Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current bands with odd time signatures

Current bands with odd time signatures

I'm doing workshops next week, for late teens, partially involving odd time signatures. Can you please give examples of songs by current, fashionable bands THAT KIDS TODAY MIGHT LISTEN TO (I dunno, maybe Coldplay ? man, I'm outta touch), which use odd timings ?

Many thanks !

The two that I can think of aren't honestly THAT recent: Outkast's "Hey Ya" might, just might be relevant.

Before that, Seal had a minor radio song with 'Dreaming in Metaphors' but I don't think it ever even cracked the top 100 (and we're talking Seal 2 here so...what, the mid/late 90's?). Edit: yeah, Seal isn't going to matter to the younger generation these days. My bad on that one. And while I believe Outkast is defunct, they may still be known/relevant to younger kids.

You might also look at some of the more adventurous rappers these days, as their sense of timing is often interestingly fluid (possibly Kendrick Lamar, for example).

Sorry, wish I could help more.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

OK Go - WTF?
    The National - Demons
    Arcade Fire - Modern Man
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Asking for CURRENT BANDS with any kind of MUSICAL COMPLEXITY that teenagers MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF sounds like an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    OK Go - WTF?
    That is a perfect example. I thank you.

"Paranoid Android" by Radiohead (20 years old, but I think they are as "current" as some of the other bands mentioned so far)

Try Everything Everything.Fourth album just released.

or any of their records. Get to Heaven, their previous album I've noticed has become a bit of favorite. But as for odd times, it's no exception.

Violent Femmes

OK Go always do fascinating videos, don't they. They did the zero G one in the vomit comet, they did that massive Rube Goldberg video.

Moving Away by My Morning Jacket is in 3/4 time.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 09-04-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Coheed and Cambria, right? Plus, haven't a lot of young people heard of Dream Theater, Rush, etc? I think the assumption that it has to be NEW or YOUNG bands is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Coheed and Cambria, right? Plus, haven't a lot of young people heard of Dream Theater, Rush, etc? I think the assumption that it has to be NEW or YOUNG bands is a mistake.
    No, "a lot" of young people (i.e. under 25) of today most likely haven't heard much of Rush or DT. And the assumption that it has to be new or young was obviously not a mistake. The way I understand Dave, he's looking for something altogether established and currently somewhat popular in the grander scheme of things. Which "prog" is not and will never ever be again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not sure it fits the criteria, but my 18-year old son is into prog-metal (and plain metal) and his favorite band is Haken. Lots of odd meters ( 7/8, 11/8, etc). My 17-year old nephew likes them also - went to the Philly show last week.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, but this is one my son's into and I think it's a somewhat unusual time signature:

Meshuggah
    Magma

And jazz, but the best for odd time signatures:

Don Ellis

The Don Ellis Orchestra was different from most other big bands in several ways; most obviously in its instrumentation (discussed below), but also in Ellis's incorporation of Indian musical elements into modern big-band writing. Drawing from his compositional and arranging experience, as well as from his studies of Indian music, Ellis began to write jazz-based music with the time signatures he had studied with Rao. These included not only 5/4, 7/8, and 9/4, but also more complex rhythmic cycles like 19/8 and 27/16. In the future, Ellis would use many more complex meters, as well as complex subdivisions of more standard meters. Many of these more complex cycles were inspired by Ellis's later interest in Eastern European folk music, such as that of Greece and Bulgaria.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Meshuggah
    Magma
    Hey, I love both of 'em. But despite their somewhat 'toonish quality and those children's choir recordings of Kobaļan lore and everything, I tend to get the feeling that youngsters aren't all that into cosmic eschatologies or Vanderisms on a larger scale. The 'shuggas are the prevailing granddads of math-metal of course, yet the overt technicalities of their music often seem to bypass active consciousness on the part of their everyday listener. Which would actually pose them as prone to more 'scientific' demonstration, I suppose.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Last year I saw Magma in Helsingborg, and there were to my surprise quite many young headbanging longhairs with metal affinity.
    Th rest was the usuals: male, fat, old, bald, glasses...

Jesus, that's me!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Last year I saw Magma in Helsingborg, and there were to my surprise quite many young headbanging longhairs with metal affinity. The rest was the usuals: male, fat, old, bald, glasses...
    I'm not saying they're without a certain niche- and fringe-appeal among various youngster subcultures. But they aren't exactly stalwarts either. It's been 11 years already since I saw Magma here in Oslo, and there were quite a few younger folks in attendance as well - even women. In fact, the women were some of the worst, wildest, most furiously frightening and dangerous folks there.

Fatty male oldies without hair and wearing glasses were present too, but not dominant. Me myself I'm getting pretty old all the sooner, yet I've still got hair and I'm not all that fat and I've got fair eyesight - so the only glass in reach will be in my hand. But I'm not representative.

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard
    Deerhoof
    These New Puritans
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Jesus, that's me!
    It's most of us, more or less

old-fans.jpg

Many great examples, so I thank you all !