Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Earthbound expanded release

King Crimson Earthbound expanded release

King Crimson‘s 1972 live album Earthbound will be reissued in November as a CD+DVD deluxe edition, with an interesting array of content.

Full details have yet to be confirmed, but the CD element will feature an expanded 12-track version of the original 5-track album.

The DVD will include this same expanded edition in hi-res stereo (24/96) and a quadraphonic mix of the 1972 Summit Studios (in Denver, Colorado) performance. This is apparently the only surviving multi-track from that tour. A hi-res stereo is also included.

Additionally, the album length Schizoid Men sequence of edits of 21st Century Schizoid Men taken from the Ladies of The Road live album, and a transfer of the original vinyl album.

This reissue comes in a slipcased double digipak and features notes by Sid Smith along with rare photos and archive material.

Earthbound is reissued on 3 November 2017.

The 7 new tracks sound interesting. But many fans already have Summit Studios and Ladies of the Road

Update: you won't need the new Earthbound if you get this:

Another one of those mega King Crimson box sets is due in November. Sailors’ Tales brings together the ‘complete’ 1970-72 King Crimson across 27 discs with a price-tag that would make Paul McCartney blush.

This set includes 21 CDs, four blu-ray discs and a pair of audio-only DVDs. Specifically you get:

• 3CDs feature Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands plus additional tracks.
    • 6CDs feature the Islands line-up’s early concerts from Germany (new to CD) and the UK (1971).
    • 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios and an expanded Earthbound.
    • 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band and two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased).
    • 3 blu-ray discs contain the main studio albums in 5.1 Surround Sound, recent stereo editions mixed by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp, 30th anniversary masters of the original stereo albums mixes (all in 24/96 hi-res), plus extensive additional material with each disc also featuring a complete alternate album and a further selection of additional, related studio/live material in hi-res.
    • The Lizard blu-ray also contains the audition material from CDs19/20.
    • The Islands blu-ray also contains the following concerts in stereo Zoom Club (4 shows), Marquee Club, Plymouth, Glasgow, Detroit all from 1971.
    • The Earthbound Tour blu-ray features an expanded version of the original album, Summit Studios gig in Stereo and Quadraphonic (newly mixed), the Schizoid Men sequence from the Ladies of the Road album, 2 newly discovered concerts in hi-res stereo and every existing soundboard concert recording from the 1972 US tour: Wilmington, NYC (2 shows), Chicago (2 tracks only), Detroit, Jacksonville, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Peoria, Indianapolis & Denver (2 shows).
    • The two DVDs feature the expanded Earthbound, Summit Studios, Schizoid Men, New York 1972 and the recently discovered live concerts.
    All of the above is presented in a large format 12” x 12″ box with booklet, memorabilia, a further downloadable concert (!), and sleeve-notes by Sid Smith, Jakko Jakszyk and David Singleton.

If you buy this, you obviously don’t need the expanded Earthbound release. Various pre-order links can be found below. Burning Shed, I believe, have this exclusively for pre-order in the UK.

The Sailors’ Tales box set will be released on 3 November 2017
    Last edited by Wah3; 09-14-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Hi Res of something sourced from Ian Wallace's soundboard cassettes.

I love my 'Earthbound', but my "silk purse from a pig's ear" comment did not pass the DGM forum moderator.
    I didn't think they were so delicate.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I love my 'Earthbound', but my "silk purse from a pig's ear" comment did not pass the DGM forum moderator.
    I didn't think they were so delicate.
    You should try saying it on that unofficial KC FB page - they'll probably hunt you down!

I wonder what the bonus tracks will be. I seem to recall reading that on the original radio broadcast of teh Summit Studios thing, Fripp made a comment taking exception to the show's sponsor, saying he felt his music was being "co-opted" for commercial purposes or something like that. Unfortunately, said comment doesn't appear on the CC release. I wonder if they'll use it on this DVD version (probably not).

And yes, it makes sense that would be the only multi-track tape, given that the live album was compiled from cassette recordings (damn, couldn't Fripp have at least brought a Nagra or a Studer along on tour?!).

Anyway, I love Fripp's solo at the end of Groon. There's something so primal about the way his guitar sounds> I used to call it the death rattle solo, because it seemed like it was announcing the death of that lineup, ya know, kinda like the Klingons who bellow when one of their comrades dies, as a means of warning the afterlife that a warrior is coming. Or something like that. I dunno. I just know I love that solo.

