Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Low Bass

Acoustic guitar and Tuvan throat singing? Really nice recording on both counts... but not even down to about 80 Hz! By the way did you notice the crude mono punch-in at 2:13? Weird.

Some pretty low percussion here though:
    By the way this album pegs my weird-o-meter, thanks!
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-24-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Sara McLaughlin's "I Love You" from Surfacing found a defect in one of speakers woofers. woof woof

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Andreas Vollenweider's The White Winds. I don't know that any of the track actually plumb the depths you're talking about but considering most of the bass notes were played on the largest strings of a bass harp I was rather impressed. My brother could rattle the floor joists with a couple of the tracks toward the end of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Andreas Vollenweider's The White Winds. I don't know that any of the track actually plumb the depths you're talking about but considering most of the bass notes were played on the largest strings of a bass harp I was rather impressed. My brother could rattle the floor joists with a couple of the tracks toward the end of the album.
    Yes, Vollenweider in general is magnificently recorded. Not only the low strings on his harp, but some bigass percussion and various sound effects. Excellent suggestion!

Youtube is not the right source, but on this track there is a bass drum

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Youtube is not the right source, but on this track there is a bass drum
    There is a single drum hit at 1:51 which sounds like it might be pretty low. That's a long way to go for a single sound.

Compare -- for example -- to this. Particularly the downward sweep at 1:56:
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-30-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Or this:

Or this:

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't know exactly what kinda muzik you like, but Daft Punk's Random Access Memory has some low bass on a few tracks. Maybe some of their soundtrack work does too (Tron Legacy for one).

Nicolas de Grigny - Récit de Tierce en Taille
    Organ - played by Jean Guillou on the great organ of St. Eustace , (DOR-90134)
    My Amazon order of this CD arrived today, and you're right! Track 2 (the Grigny, 1671-1703) is indeed some lovely 32 ft pipes, with a frequent clear 32 Hz fundamental. The piece, which is new to me, is nice and slow and really allows the low notes to hang in the air for a good long time. Delicious!

I was even more impressed by the 27-minute long suite in the second half of the CD, composed by the performer himself. It's very modern sounding without being too avant-garde, with lots of stuff that pushes the capabilities of what is indeed a very large pipe organ. It's a modern masterpiece I think.

Thanks for the excellent recommendation!

^^
    I'm glad you liked it !

Today I ran across a CD totally by accident and purchased it "sound unheard" just on the off chance that it would contain some impressive percussion sounds. I was not disappointed. YouTube does not BEGIN to reproduce everything in this:

Today I remembered an old (1989) Mickey Hart CD I have called Däfos.

One track features "The Beast," a 25-ft diameter circular aluminum frame from which Mickey's drums are suspended for performance. For this track he DROPS the frame to the wooden floor of the studio (Japan Center Theater, San Francisco). A Very Large Sound results.

It's impressive.... but hardly musical.

Hart also plays, on another track, "The Beam" which is an instrument invented by Craig Huxley (album "Genesis Project"), consisting of a 12-foot (another one is 18-foot) aluminum extrusion fitted with piano strings and pickups. Michael Stearns used The Beam on some of his albums, most notably the soundtracks to "Chronos" and "Baraka" and for sound effects on the first two Star Trek movies:

The Beam has also been used in soundtracks to "The Thin Red Line" and "Silence." Does anyone know of any other albums featuring The Beam?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-11-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Those organ bass pedals...

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    My Amazon order of this CD arrived today, and you're right! Track 2 (the Grigny, 1671-1703) is indeed some lovely 32 ft pipes, with a frequent clear 32 Hz fundamental. The piece, which is new to me, is nice and slow and really allows the low notes to hang in the air for a good long time. Delicious!

I was even more impressed by the 27-minute long suite in the second half of the CD, composed by the performer himself. It's very modern sounding without being too avant-garde, with lots of stuff that pushes the capabilities of what is indeed a very large pipe organ. It's a modern masterpiece I think.

Thanks for the excellent recommendation!
    I heard it again yesterday. My Marantz CD 16 (Ken Ishiwata version) needs new belts, so I am temporarily using a cheaper Marantz version ( about 700 $ I think it cost) I have as a spare.
    To my surprise all the low notes were gone or allmost unreconizable. Guess its the DAC thats the culprit.

Guess its the DAC thats the culprit.
    Or the output could be low-pass filtered. Filtering at 50Hz or 60Hz (to kill AC hum) would be pretty safe on most material.

Or the output could be low-pass filtered. Filtering at 50Hz or 60Hz (to kill AC hum) would be pretty safe on most material.
    Why would a CD player, in the midpriced HiFi segment have a low-pass filter? Its a Marantz CD-63II, and according to the data sheet it goes down to 20 hz, but it doesn say how steep the slope is. Perhaps there is only 1% left at 20 hz.
    I got it for free (a friend wanted to chuck it), but myself I would never buy a hifi-device that could't reproduce 30 hz. Its not THAT low, it's still in a lot of music.

I agree it shouldn't be.

But it seems more likely than a DAC problem, which afterall isn't frequency-specific (or if it is, it's HIGH frequencies).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    but myself I would never buy a hifi-device that could't reproduce 30 hz.
    Most speakers.

I agree it shouldn't be.

But it seems more likely than a DAC problem, which afterall isn't frequency-specific (or if it is, it's HIGH frequencies).
    Most speakers.
    Not here, its the CD-player, the other CDplayer can.
    My speakers roll of after 33 hz (Snell A-II)

I love Snell As.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    That Beam must be a bitch to take on the road.

The Beam *IS* the road.

Found another album with lots of cool sub-30Hz percussion.

There is an organ here