recordings were very good, it was always about seeing them live. I don't think that is going to transfer to future generations without that experience being visually documented. Definitely an opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Not sure whether to use the or
    However, I do think in the case of this thread, because it is about the visuals, posting concert footage would be most appropriate. I hope someone posts some great stuff I was not aware of.

Thinking of bands I have live footage for on DVD:

Zeppelin
    I like TSRtS, and like it even better with the additional tracks that were on the DVD compilation. Add to this the RAH, Earl's Court and Knebworth from that DVD, and I think Zeppelin is now pretty well represented on film, though one could always want more, particularly from the Physical Graffiti period.

Queen
    I have the Rainbow '74 DVD which is visually astounding, you really can't ask for more than this. Musically, the performances are doctored, so it's not like really seeing them live, and I dock it a point or two for that. I'd love to see quality releases of NatO/DatR/NotW films, whatever exists. Tons of post Jazz footage is out there, but who really cares by then? It's the 70s footage that would really be interesting. Definitely holes in the Queen catalog that could be patched.

Rush
    I have Exit Stage Left, which is OK for what it is. I've seen some great footage of the band from Hemispheres and earlier on Youtube. Would be great to compile that, clean it up, and put it out. Again, plenty of stuff after Signals, but by then, who really cares? I certainly don't. So definitely opportunities here.

VDGG
    I have the Godbluff DVD, which also has Theme 1 and Plague on it. One could wish for the Godbluff part to be better filmed, but we're damn lucky to have this, so I don't complain.

Gentle Giant
    I'm pretty satisfied with what has been put out by GG. You could wish for a bit more mid-period stuff, like PatG/Freehand period, but we're lucky to have what we have from a band whose profile was never as big.

ELP
    A bit frustrating with ELP, as there's nothing really great from the Trilogy/BSS period. Pictures is OK, but the performance isn't as good as the album. The Works stuff is OK visually, but the sonics aren't always great, performances aren't always great, and some material is missing (I don't believe Pirates is on the DVD). The Cal Jam footage on that DVD compilation wasn't that good, I don't even have that DVD anymore. Unless some gem pops up, I think we're out of luck on ELP.

Miscellaneous
    I have the ELO early years, which is quite good, and Hackett's Spectral Mornings DVD, which is very good. These basically satisfy me, though if a good New World Record/Out of the Blue DVD came out, I might grab it. I have nothing from KC in the 70s, only Deja Vroom and Eyes Wide Open. I'm not even sure if anything from the 70s is available from them, but there's tons of stuff on Youtube. I have Bruford's Rock Goes to College, which is sublime, and the Dregs at Montreaux which is also awesome. Can't really ask for more than these.

And last but not least, Yes
    Probably the most frustrating, because good footage exists of several great periods, but it's often paired with poor audio, like QPR, or is missing too much good music, like Philadelphia 1979 (which also has pretty poor audio). By comparison, Yessongs is a revelation, but it would have been so much better with Starship Trooper there, and even better with Siberian Khatru as well. One would wish for more mid-period stuff, like QPR, and I've seen some pretty good GftO footage on Youtube they could potentially release, but it probably won't happen. So Yes will likely remain represented poorly by the footage that has been officially released.

I'd agree about Kansas. I'd like something from Leftoverture or PoKR. I know there is stuff on Youtube that has some great performances and visuals from even earlier periods. Tull seem to be catching up now releasing those late 70s concerts. I wish they'd put these out separately from the album boxes, which I don't particularly want, but the concerts are now on Youtube, so I can watch them. Obviously Genesis would be the other one, but so little exists. If they could compile everything from the 70s into a nice DVD package, it would be great, but I doubt it will happen. The best bet is to just see The Musical Box.

Bill

So many missed opportunities by great bands that unfortunately the video or audio technology was either non-exsistant or simply was never filmed.
    And you can't say there have been many recent attempts to unearth lost treasures, compilations, collections or reconstruction of a specific show.

There are many examples:
    Jimmy Page did a wonderful job with his "Led Zeppelin" DVD collection released in 2003. Jethro Tull's "Around the World Live" (2013) and Deep Purple's also called "Around the World Live " (2008) were quite good but it will always miss a tour here and there.

It is a pity YES did not also release in DVD like what they did for audio with "The Word is Live" or even King Crimson that Fripp released massive Box sets like "Starless" and "Road to Red" so why did DVD format not get the same treatment? Who knows...

