Album —highest US chart position —-sales certification

2112—61—3X platinum
    A farewell to Kings —33–platinum
    Hemispheres —47-platinum

Vapor Trails —-6—NONE
    Snakes and arrows ——3—NONE
    Clockwork Angels —2—-NONE

Interesting.

One obvious contributor is the faster propagation of information, meaning that sales of any album are going to be compressed into a shorter time interval. So the week-to-week fluctuation of US sales rank charts is becoming much more volatile with time.

Other factors: the CD era obviated the need to replace an old vinyl album; the piracy era reduced sales across the board...

Oh yeah, and the fan base is getting old.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

What about Moving Pictures?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, VT, S&A and CA didn't get any sales certification, but what about illegal download certification? I'll bet they kicked ass there.

To think that Hemispheres charted, and charted this high...sigh, decay, sigh again.

Vapor Trails may not be a platinum record, but might it be gold?

I recall reading roughly 100K copies sold the first week of its release...

No Signals? That thing got played to death in my neck of the woods.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Vapor Trails may not be a platinum record, but might it be gold?

I recall reading roughly 100K copies sold the first week of its release...
    I read not quite 300,000 for Vapor Trails before the remixed version. Best album since Power Windows. Song after song of emotional greatness. You won't find a "Secret Touch" on T4E.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I read not quite 300,000 for Vapor Trails before the remixed version. Best album since Power Windows. Song after song of emotional greatness. You won't find a "Secret Touch" on T4E.
    You know it. (But "Driven" is right up there.)

Yep, that's more like it. I figured MP would be on top.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Seems like some of those release dates are suspect.

in a way Rush's retirement could have been delayed if they didn't tour so much over the last 15 years.
    3 album tours with second legs, r30, Time Machine & r40.... 9 tours for 3 albums.
    they are not young anymore, they over did it and it took a toll on them, especially Neil.
    if they weren't so greedy with all those tours, things could have been better.
    but i guess with small album sales they need to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Preach! Phenomenal record...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    in a way Rush's retirement could have been delayed if they didn't tour so much over the last 15 years.
    3 album tours with second legs, r30, Time Machine & r40.... 9 tours for 3 albums.
    they are not young anymore, they over did it and it took a toll on them, especially Neil.
    Yeah, I think they saw that Best Buy CD/DVD/Blu-Ray package wave and rode it into retirement, Rush flashlight thingy and all. Can't really blame them though. I somehow managed to miss the two tours with the really long, crazy films involving prosthetic makeup and such - probably a good thing for me, and I have the DVDs/BDs.

Greedy? C'mon man that's a bit harsh eh? I don't think they were greedy at all. In fact I am very thankful that I got to see them as many times as I did on those tours. In fact I got to hang with Ged & several members of the crew during the R30 tour & they were very gracious with their time. So "greedy, not hardly IMO

Greedy would have been calling each one of those tours the 'farewell' tour and then doubling the ticket price. While their shows weren't cheap they never pulled that garbage, not even on the actual last tour.

By the early 00's when they came back they were mainly known and remembered for two things: material that was 20 or so years old and being a live band. They gave their fans tons of chances to see them over the last 15 or so years of the existence of the band. They played 3 hours a night, covered a ton of material, and always tried their best to put on a helluva show, musically and otherwise. Nah, good on those guys for going out as they did--I'm damn thankful for it as a lifelong fan. I can't think of another artist who was able to end things in quite the same way.

Not sure what the point of the topic is, but based on Chad's link I'd guess Rush is in the top 3 selling prog groups of all time (behind Floyd and Genesis, I'd guess).

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Greedy? C'mon man that's a bit harsh eh? I don't think they were greedy at all. In fact I am very thankful that I got to see them as many times as I did on those tours. In fact I got to hang with Ged & several members of the crew during the R30 tour & they were very gracious with their time. So "greedy, not hardly IMO
    As one who saw at least one show on all of those legs, I'm very thankful I got to see them as much as I did, especially since I thought on R40 they seemed a bit past the sell by date. I love the way they went out although there are some (Alex and Geddy especially) that took it really hard. But nobody is getting any younger so you do it while you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep, that's more like it. I figured MP would be on top.
    I remember when the remasters came out in the mid 90's, I ended up buying them all at Best Buy. As I recall, they were all $9.99 each, except for the live albums and two studio records: 2112 and Moving Pictures, and those were $11.99 each. I therefore surmised that 2112 and Moving Pictures got premium pricing because those were the two albums that were the most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember when the remasters came out in the mid 90's, I ended up buying them all at Best Buy. As I recall, they were all $9.99 each, except for the live albums and two studio records: 2112 and Moving Pictures, and those were $11.99 each. I therefore surmised that 2112 and Moving Pictures got premium pricing because those were the two albums that were the most popular.
    Yeah, now that you mention it, I wouldn't have been very surprised if 2112 was the biggest-selling album. But, I would still have bet money on MP. That was their commercial peak.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That was always my understanding. I was glad they got staggered over two release dates. It was expensive enough as it was.

Loved the artwork reproductions on those '97s but I didn't like the way they sounded from about Permanent Waves onward.