Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The autotune on that new Kansas live album ...

I went to one of the shows on the tour (although I doubt they taped at that show) and they were fantastic. Musically, they were amazing but their vocals, live, were fantastic. As I listened to the Carry On My Wayward Son clip, the vocals were so much worse that when I saw them live. They were far less dynamic, and they now have that metallic "Ting" in the upper ranges that my ear picks up with auto-tune.

Oh, what a mistake by them. The show was so good, they did NOT need to do this.

I don't have an objection to Auto-tune based on some principle, I just object to knowing how good they were, it just wasn't needed.

I was told I'm just confusing auto-tune with reverb.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That ain't reverb. When the beginnings and ends of lines start sounding like the Residents, it's autotune.

The line "I still was a mad man" at about 1:31 is absolutely, positively auto-tuned. Wow...

Put your good headphones and judge for yourself: https://vid.me/xCA6U

https://vid.me/xCA6U
    Last edited by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa; 11-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Sure that's not reverb?

Sure that's not reverb?
    "Metalic reverb" ? if is it, is the worst possible. Terrible option

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There is NO autotune on "Moon in June."
    That's just how I roll...

Guess we all are.
    If that is reverb, someone should take a closer look at the buttons of the effects-rack, because something is marked wrong.

Now I'm told...

"Autotune does not "have a sound" except for the sound of a note bending. #truth"

I always thought autotune was the sound of one hand clapping.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's that metallic, perfect, robotic sound- not a trace of human vibrato at all. 1.20-1.30 of '...Wayward Son'- closed case. Ten seconds there and it's swimming in it. Also 3.47-3.52. Oh my. Doesn't seem like this singer even needs it, why do it??
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-06-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    The line "I still was a mad man" at about 1:31 is absolutely, positively auto-tuned. Wow...
    Yup, that's when I stopped thinking, "that's not so bad," to "OH MY GOD" and hit the stop button.

WTF is my thought too. I heard it was used in post production. But why??? This tune may be the worst offender.

Pity, the band sounds killer and the mix is super punchy.
    Oh my gosh...I read the thread title and thought to myself, "surely it couldn't be THAT bad..." Now, I LOOOOOVE Kansas, and I own everything they've ever put out...but "Carry On" is almost unlistenable, vocally speaking...I'm shocked and disappointed. Until now this was an auto-buy for me. What in the world were they thinking?
    Last edited by Sean; 11-07-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I saw them earlier in the summer and thought the vocals sounded great. I agree with other comments, there was no reason for them to use it IMO.

Yes but now they can release again in a few years as Leftoverture Live "Naked" .

They could also be using it live, too. Just sayin'.

I'm a newbie at listening for this kind of stuff, so bear with me... I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm just saying I'm having difficulty hearing the autotune. I can hear something odd at "I flew too highhhhh". The highhhh sounds a little odd, phrased unnaturally. Is that it? What you guys are talking about... The "masquerading" part at around 2:12 just sounds a little off-key.

I will say that there are boots out there that sound like better performances than the one chosen for the 2CD set. Just more energy overall. But I don't know if that is the result of autotune, or studio trickery, of the released version.

Well it turns out I was out of line asking straight up on their Facebook page if they used it. Of course I guess I knew there was no way they would cop to it anyway and I forgot that it's one of those sites where you can only say nice things. You can't have a well-balanced discussion. I imagine it is a touchy subject so I probably should have just not gone over and inspired a bunch of fanboys to pile on me and make me look like a dick. Who knows, maybe we're all just imagining this and they are right? You think?
    Last edited by Sean; 11-07-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't know why you guys are so upset, it's Live and Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't know why you guys are so upset, it's Live and Beyond!
    Good one!

I forgot that it's one of those sites where you can only say nice things. You can't have a well-balanced discussion...
    Oh God. I know that feeling. But yeah, they'll squash you because we can't hurt sales. It's all about promoting the greatest band on the planet... Kansas!

Just curious, does it say who mixed and produced the record?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I also think that using it in live performance is questionable, at least to me, ethically.
    If you have not heard it and want a laugh, google "what Britney Spears really sounds like live," as there are a couple examples of what was actually going out of her microphone...double ypikes ... no, make that triple...
    ... and me! This is total bullshit. It's a damn shame. Like someone already stated, in these days of fake facts the rubes probably will not mind...

It's fine for Britney - that shit's for stupid kids and clueless fuckballs. Par for the course. It's all about the show and the image - who cares about the music. It would suck in any event, but damn! She suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 11-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't know why anyone would think that Kansas fans would care whether or not the lead singer sang out of tune. Kansas fan dutifully followed the band for years when a cackling manitou was the lead singer.