Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the best sounding CD pressings of the Genesis albums?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Don't ask me. I'd just tell you to buy a turntable.

;-)
    I just blew my wad on a 2-week family extravaganza to Europe, but I think I'm going to pick up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm sure you're correct, but you were the one who recommended the DE Wind way back when
    Sorry for that.

There was a time when I didn't know if any CD version of Wind had bass besides the DE, but I then learned better. The discs pressed for Atco and V/C by Sanyo (US or JPN are the same) sound damn good. Not vinyl good, but acceptable. The stereo image isn't quite right as I recall, but it's still the best mastering for CD. Something went wrong on Wind when SRC took over pressing for Atlantic. They are usually great, but Wind ended up sounding anemic.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I just blew my wad on a 2-week family extravaganza to Europe, but I think I'm going to pick up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT in the fall.
    Don't overlook U-Turn. Their Orbit TT's are very good. Even the base models at less than $200 will get you going, but you can spend a bit more and get a better cartridge and/or other custom upgrades.

Sorry for that.

There was a time when I didn't know if any CD version of Wind had bass besides the DE, but I then learned better. The discs pressed for Atco and V/C by Sanyo (US or JPN are the same) sound damn good. Not vinyl good, but acceptable.
    Had the old V/C Wind on a while back, and it's definitely on the trebly side, which is never to my taste...my least favourite of those discs.

Sorry for that.

There was a time when I didn't know if any CD version of Wind had bass besides the DE, but I then learned better. The discs pressed for Atco and V/C by Sanyo (US or JPN are the same) sound damn good. Not vinyl good, but acceptable. The stereo image isn't quite right as I recall, but it's still the best mastering for CD. Something went wrong on Wind when SRC took over pressing for Atlantic. They are usually great, but Wind ended up sounding anemic.
    No need for apologies man- you've done more than you're fair share to provide me lists of great sounding albums at (sometimes) less than a cup of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Had the old V/C Wind on a while back, and it's definitely on the trebly side, which is never to my taste...my least favourite of those discs.
    I agree. Some people think the Nimbus V/C or Sonopress V/C are good, but the only V/C of Wind that sounds good to me is pressed by Sanyo. That one is identical to the US Atco pressed by Sanyo.

^Mine is Nimbus.

Doesn't seem to be any indication of who pressed my ATTWT...about the best I've heard that sound, though.

I also have that little 3" CD of the Spot The Pigeon EP, nice to have as I'm not altogether sure those songs appeared on any other CD until two of them were on the 2nd archive box. (Beyond their revisionist tendencies, I'm not sure why 'Match Of The Day' or 'Me And Virgil' were omitted, as I recall the first disc of that 2nd Archive set is not much beyond an hour!)

I didn't see anyone mention pressings of the Lamb. I bought the original Atco one and found it to be fair but not great.

^As I said I did read that some versions apparently have a hum on it. Mine doesn't- it's a Nimbus pressing. But I don't think the 'definitive remaster' of that one is bad either.

There are really only three masterings of The Lamb on CD:

1. Atco/Virgin-Charisma: All of these are the same no matter where pressed. Only the indexing varies. The hum is there. It's minor. It was on the original UK LP as well.
    2. DE: Heavily no-noised, smiley EQ. Some have speculated this doesn't have the hum because it was digitally removed, not because of a different source tape.
    3. Remix: No words to describe this catastrophe.

Advice: Buy a Mint German Charisma LP for maybe $20. No hum, smooth, detailed and absolutely killer sound. Brilliant.

I remember Nick Davis really criticising the way the original mix of The Lamb... sounded in the Chapter And Verse book. Kind of funny in retrospect given how I feel about some of his work sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I remember Nick Davis really criticising the way the original mix of The Lamb... sounded in the Chapter And Verse book. Kind of funny in retrospect given how I feel about some of his work sounds.
    I think Nick Davis is very talented, but his sound has a certain flavor to it, IMO. On those 70s Genesis albums, it just sounds awful. His work on We Can't Dance makes sense to me for the period. Trying to redo The Lamb to sound like that? Pass.

Dave Hutchins engineered The Lamb. I think it's a wonderful recording. The dynamics and detailed yet smooth presentation are fantastic, IMO. Produced by Genesis and John Burns.

Hutchins later became the house engineer at Conny Plank's studio and Produced all kinds of German stuff.

I am quite surprised, I have most Genesis up to Wind on German Charisma, but in the 80's I couldn't take my turntable and had only a mono tape recorder and re-bought most Genesis on tape which sounded fine to me. I bought then the DE remasters, but I actually haven't listened to them a lot. I bought also some of the Nick Davis remasters for the artwork and the DVD's . I saw that my library has most of the old V/C Cd's and following the general opinion I will copy them.
    Question : What would sound better as MP3 ? A vinyl rip or the V/C CD rip?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"