Thread: Greenland's SUMÉ amazing documental, who would have thought ?

Greenland's SUMÉ amazing documental, who would have thought ?

Watched this documentary by chance, for years Sumé was just another band for me, not knowing much about it, but this documentary is really good and knowing a bit more makes the band more relevant.

http://www.thesoundofarevolution.com/

And here you can see a few clips from the documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJ...Tp3owh2oFOYRzw

Fascinating - it's like The Residents' The Big Bubble in real life. I wonder, did "Homer" and "Hardy" knew about Sumé and how, as Greenland Inuit singing protest songs in their own language, they became symbols of Greenland independence? Or did they make up a similar story of their own, and it just happened to parallel reality.

I remember the band quite well. Not that I knew of them "back when", but they tended to turn up into lists and registers. So I got their album, It's Ok.

Thx for posting this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This one was shown on a festival here in Moscow a couple of years ago. Like you, I was astonished by the mere fact that a band like Sume has its own documentary, so I went to see it on the big screen, and it turned out a very nice film too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looks fascinating. I didn't (don't) know anything about Greenland's history or the indigenous people. I'll have to see this. As I mentioned elsewhere, I re-watched Searching for Sugar Man recently, and this kind of story of how music can unite and help activate people can make for a pretty rousing story.