Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Allan Holdsworth

RIP Allan Holdsworth

Sad news (From Facebook).

"It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing our beloved father Allan Holdsworth. We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, grandad, friend and musical genius. We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome. We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing. He is missed tremendously.

Much Love,
    Louise Holdsworth, Emily Holdsworth, Sam Holdsworth & Rori"

Very sad. When I first heard his work years ago I also picked up some of his books and found that I could barely play the chords as my hands were too small!

What!!.
    Man ... !
    So sad!!
    RIP!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    Oh no! WTF happened? Another sad day...

Nooooooo......have tix for .....nooooooo.

This will take awhile to set in. Rest In Peace Allan. Thank you for so, so much.

Nooooooooo.....
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

RIP
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

R.I.P. Allan Holdsworth - one of my all time guitar heroes!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

RIP. An incomparable genius of the guitar.

Like John McLaughlin said about him, I'd steal everything Allan was doing, if only I could figure out what the heck it was that he was doing.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry I never managed to see him on CTTE (except in passing). At least I saw him at NEARfest. RIP Allan.

Very sad. What a uniquely talented guy he was.

Sad news. He and Ollie Halsall can have legato slugfest again...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Just read this elsewhere, what truly sad and shocking news, what an amazing talent. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated your thread title.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This is very sad news. I was fortunate to have met Allan a few times and see him play live many times.
    His music is so important to me.

That's very sad. I mostly know his work from UK, but I do like some of his solo pieces and his work with Bruford and Gong. He was an incredible monster of a guitarist, with a distinctive style and a powerful ability to think outside the box. RIP.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

So sad, saw him with U.K. and the solo opening for Chick Corea's Elektrik Band. What a talent!

This one is hitting me hard.

My favorite guitarist by far.

Me good friend ( a top LA studio musician), and pretty close with Alan had this to say about him:

"his innovative, unique approach to improv is unmatched. The greatest jazz soloists (McCoy, Brecker, Freddie, Coltrane, etc.), all had predecessors on their respective instruments that they copped licks from and modified with their own voice. There clearly is no guitar lineage leading up to Allan's approach. This freak landed ship with a completely new vocabulary not based on anything that was already established. No blues, pentatonics, bop, post-bop...NOTHING."
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

RIP. A sad day indeed.
    A musical genius.
    There are several of his songs I would include in the "Most Beautiful Songs Ever Written" not the shred stuff.
    His lyrical styling ...just really gets to me.
    I don't play, but if I did his is the example I would shoot for.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Holy shit! RIP. Another of the giants gone...

Was just listening to Bundles this morning. RIP...

I am devastated. No words.

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

He defined the phrase one of a kind which is also one of my all time favorite albums. RIP to a master

Unreal, but as the man had been struggling with personal demons it hasn't been a total shock. Nevertheless what a terrible loss. I'm so glad I got to see him play live once.

RIP Allan

I'm stunned. Feels like losing a family member. I just got the Eidolon collection a few days ago & listened over & over. Too sad. [emoji22]