My all time favorite concert film is "Concert for Bangla Desh" and "Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare" (filmed in '75 England where all the fans say "Brilliant!!". And major dropping the ball: Pink Floyd (any tour from 73-80) & Genesis Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (74-75, '77 also). Queen (how was 1977-78 were missed is beyond comprehension).
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    A bit frustrating with ELP, as there's nothing really great from the Trilogy/BSS period. Pictures is OK, but the performance isn't as good as the album. The Works stuff is OK visually, but the sonics aren't always great, performances aren't always great, and some material is missing (I don't believe Pirates is on the DVD). The Cal Jam footage on that DVD compilation wasn't that good, I don't even have that DVD anymore. Unless some gem pops up, I think we're out of luck on ELP.

I have the ELO early years, which is quite good, and Hackett's Spectral Mornings DVD, which is very good. These basically satisfy me, though if a good New World Record/Out of the Blue DVD came out, I might grab it.
    This cheap Blu-ray has the 1977 Wembley show (with the correct live audio) and has the entire Early Years DVD plus that Discovery promo video.

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Lig...elease/7604287

Mostly video so it's standard definition but still.

ELP, the only hope is if the gigs shot for Manticore Special exist in full. The audio of those exact shows was recently released in that big box set, so you never know. Can't comment on what they sounded like because they didn't give them separate releases, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    My all time favorite concert film is "Concert for Bangla Desh" ...
    I was actually going to mention that. I just watched it again not long ago. I've always considered it the best of the "all-star" concert films. Killer lineup.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This cheap Blu-ray has the 1977 Wembley show (with the correct live audio) and has the entire Early Years DVD plus that Discovery promo video.

https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Lig...elease/7604287

Mostly video so it's standard definition but still.
    Interesting. I always avoided this because of the wrong audio, but I see this has the real live audio (though many say it's not so good). This is available on DVD pretty cheap, I may grab it since I already have the Early Years DVD.

Thanks,

Bill

^Yes it's only videotape so it's not like the Blu-ray will look much better than the DVD really.

I suppose The Beatles weren't too badly served, considering. In particular I can't believe the film of them in the Cavern Club in 1962 doing 'Some Other Guy' survived the ravages of time. That was shot by an ITV company before they recorded 'Love Me Do' and Ringo had just joined the band- it actually wasn't used at the time but came to light after they were famous.

A sobering thought; if their Ed Sullivan performances had been in the UK, they almost certainly would have been wiped.

ELP
    'Pirates' is definitely on the Works Orchestral Tour DVD (1977 Montreal). Fine performance too.

Neil Young's Heart of Gold from 2006 filmed at Ryman Auditorium. Includes background on Neil's writing of the Prairie Wind album, the concert preproduction, the venue, the film production, the musicians and then the brilliant concert itself. A start to finish film of a one-off concert. Rust Never Sleeps is another earlier good Neil concert movie.
    Last Waltz by The Band could have been better or could have been worse.
    Metallica Through the Never has great concert footage, as if you are actually on the stage, but had a fictitious story line interwoven that wasn't necessary.
    Long Time Running about the final Tragically Hip concert tour. Covers the final year of the band from after Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, from the first band rehearsal where Gord didn't even remember any of his lyrics, song titles or even album titles to having 90 songs ready for a cross Canada tour and live tv broadcast, any of which could have been canceled at any moment. Lots of concert footage, behind the scenes coverage, and overall Canadian perspective about the band.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    'Pirates' is definitely on the Works Orchestral Tour DVD (1977 Montreal). Fine performance too.
    My bad. I mis-remembered, thanks for the correction. I knew I kept this DVD for some reason!

[QUOTE=Sputnik;766565]Thinking of bands I have live footage for on DVD:

Queen
    I have the Rainbow '74 DVD which is visually astounding, you really can't ask for more than this. Musically, the performances are doctored, so it's not like really seeing them live, and I dock it a point or two for that. I'd love to see quality releases of NatO/DatR/NotW films, whatever exists. Tons of post Jazz footage is out there, but who really cares by then? It's the 70s footage that would really be interesting. Definitely holes in the Queen catalog that could be patched.
    They released the Hammersmith Odeon show from the A Night At The Opera tour on DVD a couple years ago. I have a bootlegged copy of it form the late 90's, still haven't gotten the official release. You'll love it.

Other Queen shows that are known to exist:

Hyde Park, September 76: A decent performance, but maybe not their best. And there's some weird audio snafus (when Freddie goes to the piano, his vocal mic seems to not be as loud as when he's standing). Also, the delay effects are missing during Brian's Brighton Rock cadenza and Freddie's vocal cadenza during The Prophet Song. If you've ever seen the video for Somebody To Love, they used a bunch of clips from this show in that.

