Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rush - "A Farewell To Kings" 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edtion Box Set

Rush - "A Farewell To Kings" 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edtion Box Set

Rush - A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Release

On December 1, Rush will release a lavish, new and expanded edition of the* landmark album A Farewell to Kings — the fifth studio album originally released in 1977, which introduced the radio hit “Closer To The Heart,” album tracks “A Farewell To Kings,” “Madrigal,” “Cinderella Man,” as well as enduring fan favorites with “Xanadu” and “Cygnus X-1.”
    A Farewell to Kings—40th Anniversary will be available to fans in four distinct configurations including (1) Super Deluxe Edition, (2) three-CD Deluxe Edition, (3) four-LP Deluxe Edition, and (4) the Deluxe Digital Edition.

More Details Here;

https://www.rush.com/a-farewell-to-k...rsary-release/

Is the 5.1 diffeent than the 5.1 that was released with the box set of albums a few years back ?

I don’t even own a record player so what the hell would I do with the vinyl that is most likely remastered and cut from the DIGITAL ceedion anyway ??

Ok, so they're offering the SAME live '78 show as on 3 Stages, but with a few different tracks? I would even imagine other tracks would need to be cut to fit on one disc.

And the vinyl and all packaging comes with the new horrific, cheesy & blurry artwork by "Needing to retire Huge Syme", instead of his absolutely brilliant classic cover (one of the best classic covers ever, really)....

The Farewell To Kings Promo videos has an upgrade of Closer To The Heart, but not the others.

Incredible.

^I could never work out why at least 'Closer To The Heart' was not included on that 3rd Different Stages disc (a show recorded on that album's tour). As far as I can see there was more than enough room for it. It's obviously a good enough performance to be released now...but of course if fans want it they have to buy the album again first...with cover versions thrown in as a dubious bonus.

These box sets take the piss. See also the recent ELP one which dumped peak period (1973!), unreleased multi-track live material in a big box. Oh, and only on record too.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Ok, so they're offering the SAME live '78 show as on 3 Stages, but with a few different tracks? I would even imagine other tracks would need to be cut to fit on one disc.

And the vinyl and all packaging comes with the new horrific, cheesy & blurry artwork by "Needing to retire Huge Syme", instead of his absolutely brilliant classic cover (one of the best classic covers ever, really)....

The Farewell To Kings Promo videos has an upgrade of Closer To The Heart, but not the others.

Incredible.
    The live show is on 2 CDs. LOL about "Needing to retire Huge Syme!" Not sure why they don't realize that a new cover is going to be a turn off. I'm just fine with the original remaster CD of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    Rush - A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Release
    It remains astonishing how little material this band committed to tape outside of what made it to the albums. I saw this on facebook this morning, and I had this momentary moment of "3 discs? Is it possible there's bonus tracks?"

Then I read the description and of course it's all like, "we had so little material to use, we had to fill this out with tracks from other bands."

Hmm, I might get one of the versions but not the deluxe box set which is ridiculous. It would be good to get a new SW stereo mix which must be better than the last remaster.

That '78 show isn't even that great of a performance. Geddy's having an off night vocally.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Is the 5.1 diffeent than the 5.1 that was released with the box set of albums a few years back ?

I don’t even own a record player so what the hell would I do with the vinyl that is most likely remastered and cut from the DIGITAL ceedion anyway ??
    The details about the set state that that 5.1 surround mix (on the Blu-Ray) is 'brand new' (and remixed by Steven Wilson).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The live show is on 2 CDs.
    Re-reading the description, no it's just one disc. But it says the complete un-edited show. So perhaps the 3 Stages '78 disc is only about 40 minutes? Did they not want to repeat tracks from the newer live concert?

