Thread: Secret Chiefs 3, MoeTar, Bodies Floating Ashore: News, shows...

Secret Chiefs 3, MoeTar, Bodies Floating Ashore: News, shows...

Hey gang - I've been busy. Let's get right down to it:

Secret Chiefs 3 is about to go on tour around the U.S./Canada opening up for Dead Cross - a new band featuring Mike Patton (Mr. Bungle, Faith no More), Dave Lombardo (Slayer) and Michael Crain & Justin Pearson (Retox / the Locust). More info about dates/lineups can be found here: http://webofmimicry.com/deadcrosstour/

Yeah it'll be more of a metal show than usual, but we'll be supplying plenty of the usual non-western madness to sink your teeth into.

Meanwhile MoeTar has a couple local shows in the Bay Area - opening for our pals Free Salamander Exhibit at the Cornerstone in Berkeley on August 12th (also on that bill: Jack O' the Clock!). We'll be debuting a couple new tunes! We also perform at a Nina Simone tribute show at SF Jazz on the 18th.

The painfully underpromoted project Bodies Floating Ashore released a couple 3-song digital "singles" over the past year, including a lovely one last month called "Lull" - featuring some basics I recorded with Dan Rathbun at the old Polymorph Recording studio 15 years ago (!). As always, you can stream and download all these at: https://bodiesfloatingashore.bandcamp.com

Hungry for more? There are other solo albums and whatnot, including the surprise reformation of Loud Stupid Americans (after well over a decade of silence) for a short EP last fall. The basic smorgasbord is here: https://mattlebofsky.bandcamp.com

You read this far? Wow, you rule. Thank you!

- Matt
    Last edited by Lebofsky; 08-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Someone has taken the axiom "Idle hands make idle minds" quite seriously, I see.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hi Matt

Will see you in Boston for the SC3 - Dead Cross gig. That FSE, Moetar, JOTC gig is a sick line-up. Would love to see that concert. Need FSE to come out East.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Need FSE to come out East.
    They were astonishing in Chicago, on Monday night. So tight, so much energy. Dripping with stage presence. One of the best shows that I have seen in quite awhile. Still quite complex, and heavier now, but in a very good way. They played the entire album, and a handful of new songs, which were all great.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    MoeTar has a couple local shows in the Bay Area - opening for our pals Free Salamander Exhibit at the Cornerstone in Berkeley on August 12th (also on that bill: Jack O' the Clock!).
    That's an insanely marvellous troika right there. Three oh-so-different yet 'spiritually' integral acts. Godspeed to this one!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Will miss you guys here in the South East - - - have fun on the tour (no broken bones this time please) !!!

This will be an excellent musical palette !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's an insanely marvellous troika right there. Three oh-so-different yet 'spiritually' integral acts. Godspeed to this one!
    wat he said.

Best of everything for these shows/tours.....Enjoy !!

Bring it to Atlanta.....Love me some Secret Chiefs 3 !!!
    G.A.S -aholic

I'll add more SC3-only dates to the tour announcement as they get confirmed (for starters, we'll be playing in Jersey City, Omaha, Chicago, and Toronto on tour "off" days). But I still think the south east is getting the shaft this time around, which is a bummer. I really enjoy playing that part of the country - from Kentucky to Georgia...

- Matt

Okay one more update: four more show added where SC3 is headlining without Dead Cross. Here's the current list:

Shows with both SC3/Dead Cross:

Aug 11 – Las Vegas NV @ Brooklyn Bowl
    Aug 14 – Dallas, TX @ Gas Monkey Bar & Grill
    Aug 15 – Houston TX @ Warehouse Live
    Aug 16 – Austin TX @ Emo’s
    Aug 19 – San Diego CA @ The Observatory North Park
    Aug 21 – Los Angeles CA @ El Rey Theatre
    Aug 23 – Berkeley CA @ The UC Theatre
    Aug 25 – Vancouver BC @ Vogue Theatre
    Aug 26 – Seattle WA @ The Showbox
    Aug 27 – Portland OR @ Wonder Ballroom
    Aug 29 – Sacramento CA @ Ace of Spades
    Sep 08 – Baltimore MD @ Baltimore Soundstage
    Sep 10 – Philadelphia PA @ Union Transfer
    Sep 11 – Boston MA @ Royale
    Sep 12 – New York NY @ Gramercy Theatre
    Sep 13 – Brooklyn NY @ Warsaw
    Sep 15 – Detroit MI @ St. Andrew’s Hall
    Sep 17 – Milwaukee WI @ Turner Hall Ballroom
    Sep 19 – Minneapolis MN @ First Avenue
    Sep 20 – Lawrence KS @ Liberty Hall
    Sep 23 – Denver CO @ Ogden Theatre