Earls Court 77: From the A Day At The Races tour. Great performance, I think, showing the band at their peak. I think this is another video screen footage. If I recall correctly, I've heard there's two nights floating around, but I've only seen one. There's again some weird audio anomalies, like Freddie's vocals dropping out here or there, but it's still pretty awesome. They kick out of the medley with Killer Queen, which segues into Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy. I think they also do Doing Alright, from the first album, the only time I've seen it on video, if that means anything to you.

Houston (I think) 77: from the News Of The World tour, I believe this was the tour where Thin Lizzy opened. The video for the "fast" version of We Will Rock You, I think, comes from this show. Some cool stuff here, too.

There's some bits and pieces of shows I've seen from the Jazz/Live Killers era, though the details escape me now. I know I have a video somewhere of them doing We Will Rock You, with Freddie sitting on Superman's shoulder. I also have the Hammersmith Odeon show from December 79, one of the Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea, but it again has a lot of gaps.

VDGG
    I have the Godbluff DVD, which also has Theme 1 and Plague on it. One could wish for the Godbluff part to be better filmed, but we're damn lucky to have this, so I don't complain.
    Oh that one drives me crazy! Tight closeups of David Jackson's face, and I'm yelling at the TV, "ZOOM OUT! ZOOM OUT, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!". Yeah, you've got one of the great rock sax players, doing the double horn thing, and you can't really see anything! But musically it's awesome. And there's a great shot of Banton, at the end of Sleepwalkers, where you see him playing the arpeggios up and down the organ keyboard, and I'm thinking, "Wait, is that even physically possible?!". If you've ever seen the clip of the Buddy Rich/Animal drum duel, I more or less make the same face Animal makes everytime Buddy finishes one of his bits.

A bit frustrating with ELP, as there's nothing really great from the Trilogy/BSS period. Pictures is OK, but the performance isn't as good as the album. The Works stuff is OK visually, but the sonics aren't always great, performances aren't always great, and some material is missing (I don't believe Pirates is on the DVD).
    Pirates is on the Beyond The Beginning DVD, isn't it? I dunno about any other DVD version, but I could have sworn it was on my bootleg VHS copy of the Montreal show.
    The Cal Jam footage on that DVD compilation wasn't that good, I don't even have that DVD anymore. Unless some gem pops up, I think we're out of luck on ELP.
    You mean in terms of it being a bad performance, or in terms of it being so fragmentary? The band should have bought the footage from ABC, as Deep Purple did (that's why we have the Deep Purple performance from that night in it's entirety, but not ELP's).

Miscellaneous
    I have the ELO early years, which is quite good,
    Really? I watched some video footage of them on Youtube, where the cellists sounded abominable. Maybe it's the monitors, but they seem like they were more worried about dancing around than playing in tune.

and Hackett's Spectral Mornings DVD,
    Which one is that? Is that the early 80's one? I have one DVD of a show he did in the late 80's, which I thought was pretty good, until I heard the old VHS release apparently had a couple extra songs that aren't on this one.
    if a good New World Record/Out of the Blue DVD came out, I might grab it.
    I've never heard of the existence of any footage from the New World Record tour.
    Of course, there's the Wembley footage from the Out Of The Blue tour, but less said about that, the better. What I wish there was some footage from the Time tour.
    I have nothing from KC in the 70s, only Deja Vroom and Eyes Wide Open.
    I know of only four things:

Top Of The Pops: mimed performance of Cat Food (which is only partially extant)
    Beat Club: available on the Larks Tongues box, about 40 minutes of the band performing, with Muir on percussion, before they'd even recorded the album
    Melody: French television, available on the Starless box (but only in Blu-Ray form, those of us who only have DVD are TSOL on this one, though audio is included among the CD's)
    Midnight Special: I think this one does appear in DVD form on the Starless box, the band performing in Central Park in 73, performing Easy Money and I think an improv.

As far as I know, nothing else exists of King Crimson performing in the 70's. Also, if you like the 80's quartet, you should get Neal And Jack And Me, a DVD of the two concert videos that were shot on the Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair tours. They're also included on the On (And Off) The Road 81-84 box, as well as at least one other concert, which I believe was shot in Germany, and supposedly hasn't been seen since it was broadcast back in 82 or whenever it was.