LOL about "Needing to retire Huge Syme!" Not sure why they don't realize that a new cover is going to be a turn off.
    My guess is the men in suits think new art by Huge Syme is a selling point, because you know, the guy is a legend and everything he does is brilliant and we the fans want it all. The problem bands get into when using these legendary guys is that when you commission them to do a piece, they have total control, and you have to buy whatever they create for you. I know this first hand, as I have already been "begged" a couple times to create a new cover for some note-able bands, really cheaply, because they spent too much & blew their budget on the classic guy (one was actually Huge Syme) and they didn't like what he came up with. Again, happened more than once. And turned them down each time. F them really. That's how I felt.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-19-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Incredible.

Disappointing on so many levels. Love this band, but this is a blatant money grab (in lieu of the band's inactivity) thats not worth fans' money, IMO. They've yet to produce something truly different/special (perhaps it doesnt exist).

The live show is on 2 CDs.
    Re-reading the description, no it's just one disc.
    Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    The details about the set state that that 5.1 surround mix (on the Blu-Ray) is 'brand new' (and remixed by Steven Wilson).
    What??!!? And it's only available with the $149 set? That's seriously lame. I have absolutely no interest in vinyl or paying $149 to get the surround mix (even if it is by Steven Wilson). I think I'm going to have to skip this one and hope they decide to release the Blu-ray separately in the future.

Yeah I'm not into the Wilson 5.1 remix thing but many fans are. Burying that within the box is extraordinary. Most others have made those Wilson mixes far more widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Disappointing on so many levels. Love this band, but this is a blatant money grab (in lieu of the band's inactivity) thats not worth fans' money, IMO. They've yet to produce something truly different/special (perhaps it doesnt exist).
    With these mega boxes of recent years, one does start to feel like they are some kind of extra pension pot for these big-time rock stars.

Re-reading the description, no it's just one disc. But it says the complete un-edited show. So perhaps the 3 Stages '78 disc is only about 40 minutes? Did they not want to repeat tracks from the newer live concert?
    No, it's on two discs according to this...press 'show tracklist'.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...962be2b35b166c

Maybe I live under a rock but I have never heard of three of the bands doing covers.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-19-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Terrible new artwork but A Farewell To Kings is my favorite Rush album. By a very large margin!!!

(That said, this is a pass for me...)
    The Prog Corner

Incredible.
    The new artwork is awful. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The new artwork is awful. What's the point?
    I think the new cover would be pretty cool without the guy, a type of character that the band has used for a decade now in concert clips. The problem is that they already have a much better cover. Still, I bet newer Rush fans would prefer the new artwork.

I've never heard of a band including covers from other bands on their box set. Can't imagine the appeal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Dream Theater is the only one of the covering bands I've heard of.

Even if I was seriously interested in the contents of this set, the new cover art would probably kill that interest. What a stupid idea.

I wonder how much the boys were even involved in this package. Maybe they signed off but it smells more of something put together by the label.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wonder how much the boys were even involved in this package. Maybe they signed off but it smells more of something put together by the label.
    I agree with that. I think the original cover is one of their best, if not their best. This reeks of a money grab and comes off as being below the dignity of the band.

What's next with "Hemispheres"?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The last thing on earth i want to hear is Dream Theater's broadway show tune version of one of my favorite all-time albums (Xanadu is in my death-bed song list) with LaBrie whining or whatever the heck he does.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    What's next with "Hemispheres"?
    I heard the guy's ass is going to be much bigger.

I know this first hand, as I have already been "begged" a couple times to create a new cover for some note-able bands, really cheaply, because they spent too much & blew their budget on the classic guy (one was actually Huge Syme) and they didn't like what he came up with. Again, happened more than once. And turned them down each time. F them really. That's how I felt.
    Wow, I'd be insulted too. "The popular guy didn't work out. Can you be our backup but do it cheaper and quicker?"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

As for this album... yeesh. You know, I LOVE "Farewell," all of it, but the fact that they resorted to whatever "Cygnus X-Eh" is supposed to be shows they were desperate to fill up space for extra cash.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)