Thread: Jethro Tull without Martin Barre: Where's the justice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Are we still talking about this? Wow - let's beat the horse until its dust then beat it some more.
    Yes, we're still talking about this because a reformed Tull minus Barre has much more impact that Anderson touring solo without him. If Barre was not deeply hurt by being thrown out of Anderson's projects and just went on his own way, then fair enough. But actually reforming Tull without him is the ultimate insult and really hits home with the actual reformed Tull concerts soon coming to fruition.

As the old adage goes Frank, if the topic is old to you, just pass it by. It will never be old to me as I know that Barre's role in Tull was extremely diminished by Anderson over the last 20 years and Barre still wanted to play in that diminished capacity, and in fact was happy to do so. He still enjoyed it. As for praising Anderson, you've found much more of his recent output to appreciate than the average fan. His time of greatness was well over years ago. As his muse failed, treating his old band mates well was the last act that would have ensured his greatness as the group's leader. Sorry for my late reaction to this dissing of Barre, but time has not made it palpable to me or acceptable. Only worse.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 12-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Yes, we're still talking about this because a reformed Tull minus Barre has much more impact that Anderson touring solo without him. If Barre was not deeply hurt by being thrown out of Anderson's projects and just went on his own way, then fair enough. But actually reforming Tull without him is the ultimate insult and really hits home with the actual reformed Tull concerts soon coming to fruition.
    But it is not a reformed Tull. It is Ian Anderson and his band performing Tull songs in tribute of its 50th Anniversary. There is a difference, ever so slight.

Are there any other former Tull members in IA's current touring band?
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    But it is not a reformed Tull. It is Ian Anderson and his band performing Tull songs in tribute of its 50th Anniversary. There is a difference, ever so slight.

And that makes Barre asked to perform as a special guest (the special guest) out of the question?

And that makes Barre asked to perform as a special guest (the special guest) out of the question?
    Do we know with any certainty that he wasn't asked to perform?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nothing was specifically mentioned on Barre's FP page and the Barre Band Website, except that Barre and Doane Perry are still pissed for not being asked to join Ian's TAAB/TAAB2 tour.

Far as anyone can tell, Martin is having a much better time as it is. He makes no secret in interviews that he wasn't happy in Tull anymore-- didn't like the fact that the setlists never changed, or what was happening to Ian's voice. I've enjoyed the heck out of the MB Band shows I've seen, and though there's been no update lately, it seems he is still planning an anniversary tour with some ex-Tullies.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This is a quote from Ian when asked about the personnel that will be performing the Tull songs for the 50th Anniversary shows:

"There have been over thirty two band members in the band, so it's a little impractical to factor in some without leaving out others. The four guys with me for the last twelve years have their marbles, their own instruments and their boarding passes. Many of the past members gave up music a long time ago or are not able to play anymore. A few, sadly, are no longer with us..."

It is kinda sad that he looks at Barre as just one of the 32 band members.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    David Goodier and John O'Hara were members of the last incarnation of Tull, and Florian Opahle had already depped for Martin Barre at a few shows when Martin was suffering from a hand injury.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And has reappeared a couple posts later.

The reference was to an anti-Tull comment he made in an episode of Parts Unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, I see. I like Bourdain's show, but he's an ass so it doesn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I like his show too but yeah he has made comments about Tull more than once. It is due to the whole Grammy thing surprisingly, you would think someone like Bourdain would realize that all Grammy awards are basically BS and not care one way or the other but it seems like he does.

The biggest time was in the Queens of the Stone Age episode where they take turns shooting a Jethro Tull album with a bow and arrow. The funny thing is they look to be shooting a copy of Stand Up rather than Crest of a Knave. I bet Bourdain would actually like Stand Up!
    This thread blew up, so I didn't open it for a while. To answer this though,..I never heard him mention the Grammy thing. The comment I was referring to was something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "Jethro Tull drives me crazy. I hate that whole flute-on-one-leg English diddly-diddly thing." So, I think it's a combination of him not liking English Folk and Ian's whole Exaggerated Court Minstrel persona. He strikes me more as a Ramones kind of guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    This thread blew up, so I didn't open it for a while. To answer this though,..I never heard him mention the Grammy thing. The comment I was referring to was something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "Jethro Tull drives me crazy. I hate that whole flute-on-one-leg English diddly-diddly thing." So, I think it's a combination of him not liking English Folk and Ian's whole Exaggerated Court Minstrel persona. He strikes me more as a Ramones kind of guy.
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect him to like it, that's for sure. You're probably spot on with the Ramones! He would have made a good frustrated-wannabe-musician cum record-store manager too.

As the old adage goes Frank, if the topic is old to you, just pass it by. It will never be old to me as I know that Barre's role in Tull was extremely diminished by Anderson over the last 20 years and Barre still wanted to play in that diminished capacity, and in fact was happy to do so. He still enjoyed it. As for praising Anderson, you've found much more of his recent output to appreciate than the average fan. His time of greatness was well over years ago. As his muse failed, treating his old band mates well was the last act that would have ensured his greatness as the group's leader. Sorry for my late reaction to this dissing of Barre, but time has not made it palpable to me or acceptable. Only worse.
    Except nothing has been re-formed, you know? The musos are the same as for the past decade or so.