Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tim Buckley "The Complete Album Collection" coming

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for Blue Afternoon: Yeah. It's one of my fave 'second drinkday' opening choices, with that reassuring and ethereal aura to it.

Starsailor is nowhere near as "difficult" as it's made out to be. Except for that amazing title track, that is. It's actually quite raw and groovy in Places, tricky and refined in others. Greetings has a couple of great tracks, but never left me too much of an impression; the 'Van Morrison' antic didn't really fit or stick. Sefronia is weak and ill-advised, albeit for a couple of highlights. Truth be told, he wasn't worse at orchestral adult pop than the sexy funk'n'soul thang of his previous effort. Still, the only really, really bad album he created was Look at the Fool; seriously uninspired and featuring nothing even remotely memorable, he's simply not into this at all - not the songs themselves, not the arrangements, not the performance. Avoid.
    Thanks for all this insight. Lorca the track is absolutely otherworldly, like a swansong coming from the border of dimensions.

I wonder if Pat Kilroy wasn't a great predecessor and if Buckley was aware of his music. There are many common points here, early death being the most obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Starsailor is nowhere near as "difficult" as it's made out to be. Except for that amazing title track, that is. It's actually quite raw and groovy in Places, tricky and refined in others.
    It's only crazy difficult if you were a long time fan and wanted Goodbye and Hello again....
    Starsailor is indeed not that complicated (especially compared to Lorca), but Tim's vocals and Bunk Gardner's brass intervention do make it a WTF album... If my GF can "take" Happy/Sad, she hollers in pain at Lorca and Starsailor

Lorca remains his most daring effort/achievement - and that gloomy title track in particular. Some of his motions in vocalizations there are almost uncanny.
    Lorca tends to be the studio album I reach for the most.
    Wish I could say the same, but I really have to be in the mood for it and wait for the GF to be out of ear range for a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Thanks for all this insight. Lorca the track is absolutely otherworldly, like a swansong coming from the border of dimensions.
    But actually waited way too long to cross that "dimension border"/ He'd landed back on earth and did his worse works before departing for good.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Starsailor is indeed nit that complicated (especially compared to Lorce) [...] If my GF can "take" Happy/Sad, she hollers in pain at Lorca and Starsailor [...] I really have to be in the mood for it and wait for the GF to be out of ear range for a few hours
    That's it. Nit Lorce GF Ear Range is hereby the nomen of my upcoming trans-avant-prog project. Huge Steve Neal-son and Moondog influens.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am listening to Driftin' from Lorca and this Tim guy has a cool voice, if he could only control his emotions somehow, I think he has to discipline a bit his talent, IMO. YMMV of course.

I just pre-ordered from Amazon UK, where it was converted to $34.54 USD incl shipping.

Pre-ordering from Amazon US would have been $49.62.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Oh my god, what an ape I've been, Starsailor is a masterpiece! Could very well be his masterpiece, a perfect blend of experimental music, fusion and folk. I think it's more advanced than Lorca, at least vocally. (and, no doubt, Demetrio Stratos had heard this...a lot).

I bet they were armies of angry folksters denigrating him as "traitor to the folk" with this one.

I'm immersed in this collection right now, and my biggest question to myself is "why tf did I stop buying his work after Happy Sad back then"??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Oh my god, what an ape I've been, Starsailor is a masterpiece! Could very well be his masterpiece, a perfect blend of experimental music, fusion and folk. I think it's more advanced than Lorca, at least vocally. (and, no doubt, Demetrio Stratos had heard this...a lot).

I bet they were armies of angry folksters denigrating him as "traitor to the folk" with this one.
    I'd say Lorca is his masterpiece... or certainly his most "out there" album... But unlike Lorca, Starsailor was very difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm immersed in this collection right now, and my biggest question to myself is "why tf did I stop buying his work after Happy Sad back then"??
    beats me... I started buying Buckley from Happy/Sad onwards (I shunned G&H back then), but that was in the mid-80's.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-27-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Oh my god, what an ape I've been, Starsailor is a masterpiece!
    yep.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

yep.

I do need to check out this stuff. This thread was a good reminder.

There is something in Buckley's music that goes well beyond analysis, categorization, reviewing, influences etc - that defies completely the domain of the verbal. I don't know if I could say this for many - or any - other musicians. It is the sign of authentic genius.

There is something in Buckley's music that goes well beyond analysis, categorization, reviewing, influences etc - that defies completely the domain of the verbal. I don't know if I could say this for many - or any - other musicians. It is the sign of authentic genius.
    Well said!

So before this thread was started I had s/t,G & H & Happy Sad, and TB had gotten lost over the years in terms of listening. Now I have the collection and yesterday ordered the Troubadour live & the live 1967 Folklore Center cds.

THIS MUST STOP!!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Maybe you thought he was a traitor to the Folk???

But, kidding aside, better late than never. It is a privilege for us all to be able to connect with such beauty.

That's a nice way of hearing/seeing it. I belive both he and his son did possess an 'organic' talent and creativity, and Starsailor exposes all aspects and levels of it. Although a fantastic singer, his abilities weren't primarily of a technical nature. But there was even more; when you see that TV rendition of "Song to the Siren" (from the '67 Monkees' show), it's indeed very apparent how there was also an extremely strong charismatic presence involved - and not only visually but in the sound itself. Those chords and words and vibes would arguably not have worked on the same level coming from another initial source.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That's a nice way of hearing/seeing it. I belive both he and his son did possess an 'organic' talent and creativity, and Starsailor exposes all aspects and levels of it. Although a fantastic singer, his abilities weren't primarily of a technical nature. But there was even more; when you see that TV rendition of "Song to the Siren" (from the '67 Monkees' show), it's indeed very apparent how there was also an extremely strong charismatic presence involved - and not only visually but in the sound itself. Those chords and words and vibes would arguably not have worked on the same level coming from another initial source.
    Actually I wrote this post after just having returned home early in the morning and having watched the video you are referring to for the umpteenth time (are you spying me???). Angelic figure, but not in the sense of sheer kindness. It's beauty, terror and love at the same time. The source is Elsewhere.

The source is Elsewhere.
    Precisely. And with a capital 'E'.

But I don't need to spy, as I already see all things. Which of course means that I don't do anything but spy. I didn't choose to, though. I was appointed by the board of wobbly-goblin-gnomes, keepers of the unholy entartete kunst-munster.

I'm listening to Venice Mating Call, and it's really good. Very fine sound, very fine performances and Tim seems in great spirits and voice.

Lorca is slaying right now.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I just picked up Venice Mating Call an hour ago after special-ordering it at the local record store. Can't wait to hear it later tonight...