^Fripps discusses the sickly, syrupy qualities of soda (can't remember if he names a brand). Not sure if that bit was broadcast, but it did make it to a boot.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

wouldn't surprise me if most of bonus tracks are the tracks on ladies of the road that differ.

given they only have about 30 minutes more time for 7 tracks would not shock me if the extrememly abbreviated jazzy court of the crimson king is one.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Fripps discusses the sickly, syrupy qualities of soda (can't remember if he names a brand). Not sure if that bit was broadcast, but it did make it to a boot.
    Yes, he specifically mentions Pepsi, suggests that it is "nasty and harmful" or words to that effect, and someone in the background shouts the Pepsi ad slogan "Come alive!" to which Fripp retorts "Or a form of life." It was on the tape I had in the '70s, so it must have aired.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes, he specifically mentions Pepsi, suggests that it is "nasty and harmful" or words to that effect, and someone in the background shouts the Pepsi ad slogan "Come alive!" to which Fripp retorts "Or a form of life." It was on the tape I had in the '70s, so it must have aired.
    That's what I was thinking, if it was on the bootleg than it must have made it to air.

given they only have about 30 minutes more time for 7 tracks would not shock me if the extrememly abbreviated jazzy court of the crimson king is one.
    Are you talking about the 12 bar version they did in Detroit, after Fripp gives a rant about audiences yelling out requests for songs they don't do anymore (notable for his comment about someone writing "Learn Epitaph", in mud on the side of the van, and how they were too lazy to wash it off, so they drove all over England on their initial round of dates with "Learn Epitaph" written in mud ont he side of the van).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's what I was thinking, if it was on the bootleg than it must have made it to air.

Are you talking about the 12 bar version they did in Detroit, after Fripp gives a rant about audiences yelling out requests for songs they don't do anymore (notable for his comment about someone writing "Learn Epitaph", in mud on the side of the van, and how they were too lazy to wash it off, so they drove all over England on their initial round of dates with "Learn Epitaph" written in mud ont he side of the van).
    ya I guess bluesy was the more appropriate adjective for it now that I reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, they are currently playing Epitaph. So, i guess it worked. Just took some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Well, they are currently playing Epitaph. So, i guess it worked. Just took some time.
    But did they ever wash the van?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    Love Crimson, but Earthbound as a 40 edition..........naaa

must.milk.every.drop
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinister View Post
    Love Crimson, but Earthbound as a 40 edition..........naaa
    Hey man, gotta get the last of the 40th anniversary series out there so they can start up the 50th series!

Seriously, though, I'm totally looking forward to the Earthbound 40th. Not decided yet whether to spring for the big box or just EB. Will need a little more info on exactly what shows are in the box.

I'll buy it if it includes the clip of fripp complaining about the American cheese on his Wendy's hamburger... Otherwise no.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Hey man, gotta get the last of the 40th anniversary series out there so they can start up the 50th series!

Seriously, though, I'm totally looking forward to the Earthbound 40th. Not decided yet whether to spring for the big box or just EB. Will need a little more info on exactly what shows are in the box.
    The 50s WOW I won´t be on this planet then..............sniff

Banned
    Go for the Box

Banned
    I´ve only got Starless and I´ve yet to listen to it all

Got this for 5$ from the bargain bin of my local secondhand retailer back in '92. He called it "[...] a piece of rubbish, and that shouldn't cost much", so I got it cheap. Near mint, the cover as well; probably played only a handful of times since issued in '72. I used to listen to this sucker a lot, helped by the facilities of my crappy recordplayer.

I wouldn't change it a bit (although I hardly play it often), and certainly not through any 'bonus tracks'. Perhaps people should consider the bold move of rather spending money on something which is hitherto unknown to them? Drastic suggestion, I know. But sometimes oh so rewarding.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Perhaps people should consider the bold move of rather spending money on something which is hitherto unknown to them? Drastic suggestion, I know. But sometimes oh so rewarding.
    But people can do both, you know? That is, they can listen to their old favorites in fancy new packages AND check out new bands as well. That is what I do, anyway. Somedays I get a lot of pleasure from a Schnellertollermeyer or Sonar, while other days I need to hear yet another new concert of King Crimson playing material I am familiar with. Other days I get a kick out of old Tull, or (gasp) Asia. It's all good...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to a 25th Anniversary reissue of Vroom in a couple of years.

But people can do both, you know? That is, they can listen to their old favorites in fancy new packages AND check out new bands as well. That is what I do, anyway.
    Absolutely. But I was thinking more about priorities when there was little money left in the purse. I mean, we've all got purses but there's not always money in 'em. So if you only have money for one compact discette rock'n'roll record, and not two such, then ol' Kim Kringso isn't going anywhere and doesn't live anymore, but youngster may.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Seriously if Fripp had the common sense to expand the original album (like, make it the length of a double vinyl) in the 30th or 40th edition, I'd have bought it back then, despite the crappy sound...
    After all, I did so for their 30th anniv USA live album - though the general sonics are much more acceptable than for Earthbound.

I'm as big a crimson fan as I can be, but I passed up on all these big boxsets, coz I'm not milking cow.

Is there a KCCC album that features all of the Earthbound stuff plus more that has better sonics than that "official thingie"??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Is there a KCCC album that features all of the Earthbound stuff plus more that has better sonics than that "official thingie"??
    No. I think most of the source shows have been released (Jacksonville was one of the earliest KCCC CDs, and there's a download of Wilmington at least). Wouldn't count on better sound, though.