Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magma TOUR updates!

Ehn Deiss was the encore. It is actually an Offering composition, but quite gorgeous.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I can't wait for their concert in Brazil in november.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I just feel like this is the time they're really going to get MDK right!
    This turned out to be kind of bang on :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Ehn Deiss was the encore. It is actually an Offering composition, but quite gorgeous.

Nice! I love Offering.

Yes that was it.

I don't know the Offering stuff at all - is that typical of their sound?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw The Offering at RIO a few years ago, to be honest it didn't really grab me. I'm not that enamored with Christian singing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Yes that was it.

I don't know the Offering stuff at all - is that typical of their sound?
    Yes and no, kind of an acoustic jazzier version of Magma based on piano , vocals and percussion. It's influenced by Coltrane and Sanders and has longer improvisations. If you like Magma and Coltrane you should check the records

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Yes and no, kind of an acoustic jazzier version of Magma based on piano , vocals and percussion. It's influenced by Coltrane and Sanders and has longer improvisations. If you like Magma and Coltrane you should check the records
    Yeah, but there's at times also much more of the 'faux-gospel' influx going on with Offering. Which I'll admit to not truly like at all, except when as skewed as on Attahk. I'd personally rather recommend the Christian Vander Trio before Offering, although the CVT operate more squarely in 'jazz as known'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There are some incredibly phenomenal Offering tunes: the one I love best is their showstopper, the 45-minute Another Day, which brings in specific elements of John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders (A Love Supreme, and Upper and Lower Egypt). It has incredible vocalese between Christian and Stella.

Always loved "Joia" - if you want 17 minutes of Vander scatting it'll be right up your alley!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yeah, but there's at times also much more of the 'faux-gospel' influx going on with Offering. Which I'll admit to not truly like at all, except when as skewed as on Attahk.
    Definitely true, and I'm not always nuts about that aspect myself... But there are still some really powerful and interesting pieces, like "A Fiieh" and "Purificatem". At times they are more harmonically fascinating than Magma, to me at least.

But I'm kind of a sucker for the giddy joyousness of tunes like "C'est Pour Nous" also.

Move past the percussion solo to get a sense of Joia.

I wonder what the lyrics are about here, because this seems really a dark song.

There's hardly more soul or gospel to be had, is there:

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Btw; would a bonafide racist do this?

He just has some really unsolved issue with his (Gypsy) father, otherwise he proved not to be an racist at all.

Is that Jannick or Francis playing that tasty bass?

Love it

Speaking of which, I'm still wanting to hear your thoughts on the whole Christian Vander controversy thing.

Jean Marc Jafet on fretless bass.

* * "After 3 intense years traveling the planet, Magma will not be on the road in 2018, except for an exceptional event. Our program is recording a new studio album. Keep posted for some new adventures." **

https://www.magmamusic.org/en/tour/
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

^The exceptional event being a concert at the Jazz à Vienne festival in the summer.

Our program is recording a new studio album
    Zess. Has to be;.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    * * "After 3 intense years traveling the planet, Magma will not be on the road in 2018, except for an exceptional event. Our program is recording a new studio album. Keep posted for some new adventures." **

https://www.magmamusic.org/en/tour/
    <sig out of order>

A new Magma album is always a joy. I hope it is not Zess, because IIRC Christian Vander has often said this would be his last recorded piece, with Magma, at least.

So, I know little about Magma, but clicking on videos above put me down a youtube hole, and just listened to several versions of this song (kobaian and french) over my streetcart lamb and rice, and damn if this isn't spectacular piece of music.