Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Love genre benders like Rundgren, why not Steven Wilson?

If one wants to mention genre benders, how about Joe Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I agree, and I did in the post, Symphony #1

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I agree, and I did in the post, Symphony #1
    Missed that one, but I think Joe Jackson is pretty much all over the map, not just with Symphony #1

Jon Lord did some genre bending as well.

Great artist. His "Live 1980-86" double album is a must-have, IMO. He covers a lot of ground stylistically (haven't heard his forays into classical, though).

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I read the thread title as "gender bender."

Anyway, I got off the bus after In Absentia, and don't feel like I've missed anything, so I'll read the reviews, but...
    Same here. Got a couple of SW discs for sale, if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Great artist. His "Live 1980-86" double album is a must-have, IMO. He covers a lot of ground stylistically (haven't heard his forays into classical, though).
    I think Symphony #1 is his only foray in that direction, though some other stuff might be a bit on the edge, like Night Music and Heaven & Hell.

He is one of the artists I really admire.

Joe Jackson is awesome. His album Night and Day is a classic, but he has definitely gone all over the map. Love his large ensemble pop albums Blaze of Glory and Laughter & Lust. A truly unique talent.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Joe Jackson is awesome. His album Night and Day is a classic, but he has definitely gone all over the map. Love his large ensemble pop albums Blaze of Glory and Laughter & Lust. A truly unique talent.
    Alas I still miss a lot of his stuff that isn't available at this time, like the 2 albums you mentioned.

I think Symphony #1 is his only foray in that direction, though some other stuff might be a bit on the edge, like Night Music and Heaven & Hell.

He is one of the artists I really admire.
    Will Power (1987 ) was his first 'classical' with rock elements. There are samples and so perhaps more sound tracky than classical. I like it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

is Joe a Cardiacs fan?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Love his large ensemble pop albums Blaze of Glory and Laughter & Lust. .
    The tour in support of the former album was wonderful - great band (Graham Maby!) replete with a four piece brass section that made a mighty sound.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 06-30-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    is Joe a Cardiacs fan?
    Wow...never heard that before. Yeah, it is reminiscent of Cardiacs (always a good thing!). Maybe it's a case of great minds thinking alike, maybe JJ is influenced by Tim Smith. Either way, very cool tune. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Will Power (1987 ) was his first 'classical' with rock elements. There are samples and so perhaps more sound tracky than classical. I like it.
    to bad, a lot of his albums aren't available at this time. It is mostly his early work and his latest albums, but the stuff in between, is missing. I would rather see those rereleased than the umphteenth remaster of whatever classic progressive rockgroup.

Banned
    Why do people think of Rundgren as genre bender? Pop and prog? The most appropriate comparison of Rundgren and Wilson, is that they are musicians and artists, who are outstanding engineers and producers. Outstanding engineers and producers are going to be applicable to any genre. I'm not a fan of a lot of Wilson's art because it's redundant grunge or Floydian regurge. His engineering is tops.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Wow...never heard that before. Yeah, it is reminiscent of Cardiacs (always a good thing!). Maybe it's a case of great minds thinking alike, maybe JJ is influenced by Tim Smith. Either way, very cool tune. Thanks for posting!
    If you like it I would recommend on YouTube his live Heaven & Hell sessions. It is IMHO the best he did, jumping from one genre to another genre, all top notch production. Very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like it I would recommend on YouTube his live Heaven & Hell sessions. It is IMHO the best he did, jumping from one genre to another genre, all top notch production. Very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do. Thanks for the recommendation!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why do people think of Rundgren as genre bender? Pop and prog?
    Because to my mind he isn't committed to any one genre, he goes where the muse inspires him. Unlike many bands that work in one area and thats all they do. Rundgren doesn't, and thats what I personally like about his work.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Because to my mind he isn't committed to any one genre, he goes where the muse inspires him. Unlike many bands that work in one area and thats all they do. Rundgren doesn't, and thats what I personally like about his work.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, perhaps not within your personal frame of reference. But then again to apply "Supper's Ready" or "Close to the Edge" as some sort of imagined extreme by which to measure, you give positions away. Experimental rock music moved beyond that more than 40 years ago.

"Song of I" is pop music by many standards. Which isn't bad in itself, as long as the tune holds up - which this one doesn't.
    Timmy Smith calls Cardiacs 'Pop' --- I'm not arguing with Timmy.

I have revisited my Steve Wilson collection and I think that the whole premise of this thread is false. Wilson has never been a genre bender, or he pretended to be. His music is rather uniform, a mix of space and post rock. He is actually quite good in it, although the genre sound is rather limiting.

Rundgren on other hand is more adventurous in his endeavors. More fairer comparison for Rundgren would be like Zappa (already done in this thread), David Bowie or Czeslaw Niemen.

I have revisited my Steve Wilson collection and I think that the whole premise of this thread is false. Wilson has never been a genre bender, or he pretended to be. His music is rather uniform, a mix of space and post rock. He is actually quite good in it, although the genre sound is rather limiting.
    Does this collection include Bass Communion, IEM, No-Man, and Blackfield?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Does this collection include Bass Communion, IEM, No-Man, and Blackfield?
    Blackfield ...PT and solo

I have checked some comments on Black Communion, IEM. The description claims music inspired by krautrock, electronic music. Would not be another way to say inspired by spacerock and postrock?
    Last edited by Progmatic; 07-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Blackfield ...PT and solo
    So you based your judgment on his ability to bend genres by only listening to his prog/rock albums?

Let me respond by saying all fruit tastes like apples. I sampled granny smith, fuji, and red delicious, so any premise suggesting fruit can taste like grapes or bananas is false.

Check out his dance-pop (No-Man), ambient (Bass Communion), krautrock (IEM), and get back to us. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    So you based your judgment on his ability to bend genres by only listening to his prog/rock albums?

Let me respond by saying all fruit tastes like apples. I sampled granny smith, fuji, and red delicious, so any premise suggesting fruit can taste like grapes or bananas is false.

Check out his dance-pop (No-Man), ambient (Bass Communion), krautrock (IEM), and get back to us. Thanks.
    As per my previous comment modification: I have checked some comments on Black Communion, IEM. The description claims music inspired by krautrock, electronic music. Would not be another way to say inspired by spacerock and postrock?

Here's some music. If these are all variations on the same style to your ears, we process music differently and should just agree to disagree.