And last but not least, Yes
    Probably the most frustrating, because good footage exists of several great periods, but it's often paired with poor audio, like QPR, or is missing too much good music, like Philadelphia 1979 (which also has pretty poor audio). By comparison, Yessongs is a revelation, but it would have been so much better with Starship Trooper there, and even better with Siberian Khatru as well. One would wish for more mid-period stuff, like QPR, and I've seen some pretty good GftO footage on Youtube they could potentially release, but it probably won't happen. So Yes will likely remain represented poorly by the footage that has been officially released.
    As frustrating as QPR is, at least it exists. Nothing exists of them performing on the Barnacles set (which was used on the US leg, I believe, of the Relayer tour) or the Crab Nebula set (the 76 tour).

A sobering thought; if their Ed Sullivan performances had been in the UK, they almost certainly would have been wiped.
    Very true. There was an early Doctor Who episode, where the Doctor and his companions at the time are seen watching a video clip of The Beatles (I believe the gag was that the DOctor is explaining how rock n roll music would be regarded as "classical music" centuries from "now"). Anyway, the clip they're watching was actually taken from a BBC TV show, I forget which one now, but the original tape was wiped. So that little bit that appears in the Doctor Who episode is all that's survived of that particular TV appearance (and even that's probably a miracle, given how much of Doctor Who hasn't).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Re Queen: They released the Hammersmith Odeon show from the A Night At The Opera tour on DVD a couple years ago. I have a bootlegged copy of it form the late 90's, still haven't gotten the official release. You'll love it.
    What I don't get about this release is that the only Night at the Opera track on it is Bohemian Rhapsody. Otherwise, it's almost the same as the '74 disc I already have. Why would I want this?

Re ELP Cal Jam: You mean in terms of it being a bad performance, or in terms of it being so fragmentary?
    Both really. I was really disappointed in what was there, and how it sounded. It is what it is, I guess, but I prefer what little there is on the Manticore Special to this footage.

Re ELO: Really? I watched some video footage of them on Youtube, where the cellists sounded abominable. Maybe it's the monitors, but they seem like they were more worried about dancing around than playing in tune.
    A bit of that on the 73/74 performances, but the 76 performance is excellent. Kelly Groucutt really shines, and the whole band takes a step up musically here, imo.

Re Hackett: Which one is that? Is that the early 80's one? I have one DVD of a show he did in the late 80's, which I thought was pretty good, until I heard the old VHS release apparently had a couple extra songs that aren't on this one.
    No, this is from a show from November 8, 1978, right before Spectral Mornings came out. Seems to be OOP now, but here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Hackett.../dp/B003IMERTW

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Define "greatest bands." I'd MUCH rather we had some footage, any footage of some fringe bands that changed the face of music, rather than more footage of the same tired old stadium rock bands. ymmv
    The footage that seemed the most "holy" to me is the little bit of early Gong footage I've seen - I wish there were more, but at least there's a lot of live audio. I don't think it's even of them playing, it's just them farting around, but still. I also love the mid 70s films of Ange, also without an audience. Oh, and the Gentle Giant stuff of course, that might be THE BEST!

As far as great live footage, I do think the original cut of Floyd at Pompeii is a great performance, great footage of the band, and a great artistic achievement, if not perfect. I love those panning shots of the band and their monolithic amplifiers.

I think Gentle Giant really got it right with a few real quality captures of their live performance, and I think this has done wonders for their prog rock legacy. Had then not had such quality footage, I'm not sure a lot of future progressive rock fans would fully appreciate them as it's almost too hard to believe they pulled this stuff off live as solidly as they did.

They have had over a million views of this video... I'd don't think they ever sold a million albums. A lot of younger folks who love this band have learned about them from youtube etc.
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this! Love the stuff on Giant on the Box, will watch this soon!

Good point about Kansas. A real opportunity missed, and I am sure it will severely damage their legacy moving into the future.

On the other hand, you have a great band like Camel that was only moderately successful, not anywhere along the lines of Kansas who had a couple
    very good documented captures of their performances during their peak creative and playing years.

I didn't think of the Camel footage either! That's some of the best as well. I love those two DVDs with this early Camel footage.

Queen

ELP

Miscellaneous
    I have the ELO early years, which is quite good, and Hackett's Spectral Mornings DVD, which is very good. These basically satisfy me, though if a good New World Record/Out of the Blue DVD came out, I might grab it.l
    How is the Queen Rainbow '74 doctored, maybe the '75 Live at the Odeon is the one to get?

Not 70;s but for ELO I like the 2001 Zoom Tour DVD