Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: 5uu's - Hunger's Teeth

I am into Crisis in Clay nowadays, I can't imagine where all these beautiful ideas are coming from. Isn't there a clear reference to Tales from Topographic Oceans, the start of part III, in What Price Virtue? 2 minutes running in? Anyone else hears this? I would be surprised if this hasn't been done fully deliberately, as some sort of homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am into Crisis in Clay nowadays, I can't imagine where all these beautiful ideas are coming from. Isn't there a clear reference to Tales from Topographic Oceans, the start of part III, in What Price Virtue? 2 minutes running in? Anyone else hears this? I would be surprised if this hasn't been done fully deliberately, as some sort of homage.
    A direct quote from 'the Ancient' I'd say.

There is part of "The Encounter" that makes me think it's what Yes would've sounded like if they did something really twisted on 90125.

I was just listening to Crisis in Clay (I forget which tune) while driving home from work the other day. My wife was in the car and asked if it was District 97.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    A direct quote from 'the Ancient' I'd say.
    If you're thinking of the "gliding" guitar reference, its point of homage has been acknowledged.

But all in all, seriously speaking, this 5UU thing is much too much avant to be truly prog. Because there's a line there somewhere, by which you cross willingly or unwillingly to become intendedly or unintendedly avant, and rock shouldn't be so avant if it wants to be prog. At least it should check in with extremely scholared judges of where the line to avant goes, so as to stick safely within the perimeter of prog without suddenly turning avant. 'Cause that's not what we vant.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If you're thinking of the "gliding" guitar reference, its point of homage has been acknowledged.

But all in all, seriously speaking, this 5UU thing is much too much avant to be truly prog. Because there's a line there somewhere, by which you cross willingly or unwillingly to become intendedly or unintendedly avant, and rock shouldn't be so avant if it wants to be prog. At least it should check in with extremely scholared judges of where the line to avant goes, so as to stick safely within the perimeter of prog without suddenly turning avant. 'Cause that's not what we vant.
    None of that. One li'l yes quote and you're prog forever!

definetely degenerated prog.
    btw: Looking forward to see Magma in Malmö tomorrow.

Thanx people. Yes, I am speaking of the gliding guitar reference. I didn't know it was acknowledged.

Actually, this re-invention of Yes by the UUs makes me listen to Yes with new ears. They were a band in their early years that did cross some lines. Before they became an Institution, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    this re-invention of Yes by the UUs makes me listen to Yes with new ears.
    Although they too crossed some lines, it's amazingly important to remember that Yes weren't ever avant, whereas this UU are avant. Instead, Yes were always very, very, very highly clear about how they were sympho and prog, prog sympho - and not avant. They stayed within the perimeter of non-avant (and were as such not only not avant, but almost a bit anti-avant), as measured up to the objective standards of accepted bounderies (between avant and non-avant). Just the way we vant.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Instead, Yes were always very, very, very highly clear about how they were sympho and prog, prog sympho - and not avant.
    They stated this?

If they didn't state this, then we don't know.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Although they too crossed some lines, it's amazingly important to remember that Yes weren't ever avant, whereas this UU are avant. Instead, Yes were always very, very, very highly clear about how they were sympho and prog, prog sympho - and not avant. They stayed within the perimeter of non-avant (and were as such not only not avant, but almost a bit anti-avant), as measured up to the objective standards of accepted bounderies (between avant and non-avant). Just the way we vant.
    Of course the accepted boundary is two and a half feet, just for safety's sake.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They stated this?

If they didn't state this, then we don't know.
    Jon stated it but it wasn't very clear due to the whole astral plane and higher being references.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Jon stated it but it wasn't very clear due to the whole astral plane and higher being references.

That's exactly (kinda, sorta) my point.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

They stated this?
    On the contrary, much of their justified acclamation always stemmed from the fact that Yes so obviously kept on attempting to push (their own) boundaries - be it successfully or not. I mean, didn't/hasn't all the pionéering progressive acts operated with that aim - sans the damn quotation marks? Were Yes "consciously" avant-garde on creating stuff like "Five Per Cent for Nothing", "The Ancient" or "Sound Chaser", or when spiking that "Delirium" mid-section with musique concréte? Yes, indeed I believe they strived to be. Were they at other times "consciously" accessible? Of course they were. With or without the relative factor of a receiving (i.e. listening) end by which success or not would be asserted. But yeah - 'progressive rock' at its core of inherent virtue did/does constitute concepts and/or visions of the avant-garde.

As for Jon, the only tag he actively denied (as known) was the legendary "strawberry bricks". Which I always found a brilliant statement, truth be told.

On the contrary, much of their justified acclamation always stemmed from the fact that Yes so obviously kept on attempting to push (their own) boundaries - be it successfully or not. I mean, didn't/hasn't all the pionéering progressive acts operated with that aim - sans the damn quotation marks? Were Yes "consciously" avant-garde on creating stuff like "Five Per Cent for Nothing", "The Ancient" or "Sound Chaser", or when spiking that "Delirium" mid-section with musique concréte? Yes, indeed I believe they strived to be. Were they at other times "consciously" accessible? Of course they were. With or without the relative factor of a receiving (i.e. listening) end by which success or not would be asserted. But yeah - 'progressive rock' at its core of inherent virtue did/does constitute concepts and/or visions of the avant-garde.

As for Jon, the only tag he actively denied (as known) was the legendary "strawberry bricks". Which I always found a brilliant statement, truth be told.
    You covered me completely there, I would even use the same examples.

I mean, didn't/hasn't all the pionéering progressive acts operated with that aim - sans the damn quotation marks?.
    The great ones all did. Yes.

and I guess I don't know the 'strawberry bricks' story; i didn't know where that came from.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

P.S.
    Richard, you're so dry in your 'humor' that I can't always tell what you are getting at! And I'm only half a dummy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Richard, you're so dry in your 'humor' that I can't always tell what you are getting at!
    That's what my wives always said on finally leaving me; "Is that a cry or a grin, shitface?" To which I'd might respond: "Look, I'm drowning, not waving!"

Ian