Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King Crimson Elements tour boxes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Next:
    https://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-c...018-p1752.aspx

It was also announced in a Burning Shed e-mail though I can't find it listed in their online shop.
    Couldn’t find it either when I looked on my phone, but did find it using the full site on my laptop. Ordered. As usual, less from Burning Shed than DGM, even with shipping.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Couldn’t find it either when I looked on my phone, but did find it using the full site on my laptop. Ordered. As usual, less from Burning Shed than DGM, even with shipping.
    I got back to my desk after 3 hours of meetings and looked again, just going to the King Crimson category like I did before, and there it is.

real question is when will we get the chance to grab that double 10". also less publicized is people who buy the VIP packages get a 4 disc live compilation each disc is recordings from one of the years of the current reunion presumably that will not be made available to keep an exclusive for VIPs. I might have sprung for that if they did it here.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Just placed my order.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    real question is when will we get the chance to grab that double 10". also less publicized is people who buy the VIP packages get a 4 disc live compilation each disc is recordings from one of the years of the current reunion presumably that will not be made available to keep an exclusive for VIPs. I might have sprung for that if they did it here.
    Hopefully torrents will appear.

A Crimson related story:

Tuesday night my son (geezer's ghost) & I went to a reunion gig of Madison band The Gomers, who for over 10 years did a weekly live band karaoke gig until the lead guitarist's wife got "an offer she couldn't refuse" to teach in Qatar, so they went. They were in town for a visit & his former band put Tues night together. I sang Celluloid Heroes/Kinks (not that anyone gives a shit).

Anyway, the founder of this band 35 years ago is a multi-instrumentalist, writer, producer & engineer who's (legally changed) name is Biff Uranus Blumfumgagne. Through Belew, who he had worked with, he was introduced to Fripp, who hired him 7 or 8 years ago as his guitar tech.

At the gig Tuesday night, the band Skyped him in Essen, Germany, where he's traveling with KC (it was 3:30am there), and he played violin on 2 Gomers originals, from Germany, with the band in Madison. Sound and picture quality were surprisingly good.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    A Crimson related story:

Tuesday night my son (geezer's ghost) & I went to a reunion gig of Madison band The Gomers, who for over 10 years did a weekly live band karaoke gig until the lead guitarist's wife got "an offer she couldn't refuse" to teach in Qatar, so they went. They were in town for a visit & his former band put Tues night together. I sang Celluloid Heroes/Kinks (not that anyone gives a shit).

Anyway, the founder of this band 35 years ago is a multi-instrumentalist, writer, producer & engineer who's (legally changed) name is Biff Uranus Blumfumgagne. Through Belew, who he had worked with, he was introduced to Fripp, who hired him 7 or 8 years ago as his guitar tech.

At the gig Tuesday night, the band Skyped him in Essen, Germany, where he's traveling with KC (it was 3:30am there), and he played violin on 2 Gomers originals, from Germany, with the band in Madison. Sound and picture quality were surprisingly good.
    Pretty cool. Was he awake when they Skyped him? Was he expecting the call?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Pretty cool. Was he awake when they Skyped him? Was he expecting the call?
    It was OBVIOUSLY planned, Jed. You don't fill a club w/people and tell them Biff will be there in absentia playing with them from Germany without planning.

If you make any dumb reference to Porcupine Tree, I will shun you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Has anyone determined if Elements 2019 has any of the H&E wrong-speed tracks - there are 4 from the box.

It's still promising that Live in Rome is forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Has anyone determined if Elements 2019 has any of the H&E wrong-speed tracks - there are 4 from the box.
    The Elements CDs should be OK.
    The problem was the source recordings were 44.1 kHz sample rate, which were incorrectly re-sampled to 48 kHz for the H&E DVDs/BDs.
    CDs are 44.1 kHz, so no re-sampling errors should have occurred.

DGMLive announced that they've found a stash of 2014 and 2017 Elements boxes, up for sale, in case anyone is missing one of those and wants one.

The 2017 box with the complete set of Larks performances as a suite is my favorite of the bunch.

The eons are closing
    Oooh - gotta have that....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    So, I'm only a medium-level KC nut - e.g. I don't have any of the recent giant box sets as I don't enjoy low quality audience recordings, and already have a lot of the better quality gigs on Collectors' Club releases, so there's not enough new material included that I would actually listen to.

Until now I also didn't pick up any of the Elements boxes - looking at track listings they just seemed like ragbags of odds & ends. But being a big Larks' man I was intrigued by CD 2 of the 2017 box and got it a couple of days ago. Really digging both discs - surprisingly (to me) coherent and fun listens, obviously assembled and programmed with a lot of care. Plus, because I don't have and won't be getting the giant boxes, a fair number of tracks are ones I wouldn't otherwise have.

So now I'm thinking about the 2014 / 15 / 16 boxes. Any views on these, good or bad?
    Just a point of principle: most live shows in Crimson mega boxes are very good quality. Only the LTIA box is otherwise, because there just weren't many proper recordings.

But Starless and The Road to Red are so stellar that I just put them on my DAP in their entirety, as I wind my way (finally) to getting the book finished (currently working on the penultimate article, which I expect will be done early next week, then 4-5 weeks for the final piece).

I have most of the KCCC releases, but find the mega box sets add a whole lot more to appreciation of the various lineups.

Just my two cents and YMMV.

As for the Elements sets? They are far from ragtag buncha stuff...some of them actually have themes that reveal themselves if you take the time to put things together. So I'd not write them off. They all stand very much on their own.
    Last edited by jkelman; 05-31-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just a point of principle: most love=shows in Crimsoh mega boxes are very good quality. Only the LTIA box is otherwise, because there just weren't many proper recordings.

But Starless and The Road to Red are so stellar that I just put them on my DAP in their entirety, as I wind my way (finally) to getting the book finished (on the penultimate article, whch I expect will be done early next week, then 4-5k weeks for the final piece).

I have most of the KCCC, but find the mega box sets add a whole lot more to appreciation of the various lineups.

As for the Elements sets? They are far from ragtag buncha stuff...some of them actually have themes that reveal themselves if you take the time to put things together. So I'd not write them off. They all stand very much on their own.
    Good thread.

GREAT Post, John!

And I love my complete set of ELEMENT releases. They have so many tasty bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just a point of principle: most live shows in Crimson mega boxes are very good quality. Only the LTIA box is otherwise, because there just weren't many proper recordings.

But Starless and The Road to Red are so stellar that I just put them on my DAP in their entirety, as I wind my way (finally) to getting the book finished (currently working on the penultimate article, which I expect will be done early next week, then 4-5 weeks for the final piece).

I have most of the KCCC releases, but find the mega box sets add a whole lot more to appreciation of the various lineups.

The Larks box is full of great moments. I am a bootleg ear freak so the quality doesn't dissuade me at all. Once you settle in on the quality as you listen it just becomes joy. What a cool set and that compilation of studio material is superb. The early versions of tunes are ace. The Starless and R to Red are must haves.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

I find the Elements boxes too much of a hodgepodge of mixed studio and live material whereas the massive box sets, each focuses on a same era and lineup which makes it a more listener friendly experience IMHO. The Road to Red is the one with the best audio quality and I'm glad because this is my favorite Crimson lineup. My least personal favorite is the Thrak box but is a matter of opinion.

But I have all the big boxes and most of the Elements but yes, the Collectors' Club series are standout.