SC3 headlines these shows (without Dead Cross):

Sep 9 – Jersey City NJ @ Monty Hall
    Sep 14 – Toronto ON @ Longboat Hall
    Sep 22 - Ft. Collins @ Downtown Artery
    Sep 24 – Omaha NE @ Reverb Lounge
    Sep 26 – Beat Kitchen @ Chicago IL

- Matt
    Last edited by Lebofsky; 08-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Might be able to swing up to Baltimore for the 9/8 show. Good times ahead
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

i'm going to do my best to swing a trip to Milwaukee , this just sounds too good to miss.

http://downloads.webofmimicry.com/album/book-m

Glad you all finally got around to releasing this after all these years!

stuckouttonguewinkingeye.png

I sold merch for MoeTar Saturday at Cornerstone. Fine show, though the sound man didn't seem to know what he was doing, or
    be very nice about it. Loved the new material and the Nina Simone cover done MoeTar style!

Thanks for the info Matt. September 14th Toronto! I'm there. I just saw a video with Joe Lester of Intronaut playing with you guys. This is, of course, ultra-cool, and I hope that he is on for the whole tour. If not, I'm sure that whoever is playing with you, will be awesome. I am a sucker for that 5-string fretless bass, though.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    The painfully underpromoted project Bodies Floating Ashore released a couple 3-song digital "singles" over the past year, including a lovely one last month called "Lull" - featuring some basics I recorded with Dan Rathbun at the old Polymorph Recording studio 15 years ago (!). As always, you can stream and download all these at: https://bodiesfloatingashore.bandcamp.com
    Hi Matt

I just wanted to say that I really, really enjoy the Bodies Floating Ashore releases. Everything about this project - music, lyrics, vocals, instrumentation and arrangements - just works perfectly for me. I hope you will continue to release Bodies Floating Ashore material in the future.

Geoff
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Replies to some of the above in a second, but it's been a crazy tour thus far, and we officially added another Secret Chiefs 3 show in Ft. Collins at Downtown Artery on September 22nd (I'll edit the above list)!

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    http://downloads.webofmimicry.com/album/book-m
    Glad you all finally got around to releasing this after all these years!
    Yeah - this is usually the album I recommend to all those diving into the catalog for the first time. I've only been in the band for ~6 years and it's all Trey managing the label/band/vision, so I take no credit for releasing this.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I sold merch for MoeTar Saturday at Cornerstone. Fine show, though the sound man didn't seem to know what he was doing, or be very nice about it. Loved the new material and the Nina Simone cover done MoeTar style!
    Thank you! I get the optics may have seemed otherwise, but for the record we're friends with the sound guy, he's a total pro, and he did a heroic job considering the circumstances. Being the second act out of three means we don't get a sound check, and therefore we kinda had to wing it a little bit (us and the sound guy). Maybe you're referring to the house sound person - I missed any of that drama, if there was any.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Thanks for the info Matt. September 14th Toronto! I'm there. I just saw a video with Joe Lester of Intronaut playing with you guys. This is, of course, ultra-cool, and I hope that he is on for the whole tour. If not, I'm sure that whoever is playing with you, will be awesome. I am a sucker for that 5-string fretless bass, though.
    Cool - yeah Joe has been rocking it on the tour thus far! And he's in it for the entire haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    I just wanted to say that I really, really enjoy the Bodies Floating Ashore releases. Everything about this project - music, lyrics, vocals, instrumentation and arrangements - just works perfectly for me. I hope you will continue to release Bodies Floating Ashore material in the future.
    Awesome - that means a lot to me! This project has a small audience (mostly because I haven't gotten around to playing much of this stuff live) so appreciate the shout out. And yes, there's a full album of some of my favorite stuff I've ever done in the works. I've been derailed by other bands hence all the shorter releases to keep things rolling along in the meantime...

- Matt
    Last edited by Lebofsky; 08-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.